Pet insurance. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Pet insurance.

i'm looking to get pet insurance just in case. we don't really have extra cash flowing around with my hours at work being cut :-\, so we were thinking it'd be a good way to protect wolf. thoughts? opinions? looking to hear recomendations, experiences, the good, the bad, the ugly lol. i looked at trupanion, embrace, and vpi. reviews online for all 3 are mixed-either the experience was perfect or a total disaster and it's hard to determine wether its worth it or not, and wether the people with a bad time really didn't understand their policy...looking for some feedback from you folks
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I went with VPI - I just got it last year when my Sting was 5. I wanted to cover the big things and also the routine health (vaccines, checkup, heartguard) but I took a high deductible on the major medical to keep the premiums low $40/month. The wellness part has no deductible. The forms are easy to fill out and are available on their website and can be emailed in. They did pay fast. Their customer service responded quickly when I had questions.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Do lots of research. Look for what suits you best. Most wont cover wellness (vaccines, check-ups, etc.). Many offer choices of deductibles and refunds. Look for lifetime coverage of chronic illnesses, congenital and hereditary diseases. Watch out for those with "schedule" payment plans. It can be deceiving as to what is covered. Just get informed before you buy. There are lots of good ones. Many here use Petplan, Trupanion, and Embrace. I have Healthy Paws. Haven't had to use it yet, but Rocco is covered for everything except topical allergies. That's because I took him in for itching after applying frontline once. That's why the sooner you get it (before your pup has any issues) the better. Just my thought. Good luck with the search.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

when i read that i immediately heard that Clint Eastwood sound
track. we just purchased Pet Plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissG View Post
i'm looking to get pet insurance just in case. we don't really have extra cash flowing around with my hours at work being cut :-\, so we were thinking it'd be a good way to protect wolf. thoughts? opinions? looking to hear recomendations, experiences,

>>>>the good, the bad, the ugly<<<< lol.

i looked at trupanion, embrace, and vpi. reviews online for all 3 are mixed-either the experience was perfect or a total disaster and it's hard to determine wether its worth it or not, and wether the people with a bad time really didn't understand their policy...looking for some feedback from you folks
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I had VPI for several years, and was not particularly happy with all the exclusions and the actual amount covered on a large claim (it was about 50% ). We dropped it and then, of course, had the injury that cost several thousand dollars .

So for the next dog we went to pet plan. VPI did not impress me with amount of coverage and all the exclusions. I have a high deductable higher copay plan with the intent of only using it for major issues. I like the lack of "genetic exclusions" which are far too many and the reviews others here have given it.

In all cases, if cash flow is an issue, you still need a plan to pay the bills and wait for reimbursement.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Do a forum search -- somewhere there's a great thread where a very smart member who is in the insurance industry analyzed various company's plan documents and offered an opinion based on the fine print.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I have pet plan and have used it. I am currently waiting on a check for reimbursement.

I went to the e-vet spent 490$ and I get back 390$ simple as that.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Definitely look closely at what they cover and how they cover. I had VPI, I sent in a claim for Grim's vaccines, etc. but I'm dropping them. I got Trupanion because I have a $0 deductible, and it covers 90% of what they actually bill you... not a set amount that would probably be way less than what they charge. I'm more worried about having major medical covered than having the wellness covered for him. I wish I'd have gotten it first, because they do have 'pre-existing' that they won't cover.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

so far, VPI is bad...but trupanion and petplan are looking decent. we are working on figuring out how to come up with a decent amount of money to set aside and just not do the insurance all together. that would be ideal...but it's hard :-\
LissG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

i have several saving plans. the coffee can, the sock drawer, the
wooden box and a saving account. $5.00 to $50.00 saved a week.
$50.00 on the good weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissG View Post
so far, VPI is bad...but trupanion and petplan are looking decent. we are working on figuring out how to come up with a decent amount of money to set aside and just not do the insurance all together. that would be ideal...but it's hard :-\
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.