how to pick a trainer or training facility - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile how to pick a trainer or training facility

Me and my dog have a Shutzhund future, but for now I just want to find a place to get the basics. I was warned, once, to be careful to not train out of Yoschi what it is he'll need for schutzhund.... when calling places, what specifically should I ask... I'm looking for a basic beginner group class for now. Are there different styles of training? Is there a specific training type I need?

Thanks
Joe
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

May I ask what you can train out of your dog that it will need for schutzhund? The only thing that I thought would be a problem was that in regular training my dog was taught to check in with me. When she was being evaluated for schutzhund she did check in with me quite a bit at first, but after a minute or two she really got into it. How old is your dog?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
May I ask what you can train out of your dog that it will need for schutzhund? The only thing that I thought would be a problem was that in regular training my dog was taught to check in with me. When she was being evaluated for schutzhund she did check in with me quite a bit at first, but after a minute or two she really got into it. How old is your dog?
I'm not sure what they were talking about.. maybe, just guessing, teaching to not bite at all or some such,, taught not to bark etc.. again, just guessing
Yoschi is 4.5 months old
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can do general obedience classes, but I'd train with a club now....because positioning and focus is important.
If you aren't starting with it now, it'll make it more difficult as your dog gets older. The training techniques may be very different. Plus you'll learn so much watching others handling their dogs in the IPO club, that you'd never get with a pet obedience class.

I'd rather put my time into my end goals and not just go to a pet class because I wanted to get the basics.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
You can do general obedience classes, but I'd train with a club now....because positioning and focus is important.
If you aren't starting with it now, it'll make it more difficult as your dog gets older. The training techniques may be very different. Plus you'll learn so much watching others handling their dogs in the IPO club, that you'd never get with a pet obedience class.

I'd rather put my time into my end goals and not just go to a pet class because I wanted to get the basics.
There are two clubs in my area,, lonestar is not accepting new members and Austin schutzhund has never gotten back with me, despite several attempts..
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human View Post
I'm not sure what they were talking about.. maybe, just guessing, teaching to not bite at all or some such,, taught not to bark etc.. again, just guessing
Yoschi is 4.5 months old
Your basic training classes will probably be done with positive training. The classes will teach you how to train your dog. You will need obedience to go into the schutzhund. You need obedience for any sport. Basic classes will teach you basic commands, recall, etc. A puppy should be taught not to bite and no one wants a barker either. There is lots of training with the schutzhund, BUT all the training in the world will not qualify your dog if the temperament isn't right. There is nothing you can do about that, it's in the genes. They will look for a VERY stable temperament(with people/dogs) and prey drive. Your dog will have to have a on/off switch that is reliable.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

llombardo has Robyn been back after her evaluation?
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post

I disagree with this and I feel that before one decides to go through a club, they should check it out. I was very disappointed in my local club. My dog at 8 months was better trained, less reactive, and all around a better dog then every other GSD there and they were all mature GSD's. The teacher felt so bad that she put us on the other side of the room away from the aggressive dogs(all of them were aggressive) I learned much more and so did my dog with the general obedience classes. I will say that the training techniques were very similar with the local club and all other classes I took.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i would visit some training centers and see how they train.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
llombardo has Robyn been back after her evaluation?
No, I put her in agility instead. I've been in contact with them and I've continued working with her prey drive and obedience in case I change my mind. She loved it then and I think she would love it even more now, I'm just not sure I have as much time that is needed for that sport.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.