What would you do? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't worry about creeps and her so much, but I do worry about the dog issue.
I didn't even think about any "creeps", I bet that bear spray would work wonders on one of them

I just hope these dogs don't run in packs, that would be pretty scary for anyone but especially a kid if they decided to charge. I remember a few years ago a lady got killed by a pack of dogs. She was out mowing the lawn when they attacked her Not trying to scare you but I thought of this story.
76-year-old woman killed in yard by pack of dogs | Deseret News

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My recommendation (I go overboard sometimes so sorry LOL!):
Bear spray
ANNND
Baton or knight-stick (preferably one that can be folded into itself for easier carrying)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dognite View Post
We live "out" of town by about 15 miles, but are in a "hobby farm" area, where parcels are 2-40 acres. Gravel roads, no curbs or sidewalks very hilly etc.

For whatever reason, most of the neighbors (and I use that term loosely because to me "neighbor" should mean someone responsible and friendly) do not restrain their dogs. At All. Most own 2-5 dogs of varying sizes. Some stay close to their houses, but most wander at least into the road. Some are not very friendly.

My 12 year old Cardi (Corgi) was weighed before christmas and has put on a few pounds which is a lot for that long back. My youngest daughter offered to walk him when she gets home from school everyday. At first it was down the driveway to the mailboxes and back, not quit a 1/4 mile round trip. As he's gotten better with it (and incidentally is doing FAR better with the steps into and in the house), she's started going gradually further. Now she's getting into the neighbor zone with dogs that come out into the road and follow her and one has charged her. She uses her big voice (she's taller than I am and has my big voice) and size and tells them "GO HOME!" and they have, so far.

Would you get her some pepper spray to carry? She wants to just carry a newspaper stick (rolled up newspaper) but I don't want her or Tank getting tangled up with dogs.
DO NOT WALK your dog in that environment unless you want a dead dog. I have 5 acres. My dogs get walked on my property or I will take them in the car to somewhere safe. I would definitely not let a kid walk a dog in that environment.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just wanted to point out another problem with these hobby farm areas like we are in. We have a ton of sex offenders in the area... So if a stray dog doesn't get your kid one of the wierdo's might.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

There was an older thread poll before that had some interesting answers/ opinions on carrying protection. In case you missed it:

Do You Carry Protection Against Dog Attack?

And, my answer is still the same:

"Yes..most definitely. Protection against any attack - I carry my asp baton and "other".
No spray for me... Don't want want that blowing back on me in the wind.
And, always the cellphone."

Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 01-10-2013 at 03:44 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.