veggies/fruits to avoid - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang View Post
I don't know why not except to say if that is what Carmen says, then that is what to listen to ...she knows her stuff
Well... prior to posting this thread I gave him some last night mixed in his raw... he didn't eat it at first, but ate it all by the time we came home from dinner... I don't want to jinx it, but Yoschi has tolerated everything I've thrown at him so far.. including all organ meats etc.
I won't push it... I just know how powerfully nutritious orange rind is. Can I play it by ear? Or is the consensus to not do it at all?
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyalanna View Post
They are very toxic to dogs. That goes double for raisins.
tks, i did not know this.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

NO orange peels . The essential oils which give the orange its beautiful fragrance are SOLVENTs - the chemical is limonene , which is used in "green" cleaning products and is strong enough to strip oils and grease and to unglue adhesives. It is an irritant to skin .
There is pure orange essential oil which you can buy to create your own pot pouri or bath solutions . There is a warning to not use orange peel oil in bath if you are pregnant . In RATS d-limonene has been shown to cause cancer -- .
In green agriculture orange scent repels insects . If your kitchen is stale take a peel and give it a twist . The volatile oils will quickly freshen it.
I buy a product which is concentrated natural d limonene from orange peels called Orange-A-Peel , on the lable it says Poison -- has many uses in kitchen and bathroom cleaning plus pest control. I experimented with different concentrations to spray around the recycling bins to keep ants away . It works . Same for flies .
But for a floor freshener in the puppy room ? never ever again. I did have a scary experience many years ago where trace of orange peel concentrate was left in the dampness of the floor , pups come in get feet moist , start licking the floor , their feet and boy oh boy -- irritated stomachs - took a while to recover on that one -

Champion juicer is quite the gift ! The pulp that comes out after juicing has little nutritional benefit - that's the purpose of juicing -- basically indegistible fibre . I wouldn't even use it for soup -- I know they recommend it for this purpose but so much flavour and nutrition is removed the "soup" is a bit on the yucky side .

this "Fyi, his raw diet mix consists of about 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat.. the veggie portion consists of: spinach, peas, carrot, celery and beet. The meat portion is equal parts: cow heart, cow liver, cow tongue, kidney and ground beef."
is a diet too high in fibrous vegetable matter , especially if it is the waste of the juicing efforts , and too low in meat , and little evidence of mineral / calcium via bone .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

grapes and raisins - toxic -- accute renal failure .
chocolate toxic as well

xylitol extremely toxic and in many products that you may be unaware of it presence -- chewing gum , toothpaste

Carmspack
Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
NO orange peels . The essential oils which give the orange its beautiful fragrance are SOLVENTs - the chemical is limonene , which is used in "green" cleaning products and is strong enough to strip oils and grease and to unglue adhesives. It is an irritant to skin .
There is pure orange essential oil which you can buy to create your own pot pouri or bath solutions . There is a warning to not use orange peel oil in bath if you are pregnant . In RATS d-limonene has been shown to cause cancer -- .
In green agriculture orange scent repels insects . If your kitchen is stale take a peel and give it a twist . The volatile oils will quickly freshen it.
I buy a product which is concentrated natural d limonene from orange peels called Orange-A-Peel , on the lable it says Poison -- has many uses in kitchen and bathroom cleaning plus pest control. I experimented with different concentrations to spray around the recycling bins to keep ants away . It works . Same for flies .
But for a floor freshener in the puppy room ? never ever again. I did have a scary experience many years ago where trace of orange peel concentrate was left in the dampness of the floor , pups come in get feet moist , start licking the floor , their feet and boy oh boy -- irritated stomachs - took a while to recover on that one -

Champion juicer is quite the gift ! The pulp that comes out after juicing has little nutritional benefit - that's the purpose of juicing -- basically indegistible fibre . I wouldn't even use it for soup -- I know they recommend it for this purpose but so much flavour and nutrition is removed the "soup" is a bit on the yucky side .

this "Fyi, his raw diet mix consists of about 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat.. the veggie portion consists of: spinach, peas, carrot, celery and beet. The meat portion is equal parts: cow heart, cow liver, cow tongue, kidney and ground beef."
is a diet too high in fibrous vegetable matter , especially if it is the waste of the juicing efforts , and too low in meat , and little evidence of mineral / calcium via bone .
None of the veggies in his raw mix are from the juicer,, as for calcium. I forgot to list the cottage cheese in there as well... I've been nervous about adding bone to his food.. I've read that raw bone is fine, but still nervous... I'm open for suggestions,, ill start by adding more meat.... which bones should I start with?

Also, he gets GNC vitamins for puppies, omega 3 and omega 6 pills plus a can of salmon once a week

Last edited by Yoschi's_Pet_Human; 12-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Although my pup loves them, brussel sprouts give terrible gas, I would avoid those.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Guess I have the answer validated..... like I said, I gave Yoschi some pureed peel mixed in with his food last night,,, he had a little diarrhea earlier and I just now came home to a crate smeared with diarrhea and vomit... poor guy,,, I wish I had asked before giving it to him..
Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yes that is what you get --

Carmspack
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Good info., my dogs love carrots and apples
mosul210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not be surprised if the dog will have some blood in the stool.

Give a bland diet -- get some slippery elm .

You need to really know what is appropriate for a dog or not. You can end up with an accute problem , as you are experiencing now, or a chronic problem with a longer period for the problem to show itself - organ damage or compromise, inflammation etc.

carrots go in and come out basically the same way - unless juiced and then reunited , apples are a good source for pectin (soothing) and fiber - however since apples are on the high contaminants list it is a good idea to go organic .

Carmspack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.