GSD puppy with dachshunds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Layaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Default GSD puppy with dachshunds?

Okay are new GSD female 9 week old puppy won't go potty outside or unless are 11yr old dachshund male intact shows her how to do it that's fine they get along but the other dachshund male 7yr old altered don't like other dogs besides are 11yr old male dachshund he will growl at her and I don't want her getting bigger and start fighting him back that wont be good my problem is every time i take the dachshund out they go together how do I just call my 11yr old dachshund to the front door with out the 7 yr old running to it? I want to show her how he listens to me like example when it potty time i'll look at Brisk 11yr and badger 7yr and say wanna go out side lets go potty they get up go to the door they run to the door all exited and i'll put there leashes on I wanna teach Layla that the GSD but don't know how with out Badger 7yr running to the door Layla is in one part of the house and the doxies are in the other part I will carrie Layla to the part were the doxies are I wanna use Brisk as her teacher to go outside not in the house with out badger he don't like her if you guy's can give me some tips I would greatly be thank full I think that's the only way me and my Brother can potty train her.

sorry if this was long and if I repeated myself I tend to do that
__________________
DO NOT DECLAW DEBARK DEMEOW EAR CROP TAIL DOCKING DEFANGING ITS ANIMAL ABUSE,NO EXCUSE FOR ANIMAL ABUSE
https://www.facebook.com/MewlittleArtist?fref=ts
Layaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member
 
dazedtrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 770
Default

Your post is a little hard to follow... do you have crates at all? If one dog is being a disruption to potty time, crate them, potty the others, then take out the troublemaker seperately. Do a crate and rotate until everyone settles down If one of mine starts getting out of line, I seperate them, then reintegrate them slowly, with training. I've only worked with GSDs the last 15years or so though...
__________________
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.
- Edward Everett Hale
dazedtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,604
Default

i am not an expert, but your trouble at potty time is a symptom of the real problem. you need to find a way to get all three dogs to get along. by excluding your 7 year old, imho, you are adding to and maybe creating the problem.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Layaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i am not an expert, but your trouble at potty time is a symptom of the real problem. you need to find a way to get all three dogs to get along. by excluding your 7 year old, imho, you are adding to and maybe creating the problem.
My brother got the GSD and I love her already and she is starting to go potty outside I think her problem is the snow she whines when she gets on the snow

and to the other person I do not have a crate and my brother is the owner of the dog and he is against that idea
__________________
DO NOT DECLAW DEBARK DEMEOW EAR CROP TAIL DOCKING DEFANGING ITS ANIMAL ABUSE,NO EXCUSE FOR ANIMAL ABUSE
https://www.facebook.com/MewlittleArtist?fref=ts
Layaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,782
Default

Indeed a hard post to read and to nderstand correctly. If I may ask, how old are you? Still live at home with your parents as you mention that your brother got the GSD pup. If so where are the parents?
It sounds like you need to get a private trainer involved that comes to the house to unravel this puzzle; to keep all the dogs safe and you sane.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RowdyDogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 458
Default

If the dogs are fighting when they go outside and that's the only problem, can you just shut the GSD in a room or something while you take the 7 y/o out, and shut the 7 y/o up when you take the GSD and 11 y/o out? That seems like it would allow you to potty train the GSD without needing to crate her.

If this is your brother's dog, how much responsibility is he taking for her? A 9 week old puppy really shouldn't be having free rein in the house just yet, because it will make it harder to train her. Most trainers I know recommend that puppies are either crated/confined when they can't be watched, or tethered/supervised in the house. That will make it hard for them to get into trouble or to have an accident in the house, and it will also solve your potty training problems I think.

I also think that you need to look at the underlying reason the 7 y/o is growling at her. If he's not just trying to play, that behavior will probably show up in other areas of their lives. At 9 weeks she can't do much to him, but as she gets bigger she'll be able to do a lot of damage without much effort. You should try to nip any problems between them in the bud by figuring out why he doesn't like her and either fixing it, or if it can't be fixed, figure out a way to keep them separated.
__________________
The rowdy dogs:
Hector-2 y/o GSD (mix?) rescue
Scooter-12 y/o ACD/Border Collie mix
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Layaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Indeed a hard post to read and to nderstand correctly. If I may ask, how old are you? Still live at home with your parents as you mention that your brother got the GSD pup. If so where are the parents?
It sounds like you need to get a private trainer involved that comes to the house to unravel this puzzle; to keep all the dogs safe and you sane.
I'm 19 and live with my mom so does my bro he is older then me and he is looking for a trainer and we been walking her by herself all day with out the doxies and she went potty finally outside as far as I know she didn't do a No No all day and I was plainning on walking her and brisk by them selfs with no Badger and we walked them together 2 times the first time wasn't good and the second time was okay.
__________________
DO NOT DECLAW DEBARK DEMEOW EAR CROP TAIL DOCKING DEFANGING ITS ANIMAL ABUSE,NO EXCUSE FOR ANIMAL ABUSE
https://www.facebook.com/MewlittleArtist?fref=ts
Layaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Layaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
If the dogs are fighting when they go outside and that's the only problem, can you just shut the GSD in a room or something while you take the 7 y/o out, and shut the 7 y/o up when you take the GSD and 11 y/o out? That seems like it would allow you to potty train the GSD without needing to crate her.

If this is your brother's dog, how much responsibility is he taking for her? A 9 week old puppy really shouldn't be having free rein in the house just yet, because it will make it harder to train her. Most trainers I know recommend that puppies are either crated/confined when they can't be watched, or tethered/supervised in the house. That will make it hard for them to get into trouble or to have an accident in the house, and it will also solve your potty training problems I think.

I also think that you need to look at the underlying reason the 7 y/o is growling at her. If he's not just trying to play, that behavior will probably show up in other areas of their lives. At 9 weeks she can't do much to him, but as she gets bigger she'll be able to do a lot of damage without much effort. You should try to nip any problems between them in the bud by figuring out why he doesn't like her and either fixing it, or if it can't be fixed, figure out a way to keep them separated.
My bro feeds her waters her plays with her always with her walks her 75% of the time because i wanna bond with her too and when he leaves the house he takes her with him and the first day he got her he got her a collar and tag her name and info he is going to do the second round puppy shots on friday he takes care of her 95% of the time he don't let her out of his sight and she is only allowed in one room right now and he is going to feed her the best dog food we can find

Badger 7yr previous owners would crate him with other dogs and i'm guessing they fought for space in the crate because when i went to go get him all the dogs was crated outside and he smelled weird and i'm going to keep them 2 seperated i'm planning on getting a muzzle and i'm going to muzzle him when I have them two together for like 10 mines
__________________
DO NOT DECLAW DEBARK DEMEOW EAR CROP TAIL DOCKING DEFANGING ITS ANIMAL ABUSE,NO EXCUSE FOR ANIMAL ABUSE
https://www.facebook.com/MewlittleArtist?fref=ts
Layaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com