German Shepherds Forum banner

veggies/fruits to avoid

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Yoschi's_Pet_Human 
#1 ·
My wife's grandfather gave me a Champion Juicer. It's awesome. The thing is, it creates a pureed mash of the rinds etc. They've been rendered free of the juice, but I'm sure the mash is full of nutrients. I want to give this to Yoschi. Are there any fruits or veggies to avoid? Fyi, I mixed in some orange peel mash to his raw diet mix,, don't think he likes it..lol... he looked at me like I'm crazy ... hoping he'll develop a taste for it.

#2 ·
Obviously you want to avoid onions. Garlic is sometimes in dog treats but is listed as toxic. Grapes are a definite no no.

Citrus fruit can upset the belly is not toxic. My dogs love apples and bananas especially. They love carrots and green beans also.

If you look it up there are a lot of lists on the web that tell you toxic foods for dogs.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm still wondering why no orange peel?
Other than possibly upsetting his stomach... if he doesn't show any symptoms of upset stomach, is there any reason not to mix in a small amount of pureed orange peel in his raw diet mix... orange peels are THICK with nutrition.

Fyi, his raw diet mix consists of about 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat.. the veggie portion consists of: spinach, peas, carrot, celery and beet. The meat portion is equal parts: cow heart, cow liver, cow tongue, kidney and ground beef.
I put it all through a meat grinder and mix evenly. His daily diet is 2/3 raw and 1/3 royal Canin for German shepherd puppies.

#10 ·
I'm still wondering why no orange peel?
Other than possibly upsetting his stomach... if he doesn't show any symptoms of upset stomach, is there any reason not to mix in a small amount of pureed orange peel in his raw diet mix... orange peels are THICK with nutrition.
I don't know why not except to say if that is what Carmen says, then that is what to listen to ...she knows her stuff

#13 ·
NO orange peels . The essential oils which give the orange its beautiful fragrance are SOLVENTs - the chemical is limonene , which is used in "green" cleaning products and is strong enough to strip oils and grease and to unglue adhesives. It is an irritant to skin .
There is pure orange essential oil which you can buy to create your own pot pouri or bath solutions . There is a warning to not use orange peel oil in bath if you are pregnant . In RATS d-limonene has been shown to cause cancer -- .
In green agriculture orange scent repels insects . If your kitchen is stale take a peel and give it a twist . The volatile oils will quickly freshen it.
I buy a product which is concentrated natural d limonene from orange peels called Orange-A-Peel , on the lable it says Poison -- has many uses in kitchen and bathroom cleaning plus pest control. I experimented with different concentrations to spray around the recycling bins to keep ants away . It works . Same for flies .
But for a floor freshener in the puppy room ? never ever again. I did have a scary experience many years ago where trace of orange peel concentrate was left in the dampness of the floor , pups come in get feet moist , start licking the floor , their feet and boy oh boy -- irritated stomachs - took a while to recover on that one -

Champion juicer is quite the gift ! The pulp that comes out after juicing has little nutritional benefit - that's the purpose of juicing -- basically indegistible fibre . I wouldn't even use it for soup -- I know they recommend it for this purpose but so much flavour and nutrition is removed the "soup" is a bit on the yucky side .

this "Fyi, his raw diet mix consists of about 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat.. the veggie portion consists of: spinach, peas, carrot, celery and beet. The meat portion is equal parts: cow heart, cow liver, cow tongue, kidney and ground beef."
is a diet too high in fibrous vegetable matter , especially if it is the waste of the juicing efforts , and too low in meat , and little evidence of mineral / calcium via bone .

#15 · (Edited)
None of the veggies in his raw mix are from the juicer,, as for calcium. I forgot to list the cottage cheese in there as well... I've been nervous about adding bone to his food.. I've read that raw bone is fine, but still nervous... I'm open for suggestions,, ill start by adding more meat.... which bones should I start with?

Also, he gets GNC vitamins for puppies, omega 3 and omega 6 pills plus a can of salmon once a week

#17 ·
Guess I have the answer validated..... like I said, I gave Yoschi some pureed peel mixed in with his food last night,,, he had a little diarrhea earlier and I just now came home to a crate smeared with diarrhea and vomit... poor guy,,, I wish I had asked before giving it to him.. :(

#20 ·
I would not be surprised if the dog will have some blood in the stool.

Give a bland diet -- get some slippery elm .

You need to really know what is appropriate for a dog or not. You can end up with an accute problem , as you are experiencing now, or a chronic problem with a longer period for the problem to show itself - organ damage or compromise, inflammation etc.

carrots go in and come out basically the same way - unless juiced and then reunited , apples are a good source for pectin (soothing) and fiber - however since apples are on the high contaminants list it is a good idea to go organic .

#21 ·
Ill stick with plain kibble until his bowels return to normal... what were you saying about carrots? Were you saying they go in and come out basically undigested? I've been giving baby carrots as snack upon the advice of my breeder.

#22 ·
exactly that , some of the pigment is stripped , but the carrot is pretty woody, and those are not baby carrots -- those are mishappen , crooked , weird shaped carrots that have no place in the groceries - so the ag business has come up with a turning device (like creating spindles out of 4 X 4's) which shaves the carrots into uniform cute finger food baby sized carrots. Problem is the closer you are to the surface the more nutrients you have so a lot of nutrition is stripped.

#26 ·
I read that as well... renal cancer,, in humans it actually is seen as a cancer preventative .... they sell candied orange peels... also the mass majority of bioflavanoids are in the skin... all that being said, after spending some time cleaning sour smelling diarrhea from Yoschi's crate and the $60.00 bed I threw away,, that was the last taste of orange peel he'll ever get.. lol

#25 ·
I guess my question would be ... do dogs need ANY vegetables at all? Feeding raw don't you just give 80 percent meat, 10 percent organ (with at least 5 percent being liver) and 10 percent bone? I didn't think vegetables were actually necessary for a healthy diet for a dog.

I know sometimes they may be given as a treat (carrots for instance) or if your dog is on a 'diet' so they aren't as hungry .. but necessary?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.