Would You Give Your Dog Away In A Special Circumstance? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
If it was my pug? I'd probably do it. My shepherd? You'd have to pry him out of my cold, dead hands!
There are dogs you would have to pry out of my cold dead hands, like my Shadow GSD or my Boxer mixed with stupid. There are other dogs, I've had that yes if they bonded with someone else and the right home came along I would do it.

We had a Dane who one day decided she wanted to kill our senior shepherd. We kenneled and rotated until one day a friend of my husbands said his Dane was extremely sad because their other one had passed. One day they came out to visit us and brought their Dane to play with her. It was love at first site between the two dogs. For weeks they talked about how wonderful she was and how much their dog loved her. My husband the kids and I talked it over. We all cried but decided she would be better off with another Dane we let them take her. We heard constant updates and she lived out her life with them happy as a dog could be.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Shepherdmom- I LOVE your description of "boxer mixed with stupid". This is how I'd describe my pug.

Shepherds are 'different'. Like my parrots, I'd live in my camper with them before I'd give them up. Talking about being 'sick' where it would be hard to care for them... I got sick years ago when my duo was still with me. They 'knew' something had changed. Their loyalty and understanding was something I think you have to experience to understand. After they were gone, my life spiraled into a dark pit. Grim brought me out of that. We are a 'team'. I'd care for him if he were sick and dying. His loyalty would not end if I got sicker. I've heard from people saying that they 'owed it' to their pets to rehome them when things got tough. I don't believe they'd see it that way. Like parrots, GSDs bond so deeply, do you really think they'd want to leave your side when things get rough? I doubt it. They understand. On my 'bad days' Grim (at just under 6 months), full of so much energy it's hard to contain, will lay and chew on his bone. He follows me around when I get up and checks on me if I'm laying down. He's willing to go this road with me. He's already shown that. We'll stick it out together. He's 'better off' with his partner. No one could love him more.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A few dogs never but, some I have and would do it again. Depends on the person and dog, and what for
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
This question is kinda different.If you met someone who really bonded with your dog and would provide a good home,would you let that person have them?I'm not talking about someone who says 'oh your dog is beautiful',but someone who really emotionally connects with the dog maybe because of a past loss etc ,and the dog connects with them.
Yes, this happened to me. In fact I posted about it recently. I was living with my parents and I had an OES who I adored (she was mine, I paid for her, paid for her food, medical, obedience, etc). When I was ready to move away from home my parents and I had a terrible fight over who should keep Abbey!!! It ended up I had a choice between my parents and my dog ... I made the wrong decision, choose my parents, and they kept my dog. While it's true, she was given all the love and dedication a dog could ask for, I have never forgiven them for taking her.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

I love this question!

I feel like I probably get more from my relationship with Ruki than he does his with me. I work all day, and I do make sure to go outside and play with him every day even when I don't feel like it. I also take him to training classes etc. BUT - I do sometimes think he would be happier in a family with kids to play with, and somebody home all day. So I do think there could probably be a better home for him (although I don't think anybody could love him more than I do).

Bottom line - I am probably too selfish to ever give him up. I cannot imagine getting out of bed in the morning and not having him there to give me my morning kisses.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Shepherdmom- I LOVE your description of "boxer mixed with stupid". This is how I'd describe my pug.

Shepherds are 'different'. Like my parrots, I'd live in my camper with them before I'd give them up. Talking about being 'sick' where it would be hard to care for them... I got sick years ago when my duo was still with me. They 'knew' something had changed. Their loyalty and understanding was something I think you have to experience to understand. After they were gone, my life spiraled into a dark pit. Grim brought me out of that. We are a 'team'. I'd care for him if he were sick and dying. His loyalty would not end if I got sicker. I've heard from people saying that they 'owed it' to their pets to rehome them when things got tough. I don't believe they'd see it that way. Like parrots, GSDs bond so deeply, do you really think they'd want to leave your side when things get rough? I doubt it. They understand. On my 'bad days' Grim (at just under 6 months), full of so much energy it's hard to contain, will lay and chew on his bone. He follows me around when I get up and checks on me if I'm laying down. He's willing to go this road with me. He's already shown that. We'll stick it out together. He's 'better off' with his partner. No one could love him more.
Completely agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #37 (permalink)

Not a "snowballs chance etc.". My family is currently looking at terrible financial problems (wife's been laid off for a year now) and our biggest concern is finding a place to rent where we can have Ranger if we loose our home! I've been approached twice in the last two weeks by people looking to re-home shepherds who are in the same circumstances.
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

Nikon is very aloof, *not* aggressive or skittish, he acts like no one but me and DH exist. There are very, very few people besides us he will even acknowledge, let alone obey or show any desire to interact with. I would never just give him away for any reason, however if anything happened to both DH and I, I already told my friend she can have him. She's one of those few people (maybe the only one besides my younger sister) that Nikon shows any reaction to. I would trust her to keep him, or place him appropriately in my absence.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes. Puppy is bonded with me, but if someone else came along that she likes ALOT more than me, and they can give her a BETTER home than I cam, I would let her go. I love her a ton, but I know what my work schedule looks like, and it isn't pretty. I meet her needs now, but there are definitely families who can give her more. If she showed that she preferred another person to me, I would let her go.

If something were to happen to me, I have told my boyfriend and family that I want Puppy to go back to her breeder. I trust them above anyone else to place her into an appropriate home in my absence.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. They are stuck with me!

Stark would curl up and die if I gave him away... lol. He is so bonded to me that it is crazy. He is also very sensitive and I don't think he has really bonded closely with anyone else. He does love my best friends husband though but shuts down if he gets too rough while playing (rough housing).

I fought tooth and nail for Zefra after a bad co-own agreement with her breeder. She isn't going anywhere no matter the home, working venue, etc.. she and I are bonded and although she would probably be a spectacular working dog with another handler, I just can't part with her. I love that little thing too much and I feel like I bring her softer side out which is needed with a hard little b***h like her.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.