German Shepherds Forum banner

What would you do?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  KatsMuse 
#1 ·
We live "out" of town by about 15 miles, but are in a "hobby farm" area, where parcels are 2-40 acres. Gravel roads, no curbs or sidewalks very hilly etc.

For whatever reason, most of the neighbors (and I use that term loosely because to me "neighbor" should mean someone responsible and friendly) do not restrain their dogs. At All. Most own 2-5 dogs of varying sizes. Some stay close to their houses, but most wander at least into the road. Some are not very friendly.

My 12 year old Cardi (Corgi) was weighed before christmas and has put on a few pounds which is a lot for that long back. My youngest daughter offered to walk him when she gets home from school everyday. At first it was down the driveway to the mailboxes and back, not quit a 1/4 mile round trip. As he's gotten better with it (and incidentally is doing FAR better with the steps into and in the house), she's started going gradually further. Now she's getting into the neighbor zone with dogs that come out into the road and follow her and one has charged her. She uses her big voice (she's taller than I am and has my big voice) and size and tells them "GO HOME!" and they have, so far.

Would you get her some pepper spray to carry? She wants to just carry a newspaper stick (rolled up newspaper) but I don't want her or Tank getting tangled up with dogs.

See less See more
#2 ·
"Not very friendly dogs" don't get very far with me. I was riding in the country on my bike in May of '10 when I had a very large aggressive Lab puncture my calf. I smacked him around and he released me.

The next week I bought a law enforcement formula peper spray called FOX. Extrememly effective against two and four legged animals.

I bought the party-size canister with the pistol grip and safety pin in the trigger mechanism. It fits in the water bottle holder on my bike with a thin piece of foam wrapped around it. I also carry it on all walks that I go on with or without Lisl.

To many irresponsible dog owners for me to take any more chances and being unprepared.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the brand name and yes, I agree. I'm sick and tired of these dogs running rampant. They slow down the school buses and make a snarl of what little traffic we have...and end up getting hit by cars but the owners apparently really don't much care. By the time I call Animal Control and they actually come out, the dogs are, of course, back home. :rolleyes:

I personally wouldn't use a newspaper - too many people use that as punishment so her having one could create some issues. I think pepper spray or something of the sort is just fine. Is there anything like bear spray?? I would also notify your neighbors and/or the owners if the dogs that this is what your daughter is going to be doing so there are no surprises.

I make in scheduled calls - in person - to people's homes and businesses for work and I often run into animals. I carry dog treats in my car!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
We could totally get bear spray easily since we have so many bears around and are close to wilderness areas where there are grizzlies. Good idea!

I should add that our UPS driver and USPS mail carrier both carry dog treats...in the USPS case, I'd rather she didn't because when she stops to deliver mail, all the dogs that are loose in the surrounding area come running and converge on her car!

#3 ·
I personally wouldn't use a newspaper - too many people use that as punishment so her having one could create some issues. I think pepper spray or something of the sort is just fine. Is there anything like bear spray?? I would also notify your neighbors and/or the owners if the dogs that this is what your daughter is going to be doing so there are no surprises.

I make in scheduled calls - in person - to people's homes and businesses for work and I often run into animals. I carry dog treats in my car!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
She's 14. As I said, she's actually taller than I am and goes for walks in the area often. I don't worry about creeps and her so much, but I do worry about the dog issue. She says she's not that concerned but would like to have a back up plan if she does get charged by one. I'm afraid Tan would try to protect her and get hurt and then she'd try to break it up and end up hurt. But she's determined to make this work.

#8 ·
#9 ·
#11 ·
I don't worry about creeps and her so much, but I do worry about the dog issue.
I didn't even think about any "creeps", I bet that bear spray would work wonders on one of them :laugh:

I just hope these dogs don't run in packs, that would be pretty scary for anyone but especially a kid if they decided to charge. I remember a few years ago a lady got killed by a pack of dogs. She was out mowing the lawn when they attacked her :( Not trying to scare you but I thought of this story.
76-year-old woman killed in yard by pack of dogs | Deseret News

#15 · (Edited)
There was an older thread poll before that had some interesting answers/ opinions on carrying protection. In case you missed it:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-you-carry-protection-against-dog-attack.html

And, my answer is still the same:

"Yes..most definitely. Protection against any attack - I carry my asp baton and "other".
No spray for me... Don't want want that blowing back on me in the wind.
And, always the cellphone."

:) Kat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.