GSDs, Apartments & Behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSDs, Apartments & Behavior

So I was having a discussion about pets with an extended family member earlier. I mentioned how we are considering a GSD.

Her response was that having a dog like that in an apartment is cruel and unfair to the animal. I explained that we had plans to keep the dog active and stimulated (training, some kind of sport like Schutzhund or agility, etc.) as well as intentions to own a home. She said that would never be enough since we have to work and leave him alone for 8 hours a day.

She continued by saying GSDs are "bullies and that they seek to attack people that fear them." Of course, I said that was mostly a result of bad handling, training and breeding.

So what do y'all think about all this? I know the bully comment was extreme, but would we really be getting in over our head?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have 2 GSD's in an 2 bedroom apartment. One is more mellow, the other a HIGH drive, HIGH energy working line.... no issues.

Both are involved in training and sport and we hike several times per week.

It all depends on your lifestyle and your dedication.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I live in a small townhouse (no yard of my own) and I have two dogs, and they both do just fine. Berlin, my GSD, gets plenty of exercise but I make sure to take him on a walk/run daily, and give him a good hour or so of fetch on his training leash, and when he's inside, I have mental mind games for him like "find" and hes in obedience school. He loves his life, no complaints here!

And that bully comment is ridiculous! lol. If that were the case, my dog would be on an attacking spree because he's met many people (KIDS) who are scared...he's really just a big lover.

Good luck
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

@Elisabeth - Hiking is actually a good idea. I may have to look for some dog friendly hiking trails around here. Thank you!

@gsdlover - I totally agree. That comment was obviously extreme... even for someone who has never owned a GSD. She said that she owned and trained one years ago, so that's how she knew. I had to bite my tongue to keep from pointing out that behavior problems usually start with the owner.

It's great to hear that people are enjoying their GSDs (and vice versa) in an apartment setting. Helps me feel better about it. :-)

Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You're extended family is completely clueless about GSD's and dogs in general. She's 100% wrong in pretty much everything she said. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess she doesn't own or has never owned a GSD before, correct?

The home is for sleeping and eating. That's pretty much it. Get out with the dog like you've mentioned and it'll be fine in apartment living. GSD's typically adapt very well to the living situation they're given.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband and I had two high energy GSDs in an apartment for two years with zero problems before my husband went into the navy. We still have no issues and have had five GSDs/GSD mixes in the house at one point with no issues. We also have two young kids. My dogs are just happy to be with us no matter where we live. Never had any issues in the apartment. As long as you exercise the dog, teach them their good citizen manners and obedience, there shouldnt generally be any issues. management and maintance weren't allowed in the apartment without myself or my husband present for obvious reasons.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I delivered a pizza last night to a small 2 bedroom apt, sign on the door read "happiness is being owned by 2 GSDs". When he answered the door I told him "Ima steal your sign " He looked at me with a grin and asked "why?". "I just happened to be owned by 2 GSDs myself, and that is totally cute!"
Naturally, I had to visit for a while. He had 1 he had from a pup, and 1 rescue...They have lived there for years, and everyone is content as can be. The others are right on. It is more work to have to walk your dog in all kinds of weather when they "gotta go", rather than just putting them outside, but it's totally do-able. I'm in a house, but can't trust my houdinis not to escape the fence I currently have... so Im out there in my shorts in the mornings.. in 15 degree weather.. We walk everyday (almost), and I would say my dogs are pretty darn happy. I take them in the car everywhere I can as well, so they don't get stir crazy.. they love car rides
The bullie comment just takes all credibility away from anything else the person said, because apparently, they're stupid...

Last edited by dazedtrucker; 01-02-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo made ME look stupid...
dazedtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

@dazedtrucker - That is too cute! We could certainly say that about our Cocker. And though we may not have 15 degree winters, we definitely know what it's like to take our girl out on a leash in the rain. ;-)

It's funny. She hates the rain but she's quick to jump in the bay when we go fishing. Needless to say, we go home without a bite when she comes along. LOL!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

@LucyDog - She said she owned and trained a GSD of her own before. She went on to say that the local PD took him when she couldn't keep him anymore. *shrugs*

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If she's had a GSD before, she'd have a better clue about the breed. They're not bullies. They are intelligent and they are strong. Weak minded people need not apply.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.