German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   One more question! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/197841-one-more-question.html)

jpgsds 01-04-2013 10:06 PM

One more question!

One other thing, I am undecided on a male or female. I have a female Border Collie/Kelpie mix rescue dog now. She is GREAT. Happy, friendly and gets along with any dog. I have heard it both ways from breeders as to what sex I should get. Ellie is spayed and if we get another female she will be as well. I lean toward the female b/c she would be smaller. Thoughts?

Verivus 01-04-2013 10:18 PM

It's personal preference and knowing your dog. I prefer opposite sexes in my house, but only because my papillon is female and has a dominant personality. Last thing I need right now is SSA. :)

MichaelE 01-04-2013 10:23 PM

For whatever reason, I've always had better success training females. I've had my share of males too, but they seemed a bit more stubborn than the females. It might be also, that the males didn't respond as well as the females to my training methods.

It has just been my experience that females are easier to work with for obedience training. Don't ask me why.

Grizzpup 01-05-2013 02:49 PM

I have three male dogs and they are fine together. If you got a male their might be less fighting for top dog than if you would get a female, but I personally don't think it makes a difference. :)

Cassidy's Mom 01-05-2013 03:03 PM

I love females too, but I've heard too many horror stories about females fighting to ever have two at the same time. Personally, I'd get a male.

arycrest 01-05-2013 04:21 PM

Since you have a bitch I'd get a male. While I've never had a problem with two females together, I personally think the boys are easier to live with than the girls!!!

onyx'girl 01-05-2013 04:23 PM

I'd go opposite sex too...even if they are spayed, there may be some snarkiness(and females tend to hold grudges)

DollBaby 01-06-2013 11:11 AM

I prefer females, and I've had very little trouble with them wanting to fight each other but my kids know when I say no (or ahh ahh, etc), I mean it

Liesje 01-06-2013 11:25 AM

I would ask the breeder what they think. They might know whether the lines have a tendency to get along better one way or another. Or ask the breeder to put you in touch with people who have dogs from the same parents, and see if any of those people have multiple dogs.

ZAYDA 01-06-2013 12:35 PM

I am sure opposite sexes is the best plan of attach. However I have 2 females 12 & 8 and they get along great. I am actually planning on getting a puppy which will also be a female. I want my oldest girl around because she is has the best mothering instincts I could ask for. Not so much from my 8 year old. I believe it's all how you raise them as to how they will get along.