GSDs, Apartments & Behavior - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

That's what I was hoping to hear KZ. It just got me a little unsettled because of the experience she said she had. I guess the whole bully thing should've made me question all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

I guess if they want to bully ppl that are scared of them they would make good police dogs.. ? That's actually kinda funny
Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Hahaha! I've met some police dogs that are nothing more than big, furry babies. Very smart and obedient, but babies all the same.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

heh....at one point I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate and between us we had 6 dogs. 2 Dobermans, 1 Giant Schnauzer, 1 Siberian Husky, 1 German Shepherd foster puppy, and 1 mini poodle. Show your family member this video because our dogs look so tortured and miserable. We both worked full time 8 hour days.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

That video was too cute. I can see how horribly mistreated they are. I'll definitely break this out if the convo ever comes up again.

It appears we have about the same amount of room too. At least in the living/dining area that I see.

Ours is about 1000 square feet in total.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLilyBean View Post
That's what I was hoping to hear KZ. It just got me a little unsettled because of the experience she said she had. I guess the whole bully thing should've made me question all of it.

the problem is, a lot of people think they know oh so much when reality is they're clueless. IF she really did have a GSD, I'd be willing to bet her experience involved a BYB dog that she also didn't bother to socialize or train appropriately. There are also just some people who have ZERO business with intelligent breeds who are also physically strong. GSDs will take advantage of weaker minded owners which is where I can see them being refered to as "bullies". Example: Zena will take advantage and "bully" if she thinks she can get away with it. My father in law allows it and doesnt set any rules. Zena doesnt try that behavior with me because I won't allow obnoxious behavior from her.

Zena was one of my apartment dogs. She had no problems.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 01-02-2013 at 03:40 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

KZ... So you definitely should prepare to NOT be a pushover if you're thinking about getting a GSD? That's a good little tip.

On a side note, I know she believes that large dogs don't belong in the house at all. Keep them outside away from much interaction and socialization is obviously gonna cause problems. That's why I told her that the "bully" behavior would be more of an owner problem than a dog problem. You know what I mean?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

I had 4 yr old and now a 3mo old in my 1 bedroom apartment. Granted it is a very large one bed room and surronded by a state park and county park but none the less it does not hinder the dogs quality of life. The handler determines a dogs activity level not the size of the living space.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveGSDs View Post
heh....at one point I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate and between us we had 6 dogs. 2 Dobermans, 1 Giant Schnauzer, 1 Siberian Husky, 1 German Shepherd foster puppy, and 1 mini poodle. Show your family member this video because our dogs look so tortured and miserable. We both worked full time 8 hour days.

Stella, 5 month old GSD foster pup inside with the pack - YouTube
I think I am going to have to call the law on you for all that abuse going on. They look so neglected. Especially that one lounging on the couch watching TV...HORRIBLE.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

I believe when many people say "apartment" they think of high rise buildings in the middle of a concrete jungle. If you had a high energy dog in one of those, especially a large breed, I could see where a big issue may happen. Living in NYC for a bit, I noticed how many people who live in those places own high energy small breeds, but they just don't realize it, or at least forgo training completely and allow the dog initiative. It almost looked like a disaster.

When I lived in a house with a fenced in yard, it was very easy to go outside and toss a ball around or to just let him loose to do his business. He would not stay out there if I was not out there. That is the only perk to having a home, was the easy pee breaks, otherwise he is always by my side. Now that I am in an apartment, there is a little bit more management for getting his energy out especially with a lack of off leash areas, and pee time, but the idea is the same. Manage your dog, exercise your dog, train your dog, and you will be fine.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.