German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   veggies/fruits to avoid (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/197225-veggies-fruits-avoid.html)

Yoschi's_Pet_Human 12-28-2012 08:24 PM

veggies/fruits to avoid

My wife's grandfather gave me a Champion Juicer. It's awesome. The thing is, it creates a pureed mash of the rinds etc. They've been rendered free of the juice, but I'm sure the mash is full of nutrients. I want to give this to Yoschi. Are there any fruits or veggies to avoid? Fyi, I mixed in some orange peel mash to his raw diet mix,, don't think he likes it..lol... he looked at me like I'm crazy ... hoping he'll develop a taste for it.

vicky2200 12-28-2012 10:47 PM

Obviously you want to avoid onions. Garlic is sometimes in dog treats but is listed as toxic. Grapes are a definite no no.

Citrus fruit can upset the belly is not toxic. My dogs love apples and bananas especially. They love carrots and green beans also.

If you look it up there are a lot of lists on the web that tell you toxic foods for dogs.

carmspack 12-28-2012 10:50 PM

don't give orange peels to dogs

Yoschi's_Pet_Human 12-28-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 2665921)
don't give orange peels to dogs

Why not?

huntergreen 12-29-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicky2200 (Post 2665920)
Obviously you want to avoid onions. Garlic is sometimes in dog treats but is listed as toxic. Grapes are a definite no no.

Citrus fruit can upset the belly is not toxic. My dogs love apples and bananas especially. They love carrots and green beans also.

If you look it up there are a lot of lists on the web that tell you toxic foods for dogs.

why no grapes ?

Alyalanna 12-29-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 2665972)
why no grapes ?

They are very toxic to dogs. That goes double for raisins.

MissLilyBean 12-29-2012 01:41 AM

I think it has something to do with causing renal failure. I've heard of some people giving grapes or raisins to their dogs without incident, but I wouldn't chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Yoschi's_Pet_Human 12-29-2012 08:59 AM

I'm still wondering why no orange peel?
Other than possibly upsetting his stomach... if he doesn't show any symptoms of upset stomach, is there any reason not to mix in a small amount of pureed orange peel in his raw diet mix... orange peels are THICK with nutrition.

Fyi, his raw diet mix consists of about 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat.. the veggie portion consists of: spinach, peas, carrot, celery and beet. The meat portion is equal parts: cow heart, cow liver, cow tongue, kidney and ground beef.
I put it all through a meat grinder and mix evenly. His daily diet is 2/3 raw and 1/3 royal Canin for German shepherd puppies.

gaia_bear 12-29-2012 09:05 AM

I think the citric acid can upset their stomachs and cause vomiting. It may not happen to all dogs but shepherds are notorious for sensitive stomachs so why risk it?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

jang 12-29-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human (Post 2666064)
I'm still wondering why no orange peel?
Other than possibly upsetting his stomach... if he doesn't show any symptoms of upset stomach, is there any reason not to mix in a small amount of pureed orange peel in his raw diet mix... orange peels are THICK with nutrition.

I don't know why not except to say if that is what Carmen says, then that is what to listen to ...she knows her stuff