Need place to board my gsd please help:( - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Not Therapy Dog. NO NO NO!
If you want to keep that dog, get him to sign him off as an EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG.
Read about the differences here: Renting with an Emotional Support Dog, Service Dog or Therapy Dog | Einhorn Insurance

He has got to be an emotional support dog because a therapy dog is trained to bring comfort to others, not comfort to you!

yes, Sandra is right. Emotional Support Dog. Sorry, I couldn't think of the exact term previously.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
If not that, the white shepherd is recognized by the FCI as Berger Blanc Suisse.
Berger Blanc Suisse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IT IS NOT A GERMAN SHEPHERD! The white Shepherd is it's own breed.

Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Where there is a will there is a way, good luck I hope you figure out how to keep him. Too bad you already said GSD, he could be some type of husky/lab MIX.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Where in Michigan are you? How old is the dog? Is he intact?

I always had All State renters in Michigan, they did not care I had GSDs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks again for the responses! I am in Oakland county Michigan, in Holly. I had a talk with my landlady and I really feel she must just not like me. Word for word this is the conversation we had. I took my dog with with to her office to talk to her.
Me: I just wanted to let you know, he's not a German shepherd, he's and American white Shepherd, and here's a description off a dog website that even states they are not aggressive, and are recognized as a separate breed.(I gave her my iPhone with the website on it, she didn't even look at it.)
Her: sorry it doesn't matter, there's a blanket ban on all shepherds.
Me: even Australian shepherds? Because I've never heard of an Australian shepherd biting anyone.
Her: yes, all shepherds
Me: what about the pitbulls and huskies and great Danes? They aren't considered aggressive? Because a lot of people own them.
Her: just shepherd dogs are banned
Me: what if I offered to muzzle him everytime I leave my apartment with him?
Her: Nope I can't risk it.
Me: Here's all his vet documents stating he's utd on everything, and licensed as well.
Herdidn't even glance at it) sorry but it doesn't matter
My fiancÚ: this dog is smarter than any of the dogs put together in this complex. Every other dog you can't even walk past their door without them barking their heads off.
Her: it doesn't matter, shepherds are the only banned breed
Me: I really think something is weird about that, because the are NOT known as being the most aggressive dogs. There have been more deaths by husky type dogs than by german shepherds.
Her: well I will call my boss and verify but the answer will be no
Me: well I guess I will be boarding him till we get in another place.

I was in contact today with a nice man who has three dogs himself, and offered to do a land contract for less money than we pay now, and has way more space. He said he loves dogs and he likes the fact that I have a German shepherd, because no one will ever want to break into his property. He owns several properties and picked the one for us that has the biggest backyard, because he wants my dog to have a lot of room to run. I really liked him a lot, and he has no problem with me having a shepherd, and said we could move in the beginning of next month if I liked. So maybe everything worked out better, I'm honestly enraged by my landladys blatant lies, there's no way they have a strict rule only about German shepherds. I'm not a violent person, but this is the angriest I've been in awhile. Honestly I don't want to live somewhere that has such a close minded manager. Thanks everyone for your advice!
Asiakp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

they may have a ban on shepherds and maybe she isn't lying. I'm glad you found another place so soon. I hope you like the house and it all works out for you. What will you do with your dog until the 1st? You have to have him out by the 17th? You could talk to your vet about boarding him for those 2 weeks.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

I'm in Holly Michigan. He's intact, and 7 months old. I was told to wait till he's two before getting him fixed, because he won't grow properly if fixed before then. I WOULD get him fixed if I had to, since I never am going to breed or show him anyway, it's just a lot of gsd breeders have made good arguments in their websites as to why it's better to wait. I did hear insurance companies in Michigan aren't allowed to turn you down based on your dog breed, we are one of only two states that adheres to that
Asiakp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiakp View Post
Thanks again for the responses! I am in Oakland county Michigan, in Holly. I had a talk with my landlady and I really feel she must just not like me. Word for word this is the conversation we had. I took my dog with with to her office to talk to her.
Me: I just wanted to let you know, he's not a German shepherd, he's and American white Shepherd, and here's a description off a dog website that even states they are not aggressive, and are recognized as a separate breed.(I gave her my iPhone with the website on it, she didn't even look at it.)
Her: sorry it doesn't matter, there's a blanket ban on all shepherds.
Me: even Australian shepherds? Because I've never heard of an Australian shepherd biting anyone.
Her: yes, all shepherds
Me: what about the pitbulls and huskies and great Danes? They aren't considered aggressive? Because a lot of people own them.
Her: just shepherd dogs are banned
Me: what if I offered to muzzle him everytime I leave my apartment with him?
Her: Nope I can't risk it.
Me: Here's all his vet documents stating he's utd on everything, and licensed as well.
Herdidn't even glance at it) sorry but it doesn't matter
My fiancÚ: this dog is smarter than any of the dogs put together in this complex. Every other dog you can't even walk past their door without them barking their heads off.
Her: it doesn't matter, shepherds are the only banned breed
Me: I really think something is weird about that, because the are NOT known as being the most aggressive dogs. There have been more deaths by husky type dogs than by german shepherds.
Her: well I will call my boss and verify but the answer will be no
Me: well I guess I will be boarding him till we get in another place.

I was in contact today with a nice man who has three dogs himself, and offered to do a land contract for less money than we pay now, and has way more space. He said he loves dogs and he likes the fact that I have a German shepherd, because no one will ever want to break into his property. He owns several properties and picked the one for us that has the biggest backyard, because he wants my dog to have a lot of room to run. I really liked him a lot, and he has no problem with me having a shepherd, and said we could move in the beginning of next month if I liked. So maybe everything worked out better, I'm honestly enraged by my landladys blatant lies, there's no way they have a strict rule only about German shepherds. I'm not a violent person, but this is the angriest I've been in awhile. Honestly I don't want to live somewhere that has such a close minded manager. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Sounds bogus that theres a ban on all shepherds. Especially since there are so may shepherd like breeds. GSDs, Aussies, english shepherds, etc. . . Hope the new place works better for you.
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

That's too bad, though I'm not surprised. Often the bans are upheld based on what those are in power thing (ie, if the dog looks like a shepherd to *them*, then it's a shepherd). I honestly wouldn't bother fighting it. Lots of properties have bans on breeds and types.

My friend has a boarding facility and I think has a decent long term rate but she's near Battle Creek.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiakp View Post
I did hear insurance companies in Michigan aren't allowed to turn you down based on your dog breed, we are one of only two states that adheres to that
PA is the same, however, that has to do with homeowners. Not rentals.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.