Need place to board my gsd please help:( - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiakp View Post
Thank you guys so much for the links and advice! This forum is amazing, so many people who love what I love! You guys gave me great advice. I just found out Michigan and Pennsylvania are the only two states in which insurance companies cannot discriminate against any dog breeds. Problem is that is home owners insurance so not sure if it applies with renters insurance. I am definitely going to try and claim he is a different breed, wish I would have thought of that to begin with! If all else fails though, I will move. I'm not going to live somewhere my dog isn't welcome. I am going to talk to my doc and see if I can get him certified as a therapy dog. I was medicated for anxiety and depression and since I've had my dog I've been completely off my meds and I've felt great! He's really given me something to look forward too, and a wonderful distraction! He even wakes me up at 3 am sometimes just like a baby would, to go outside to the bathroom! I love this guy dearly, and I really can't stand the thought of revoking him. Even my family has commented on how happy I've been, because I've been so busy playing with him and retraining him! I am even going to offer to muzzle him when j take him out, if that will help at all. Thanks again for the great advice! This forum is the most useful thing on the Internet!

Just make sure you do your research to a T. Talk to people, get information (printed preferably and highlight specific points), copies of EVERYTHING. If your doctor "prescribes" your dog as a theraputic aid, it may very well be enough to force the landlord to allow him to stay. Having a GSD can be tricky beyond belief. Documented proof that you've gone off the meds since having your boy will help. Also taking basic obedience classes on up through advanced obedience as well as CGC test and passing can work wonders as well.

You want to basically start a profile of your dog of all the good he's done with classes. Get a letter from your vet stating he's a good dog during visits. Take him to obedience classes and once the class is completed, ask the trainer to write a letter of recommendation about your boy. Every little thing helps. You want to pretty much have all this documentation SHOWING from various people and professionals that your dog is a model citizen.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 01-04-2013 at 02:49 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
My beautiful sweet boy

So sorry about your baby, my condolences to you and your DH.

He's a beautiful pup. Why don't you contact his breeder and talk to him/her about your landlady's last minute decision and see if they will board your pup until you can find a new place to live?

Last edited by arycrest; 01-04-2013 at 04:00 AM.
arycrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

OMG that dog looks SOOOOO VICIOUS!!! I would NEVER get rid of my dog because some idiots think it's Vicious! I am paying to stay there with my family and my pets are part of my family! I can not give better advice than what has already been given... The community here is so amazing! Bonus your puppy is gorgeous... and if he is so vicious how come he is not eating that kitty!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry to hear about your lost.

If you absolutely need to board, I suggest you do a Michigan German Shepherd Club search. I'm sure you will find someone thur them to help you out.

BTW: I use to work for a Management Co and your landlord is within her rights; however it does sound there is some politics in play there.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

I could see why you love this guy. My fingers are crossed. Hang in there things will work out.
Best Wishes!
Happy Nw Year!!
Susan

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Suddenly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Asia - could you please list your city that you live in so people in your area might see your post? Also, ask the mod to place your city and state in the title of your post so the appropriate people see it.

I too wish I was closer or I would keep him for you. I find it odd that pitbulls are allowed but GSDs are not.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

If not that, the white shepherd is recognized by the FCI as Berger Blanc Suisse.
Berger Blanc Suisse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IT IS NOT A GERMAN SHEPHERD! The white Shepherd is it's own breed.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Thank you guys so much for the links and advice! This forum is amazing, so many people who love what I love! You guys gave me great advice. I just found out Michigan and Pennsylvania are the only two states in which insurance companies cannot discriminate against any dog breeds. Problem is that is home owners insurance so not sure if it applies with renters insurance. I am definitely going to try and claim he is a different breed, wish I would have thought of that to begin with! If all else fails though, I will move. I'm not going to live somewhere my dog isn't welcome. I am going to talk to my doc and see if I can get him certified as a therapy dog. I was medicated for anxiety and depression and since I've had my dog I've been completely off my meds and I've felt great! He's really given me something to look forward too, and a wonderful distraction! He even wakes me up at 3 am sometimes just like a baby would, to go outside to the bathroom! I love this guy dearly, and I really can't stand the thought of revoking him. Even my family has commented on how happy I've been, because I've been so busy playing with him and retraining him! I am even going to offer to muzzle him when j take him out, if that will help at all. Thanks again for the great advice! This forum is the most useful thing on the Internet!
Not Therapy Dog. NO NO NO!
If you want to keep that dog, get him to sign him off as an EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG.
Read about the differences here: Renting with an Emotional Support Dog, Service Dog or Therapy Dog | Einhorn Insurance

He has got to be an emotional support dog because a therapy dog is trained to bring comfort to others, not comfort to you!
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Good luck to you.

If this happens to anybody else, most communities have a free tenant's advocate office who can help a tenant avoid this type of situation. I think the landlord just doesn't like your dog (or you) and is using it as an excuse.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Asia, I am so sorry for your loss.

I think maybe the best thing to do is talk with a lawyer if nothing is in the lease paperwork concerning the breed/size of dog and you can document the others. He is a puppy, you are moving, you have just been through a traumatic experience, there should be some way to keep him with you while you are preparing for the move. Oft times you can get a free consult.

There is a section for support/assistance dogs. I would PM some of the mods there. It does not sound to me like he would meet any criteria as a medically approved service dog but I don't know that much. It is clear you have a legitimate need for some emotional support right now. Who would not after what you have been through?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.