Need place to board my gsd please help:( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need place to board my gsd please help:(

My fiancÚ and I just got a notice on our door that we have to rehome our gsd. We had NO clue he was on a 'vicious breed' list and now my landlady says we have until the 17th to rehome him. I can't do it. I have only had this dog a month but he is the sweetest smartest dog I've ever owned, and he keeps me sane. We got him because I was pregnant and had a baby who had potters syndrome, she only lived for 17 hours. I was devastated, and I really needed something to take my mind off of it, so I started looking for a gsd. My landlady knew and was fine with it. I guess she didn't hear or maybe I didn't specifically state that it was going to be a gsd. I thought I did but in her defense maybe I didn't specify enough when I told her I was looking for a pup. On my lease there's nothing at all about pets of any kind, we just were told we would have to pay a pet deposit, but she said we could do that when we renewed our lease. So anyway today the notice was up on our door, and said aggressive dogs are not permitted and also said he was over the weight limit, which confused us because their are people here with pitbulls and great Danes. My fiancÚ went to talk to her and she refuses to budge on the issue. She says he has to go by the 17th. So I was wondering if anyone could board him for about a month. We are moving now, there's no way I could give up my dog, he's been so therapeutic to me. We are willing to pay whatever price to board him. We are in Michigan and I would prefer somewhere within a couple hours of me so I can see him on a regular basis. He is utd on his shots and licensed, I think in a week or two he's due for another shot that they said was a 'booster,' I had to wait three weeks after getting his other vaccines. He is not fixed, because he is only 7 months old and I was told to wait till he's two because that's when they are fully grown. If that is a problem, I would be willing to get him fixed. He is house trained and knows all basic commands. He is good with kids, cats, and dogs. He's pretty low drive. He will bark at strangers but never bites. If someone could board him till we get into a new place I would greatly appreciate it! Like I said I don't care what the cost is, he's so worth it to me! I decided to ask here because I would prefer someone with gsd experience board him. Thanks! Any questions please feel free to ask! He was very abused and underweight when I first got him, so he's a little more wary of men than of women.
Asiakp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

My beautiful sweet boy

Last edited by Asiakp; 01-04-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear this. I wish I was near to help. I'm in L.A. I just want to wish you and your pup the best of luck. Your pup is amazingly beautiful. This is just a suggestion, but maybe you can look up dog daycare that offer boarding around your area. I am not a big believer in sending dogs away for training, but maybe this can be an opportunity for it if everything else fails and you don't have any other options. Best of Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Have you taken pics of the pit and dane to prove that there are large dogs (at least the pit must be on the 'list'). Ask for a copy of their pet policy. If it's not in writing, it doesn't count for squat. Get a lawyer. You can fight this. If you're planning to move soon anyway, it would at least hold off you being kicked out. Don't lose hope yet! Have you looked up Michigan law on this? If not, you need to. Call a lawyer and tell him your story. See what he has to say about it. If you get nowhere with all of that, please PM me and tell me what the lawyer said. Also include where you are in Michigan.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

you don't have a gsd, you have a white shepherd. i know of no list that describes white shepherds as viscous. now we both know you have a white gsd, but let her prove it.

please let me express how sorry i am about your baby. i am glad you find comfort with your pup.

Last edited by huntergreen; 01-04-2013 at 01:49 AM.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Unfortunately you're going to find a lot of places that will deny a GSD. Insurance companies are to blame but so are bad owners allowing the breed to gain that bad rep. If your dog has been theraputic and you can get written proof from a doctor stating as such, it might be enough to get him registered at least with your residence that he's a service dog. I'm not familiar with how it works. there are members here who can offer better advice on that subject. You'll likely also find that the other breeds you've seen around your apartment complex were grandfathered in. It's a tough situation and I wish you the best in figuring this out. Contact your vet for boarding recommendations.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
you don't have a gsd, you have a white shepherd. i know of no list that describes white shepherds as viscous. now we both know you have a white gsd, but let her prove it.

good point. American White Shepherd. If you also have it on vet paperwork stating American White Shepherd, it might also be enough to count. You could potentially also call him a husky mix. I've seen white huskies. Definitely ask for a copy of the pet policy though.
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

American Alsatian

American Alsatian dogs Information and Pictures, American Alsatians

STANDARDS OF THE AMERICAN ALSATIAN

the second link has more info but he could be considered an American Alsatian. Cream colored to white are possible color variations
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you guys so much for the links and advice! This forum is amazing, so many people who love what I love! You guys gave me great advice. I just found out Michigan and Pennsylvania are the only two states in which insurance companies cannot discriminate against any dog breeds. Problem is that is home owners insurance so not sure if it applies with renters insurance. I am definitely going to try and claim he is a different breed, wish I would have thought of that to begin with! If all else fails though, I will move. I'm not going to live somewhere my dog isn't welcome. I am going to talk to my doc and see if I can get him certified as a therapy dog. I was medicated for anxiety and depression and since I've had my dog I've been completely off my meds and I've felt great! He's really given me something to look forward too, and a wonderful distraction! He even wakes me up at 3 am sometimes just like a baby would, to go outside to the bathroom! I love this guy dearly, and I really can't stand the thought of revoking him. Even my family has commented on how happy I've been, because I've been so busy playing with him and retraining him! I am even going to offer to muzzle him when j take him out, if that will help at all. Thanks again for the great advice! This forum is the most useful thing on the Internet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.