The best time to add another to the pack? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,780
Default The best time to add another to the pack?

When is the best time? Berlin is 6 months. I would obviously not get anther puppy for at least a year, but what is the best age gap for getting two dogs? Would a male or female get along with Berlin better? Only reason I ask is because my shepherd mix is really getting up there (15 years old or so) and her time is getting shorter. I'd definitely want another female in the future, just at the right time


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
SG Berlin vom Hokschhaus - BA-1, UNJ, CGC, HIC, TC
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GsdLoverr729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,516
Default

I think 2-3 yrs is a good age gap, depending on your abilities. Koda is 2 yrs, 9 months and I am preparing to get our next shepherd. (:
__________________
Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
GsdLoverr729 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
elisabeth_00117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 8,744
Default

I personally think it is a individual thing..

I brought Zefra home (she was 3 months) when Stark was just over 2 years old. Stark was an "easy" dog to own, once we got his reactivity under control!

Zefra is a fun dog, tones of work in regards to her training schedule... lol.. my fault, not hers... lol... but again, a pretty easy dog to live with (for me).

I would like to add another dog and there are a few breedings I am looking at but nothing is set in stone.

Only YOU know what you can handle and what works for YOU.
__________________
K-W German Shepherd Club
elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,268
Default

I do think its based on the individual and the dogs in question. Mine is 16 months and I feel I can bring another one(must be a male, three females would be pushing it IMO) in at any time and it would be fine. Now my oldest dog is 8 and the golden is 3, which means the golden was just going on 2 when I brought in the GSD and it worked out beautifully. The bad part is that the closer they are in age, the closer together they will pass away. With mine, my oldest has the potential to go until about 15..so that is 7 years, at which time my golden will be 10 and GSD 8.5 I'm potentially looking at all my dogs going within two years or so of each other....it will be very bad for me
__________________
Misty- Samoyed Mix
Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- German Shepherd CGC, TC
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I think 2-3 yrs is a good age gap, depending on your abilities. Koda is 2 yrs, 9 months and I am preparing to get our next shepherd. (:
Thats what I was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I personally think it is a individual thing..

I brought Zefra home (she was 3 months) when Stark was just over 2 years old. Stark was an "easy" dog to own, once we got his reactivity under control!

Zefra is a fun dog, tones of work in regards to her training schedule... lol.. my fault, not hers... lol... but again, a pretty easy dog to live with (for me).

I would like to add another dog and there are a few breedings I am looking at but nothing is set in stone.

Only YOU know what you can handle and what works for YOU.
Thanks! I know I definitely could not handle another right now, Berlin is ALOT of work! He is very high energy/drive. So before I even think about adding another, I want him to be trained, and mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I do think its based on the individual and the dogs in question. Mine is 16 months and I feel I can bring another one(must be a male, three females would be pushing it IMO) in at any time and it would be fine. Now my oldest dog is 8 and the golden is 3, which means the golden was just going on 2 when I brought in the GSD and it worked out beautifully. The bad part is that the closer they are in age, the closer together they will pass away. With mine, my oldest has the potential to go until about 15..so that is 7 years, at which time my golden will be 10 and GSD 8.5 I'm potentially looking at all my dogs going within two years or so of each other....it will be very bad for me
Thats what I dont want to happen, having the dogs get sick/pass pretty close to each other. I think that atleast two years, probably three is a good time for me. That way Berlin will be 2-3, trained, and can set a good example for the new puppy!! haha, but I guess when my shepherd mix girl passes, i'll also see how it is, with one dog. I wonder how Berlin will do, he loves playing with her. Hopefully she's still got another year or two in her.

Is adding a female to a household with a 2-3 year old male going to cause any problems??
__________________
SG Berlin vom Hokschhaus - BA-1, UNJ, CGC, HIC, TC
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
lennoxbradley88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 190
Default

Well I added my second dog when Schatzi was only 6 months. But I got lucky that Schatzi and Cudi have a chill personality. Cudi is really mellow and friends, while Schatzi has her moments. However, I want to add another one, but I think I will wait till these 2 turn around 2 years or so.
__________________
Mark
Schatzi - German Shepherd 3/5/12
Cudi - Alaskan Malamute 8/17/12
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Kyleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,317
Default

I wouldn't put an age on it, but I would want the older dog to be well balanced, trained, socialized, mature, etc. The last thing you need is the older one teaching the younger one all the bad habits!
__________________
Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, London-cat, Echo-TAG, Ellie-Quaker; www.marionsquilts.com
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
Well I added my second dog when Schatzi was only 6 months. But I got lucky that Schatzi and Cudi have a chill personality. Cudi is really mellow and friends, while Schatzi has her moments. However, I want to add another one, but I think I will wait till these 2 turn around 2 years or so.
glad it ended up working out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I wouldn't put an age on it, but I would want the older dog to be well balanced, trained, socialized, mature, etc. The last thing you need is the older one teaching the younger one all the bad habits!
This is exactly what I was thinking. Whenever Berlin is nicely trained and can be a good example, I will add a puppy (of course....thats going to be a while... )
__________________
SG Berlin vom Hokschhaus - BA-1, UNJ, CGC, HIC, TC
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com