how to pick a trainer or training facility - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #31 (permalink)

My current plan is to start with some basic obedience classes (hence my original question) follow up with the private lessons with maybe some overlap ... all the while continue to try to get in touch with Austin Schutzhund club or talk the lone star sch. Club into letting me join
Of course, I would rather go the club route, but with respect to time, I'd rather spend more money to have more time to actually train Yoschi while not completely neglecting my family
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Club is also not the answer to all your training needs. I do most of the ob on my own and club is to proof it. My first club, nobody ever worked with me on tracking and there was barely any instruction on ob. Tracking lessons I take with a trainer, but practice is done on my own. Club is mostly for proofing skills and helper work for protection. Having others spot problems and fine tune your routine is also the bonus of a club. But you will have to do a lot of the basics and foundation work by yourself - reading books/articles and watching training videos helps.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At this time, if you are adamant on going to a pet class....I'd work w/ your pup focusing only on you. Proof it with the other dogs/people as distractions.
Train sits, downs, recalls and focused heeling. Ask the instructor if you can do your own thing respectfully.
I would also make sure you don't ask too much of your pup and go slow, reward often!
As your pup gets older then I'd use a ball/tug for keeping the drive built up and fade out the food lure.
I would get some dvd's from bowwowflix on focused heeling and other exercises(Michael Ellis's are good) There are some good tracking video's there too!
I'd get in touch with the club though, because there may be someone in the club that lives very local to you....you may be better off paying a member w/ experience like that doing some private lessons than paying a facility to do pet obedience.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

I can't recommend bowwowflix.....they don't pay royalties to the people who make the videos, nor do they pay a licensing fee that would allow videos to be rented out. I heard that from someone who makes training videos, and is reluctant to make any more until that is changed.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hmmm, so how do they get away with it? You'd think legally they would have to pay out royalties or whatever to disperse them. Especially with the inventory they have.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

Right now I'm mostly playing with a flirt poll and teaching him to fetch... I've done a bit of basic "sit and down" with him but that's it... the lady I got him from suggested I not start training him until 4-5 months of age... she has also offered to do private lessons for about $50 an hour... but she has never titled a dog in sch. , but she has a room literally full of trophies and ribbons from showing dogs.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
I can't recommend bowwowflix.....they don't pay royalties to the people who make the videos, nor do they pay a licensing fee that would allow videos to be rented out. I heard that from someone who makes training videos, and is reluctant to make any more until that is changed.
TawzerDog (who produces most videos) now also offers rentals. I have no idea if they pay royalties etc but it's another source to look into.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human View Post
My end goal is a well mannered combination house pet/sch titled dog
I think you need to decide which is your higher priority. Many people travel more than an hour each way, and sometimes several hours for training, but if that's not something you're wiling or able to do right now, that's fine.

But one of the things about Schutzhund is that it can be very time consuming, so if you're fully committed to it you may have to make that time and travel sacrifice to pursue it, depending on where you live and your access to clubs. I don't think it's getting on your back to point that out, it's just being realistic. If you aren't wiling or able to make that time commitment, then maybe Schutzhund isn't right for you right now.

If you decide you're serious about it and want to make the commitment, you're probably better off starting with the right foundation as early as possible, which will determine the kind of training you do now. Otherwise, work towards the "well mannered house pet" part of your goal for the time being, and if your situations changes you can work on the "Schutzhund titled dog" part later. But be aware that what you do now may affect what you do later.

Everyone has limited time and financial resources, and we all need to make choices based on our available resources when determining our goals.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Hmmm, so how do they get away with it? You'd think legally they would have to pay out royalties or whatever to disperse them. Especially with the inventory they have.
Dunno! But there are attorneys being consulted, so something might change eventually.....but right now bowowflix just buys the video for the same price you would pay for it, and rents it out. Which very much cuts into the minimal profit dog trainers make off these videos! Some trainers are going to "on demand" videos that you have access to for a limited amount of time. Interesting concept, and I can see why they're doing it.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

I've decided to do private lessons with my breeder/importer (whatever you call her ) She's been showing GSD's her whole life, and she's no youngster...lol... besides, she's from Germany, that has to count for something!! LOL

question: would she be called a "breeder" or a "broker"??? She has a partner in Germany that finds her quality dogs to be imported for sale to the USA... She doesn't actually do any breeding ... her website is
Elite German Shepherds - Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.