Are You A GSD Convert? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I've always had a deep love for dogs, but have always been a "pocket puppy" type person - the smaller the better. It was the DH who begged for years for a GSD. NO WAY NO HOW was I going to have some 80 lb dog living in my home shedding and making a mess everywhere! I told him that when we finally moved into a bigger home with a big yard, that I'd finally let him get one. I grew up being told that big dogs belonged outside.

On impulse when he was out of town for training right before Xmas one year, I ran out and got him his GSD puppy. Before I knew it, I was crazy about the pup and the breed and there was NO WAY that baby was sleeping outside by itself!! She quickly became MY GSD and I have been sold ever since. I now have 3 GSD's living in my home and they are some of the best dogs I've ever owned. I will probably never buy a pocket pup again.
Lakl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband is!!! I've always loved the breed but my husband believed the bad stories. He's smarter now lol
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Growing up almost all of our dogs were GSD mixes, but never pure bred. I love all dogs and it never was a must to own the breed. The golden retriever was the dog I always wanted. Years ago when I worked at the vet, the vet had a beautiful GSD. My son would play with him for hours...they loved each other Last year when I was looking for a dog, my friend brought up GSD's. I liked the look, I liked the idea of the deterrent part of it, and I had no idea how hard I would fall for the breed. I can't see myself without one EVER again. I couldn't be happier with mine and I'm happy that I stuck it out and learned about her and the breed.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've never had any other breed.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wasn't really allowed to have a dog growing up, well we did adopt one from the pound when I was in elementary school and she was my best friend... But she started submissive peeing whenever my step dad got near her(I don't blame her, he was abusive to me) and so rather then trying to figure out what to do he just grabbed her one day and took her back to the pound.

Somehow I ended up with a beagle puppy in middle school, I don't remember how I got it but one day my mom wanted me to do something and I was holding my puppy and didn't want to... She grabbed him out of my arms and got rid of him(to the pound I assume). So color me traumatized.

A few years later I pet sat for a GSD and then another a few years later on, fell in love with the breed and decided one day I wanted one and well many years later here we are. I do own three other different breeds of dogs and I love them all but I will admit there is something special about GSD's. I will probably always have one and a Pomeranian, hey don't knock it... actually trained instead of being let to do whatever they want they are amazing, devoted and extremely loyal dogs!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

What a terrible story Carriesue, I'm glad you have your dogs now and no-one can take them away.

I had to talk my wife down from a Rottweiler to GSD.

We agreed we wanted a dog but had very different ideas, she had her heart set on a rottweiler because she had them as a child but I was worried about the image a big dog might give us, that it might be dangerous with the children, that it would be messy and clumsy around the house etc etc and I was trying to persuade her down to something spaniel size....gradually she worked on me, reminded me that I work away from home a lot and we live in the middle of no-where and a big dog would watch over them all etc etc.

During my research I go reading and realised a GSD was the best dog for us.
OffgridAlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have been around Shepherds my whole life, when I was born my grandparents had 2 Belgian Shepherds, then my mom got a GSD when I was around 14. I don't know where Queenie came from but she was older when we got her and fully trained . We walked miles and miles together.
I can't see me with any other breed.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I was a teenager my best friend that lived behind me had a German Shepherd named Prince. Prince was not a friendly dog and it took me almost a full year before I could walk through her yard when Prince was in it. I was definitely afraid of that dog.

It wasn't until after my first dog, Pal ( a border collie mix) had passed away that we started thinking about getting another dog. We went to the dog show in Chicago and was looking at all of the breeds, trying to get an idea of what we thought would be a good fit for our family. As soon as we saw the SAR handlers with their German Shepherds we knew that that was the breed for us.

I can't imagine having another breed now, even after our last girl, Elsa passed away last year, we thought about possibly getting another breed, but after all the debate we came back to GSD's. I will always have one in my life!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Never had a dog growing up, but my best friends had a black Lab that I enjoyed playing with.

Many many years ago, my dad was bitten by a GSD and my friend was attacked by one. I believe the dogs were off-leash at the time.

Over the years I admired the GSD, but from afar.

When my husband and I talked about what kind of dog we'd ultimately get, it was either going to be a Lab or a GSD. When the opportunity presented itself to get my husband's cousin's GSD (a Schutzhund dog), we jumped at the chance.

16 months later, we've never looked back. Love our Joey!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Growing up we always had dogs, all sorts of breeds. one of our neighbors had a German shepherd and he was mean, couldn't go near him. So I just always thought they were gorgeous dogs, but mean. Than my boyfriend at the time loved German shepherds and always wanted one, and would always tell me storys about German shepherd he knew, and I agreed after a little while that we could get one (I had wanted a mastiff lol). An opportunity came up to get a GSD, a little sooner than we had planned. I will never not have a GSD, she is deffinitly the funniest dogs I have owned, and the smartest! I'm so glad I agreed to owning a GSD!

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
DixieGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.