Would You Give Your Dog Away In A Special Circumstance? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I could never part with my dog under any circumstances. Ever.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

If it were my (hubbies) male aussie, yep they can have him I'll pack his bags)) Terrible of me , but we have just never had a close bond like I do with all my other dogs/past and present..And for those, no way, my dogs stay with me thru thick and thin I just don't see my other dogs ever bonding to someone else more than me.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
If you met someone who really bonded with your dog and would provide a good home,would you let that person have them?
I've done this twice.

The first time was when I decided that my boy Gus would be better off in a different home. I had 3 GSDs at the time and was actively showing one in conformation and the other in obedience. Gus had no desire to do anything other than play with a ball so he ended up getting left home alot.

I told the lady that I got Gus from that if she came across the perfect home I would be open to placing him. About a month later she called me. She had a family looking for a grown GSD for their young daughter. The daughter's #1 request was that the dog like to play ball. I brought Gus to me them and he instantly bonded with the little girl. They were best friends for 10 years and she called often to tell me how they were doing. Gus spent 10 years with her - being her confidant, playmate and best friend.

The second time I was bringing one of my puppies over to my breeders house to get her opinion on her. She was about 4 months old and I had high hopes for the breed ring and obedience.

There was a previous customer visiting my breeder at the time. This woman had lost her husband and their dog within months of each other and was hoping my breeder had a young puppy she could take. When I showed up and walked in the house my puppy walked up to the woman, sat down next to her and placed her head on the lady's lap.

They left together and my puppy (um, HER puppy) never even looked back as they drove off. Again - I heard from them often and that puppy was loved like no other.

For those two dogs I saw myself as their 'temporary' home.

With my current pack I would NEVER give up Mauser (GSD), Kaynya, Spike or Fuego (Cresteds). Clark was a returned puppy and although he is happy here I think he would like a home of his own. And although I love Wasabi to DEATH I just keep thinking she would make an awesome dog for a little girl.

They will always have a home with me ... but just maybe it won't be forever.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

This is actually an interesting question. While I dont think I could, But The situation that you described did happen but I was the one that ended up with the dog.

I hadnt had a dog in a while at the time but I fell in love with a friends two german shepherd. he had a male and female. I would go over all the time and hangout and just spend time with the dogs as much as I could. At one point he asked me to watch his dogs while him and his family went on vacation for two weeks. Over the two weeks of having them I bonded really closely with my boy Zor (the male). When they came back and I had to give them back. Zor ended up staying there maybe a month after I had watched them, but he was apperently not the same he was before when I wasnt around. He had seperation anxiety would act kinda depressed and whenever I would come over he would go through the roof with excitement. He ended up asking me if I would like to take him seeing as he had obviously bonded with me so well. I didnt really want to say no because I had really enjoyed having them around so thats how I got my boy actually.
empem90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are always circumstances that come up that you cannot imagine.....I had to rehome Kyra for a couple reasons, but I visited her often and she was happy to see me, but had bonded with her new dad....after the accident last spring, ALL my dogs had to stay elsewhere for 6 months...I think Csabre was the only one who REALLY missed ME....the others all were fine and happy....my old male was happy to see me when he visited after I had been in the hospital 3 months, but he left with his caretaker without a backwards glance LOL SHE had the balls! Csabre was obviously the most bonded and would not leave my side when she visited...Basha was happy to see me...and still is when I get to visit her - but she loves her caretakers and is very happy there, so I don't know if she will come back...right now I am still a bit compromised and the 2 adults are easy to take care of....Basha lives with a Csabre daughter Knova, and they are best buds...I think she likes it there better than here, she gets more activity for sure!

If it is better for the dog, and you cannot take care of them....then you do the right thing for the dog.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

If I die, my dogs will go to my sister. Apart from that there is absolutely no chance my dogs will be going anywhere.

When i bring home a pet, it's a lifelong commitment.

I guess it might be different for people who are involved with the business/working side of things. For example a farmer couldn't keep a dog that was killing his livestock. The farmer would probably just kill the dog rather than re-home but there are reasons why some people can't keep them... but those dogs were not bought as pets in the first place.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Husky and Dobe: No, I would cut someone!
GSD: yes

I don't have a special bond with my GSD, she's a rescue and is not at all what i want in a GSD(look or temperament wise), and I wouldn't think twice about placing her into a good home. However, it won't happen because I made the choice and commitment to bring her into my life and will see through it until the end. Plus my Dobe is her BFF
Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't even rehome my fish....I just get bigger tanks
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would only consider it if it was in my dog's best interest and if my dog(s) truly seemed to bond better with someone else and preferred them over me. I doubt that would ever happen with the way they're attached to me, but you never know.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
If it is better for the dog, and you cannot take care of them....then you do the right thing for the dog.

Lee
This. I couldn't imagine every having to give up rogue, and certainly not just because someone else bonds to her, but ill never really know unless I'm in that situation. I couldn't picture rogue bonding to someone more than me though, she doesn't love other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.