Training Cesar's way..... For 6K - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I thought this yayhoo was using Cesar as some sort of mentor -- he did at least use the title that Cesar has been given here. Anyone know if they actually ever did work together?
Africa’s Dog Whisperer’s Dog Attacks 4 Year Old Girl at Mall | Life With Dogs
Anyone can call themselves a "dog whisperer" though, it doesn't really mean anything. In fact Paul Owens was using the term quite a while before Cesar started calling himself "the dog whisperer" and Owens' methods are much more in line with what I would think of if I heard the term "whispering".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
Anyone can call themselves a "dog whisperer" though, it doesn't really mean anything. In fact Paul Owens was using the term quite a while before Cesar started calling himself "the dog whisperer" and Owens' methods are much more in line with what I would think of if I heard the term "whispering".

I always think of Monty Roberts when I hear the term whisperer. Paul Owens should have trade-marked it as he had the dog whisperer coined first!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #53 (permalink)

Anthony8858,

OK - I'm sure this thread has turned out exactly as you wanted - another CM bashing thread. Job well-done.

Now that everyone has given their thoughts - AGAIN - on the man, can we move on?

Those that don't like CM will forEVER chase these threads in an effort to say how bad he is. Those that are like the guy will do the same. No news there.

Put aside your jealousy that he can get 6K for training so-called dog trainers. Maybe you can only get $100/hr. Whatever. Get OVER it!!

We've paid anywhere from $65 - 200 / hr for assinine trainers. I'd GLADLY pay the $$ - if I had it - for training. As often as I've complained about our Rrescue dog or her trainers - I notice none of you have "volunteered" your wondrous expertise - either for free or for $200/hr. I rest my case.

People either like CM or hate him. But how often do we have to go over the same crap? Put your money where your mouth is. If you don't like the man - then ignore the threads about him. Geez...
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's silly to say that it is jealousy. Most of the trainers I know that don't like his methods, it has nothing to do with the man himself or how much money he makes, it is about the methods he uses, his misinterpretations of dog body language, and his comparing dogs and wolves even though the wolf studies that gave rise to things like the alpha roll have since been discredited. I've heard comments (from well known trainers) such as "Cesar Millan has set dog training back 20 years".
If it was not for those issues they would most likely have no problems with him,they don't care how much money he makes. It's not like there aren't enough dogs that need training/behavioral help to go around.
Do you think the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (and several other organizations IIRC) issued statements against the type of methods used in his show because they are jealous? If that was the case why wouldn't they have similar statements regarding other popular trainers methods?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #55 (permalink)

I don't particularly like him because he has nothing to offer me. I don't see him training dogs to a high level, participating in events at a regional or even local level. He's just putting on a show fixing what stupid people have caused. I blame the owners and I do appreciate his honestly and bluntness with them but to me this is not "dog training" it is just common sense. I have a well bred dog that is not afraid of slippery floors, doesn't attack me when I get on my own bed, doesn't chase shadows on the wall, and behaves himself around other dogs so what can CM offer me? Nothing. I guess if he can offer someone else something worth $6000 good for him.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
It's silly to say that it is jealousy. Most of the trainers I know that don't like his methods, it has nothing to do with the man himself or how much money he makes, it is about the methods he uses, his misinterpretations of dog body language, and his comparing dogs and wolves even though the wolf studies that gave rise to things like the alpha roll have since been discredited. I've heard comments (from well known trainers) such as "Cesar Millan has set dog training back 20 years".
If it was not for those issues they would most likely have no problems with him,they don't care how much money he makes. It's not like there aren't enough dogs that need training/behavioral help to go around.
Do you think the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (and several other organizations IIRC) issued statements against the type of methods used in his show because they are jealous? If that was the case why wouldn't they have similar statements regarding other popular trainers methods?
This exactly!

He's an idiot, it is that simple. I don't care if he's a rich or poor (financially) idiot, but he's an idiot.
If he was a dingbat living down the road and "giving" his services away, I'd say the same thing.
And I'm not a trainer!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And the Cesar fans will come on and defend him tooth and nail, calling those who do not bow down and worship the ground he walks on, jealous, and now we have never offered assistance or help to people, who have issues. Whatever.

The guy isn't God's gift to dogs or dog trainers. Out of one side of the mouthes of those who worship him, they say "it says don't try this at home." On the other side, they say that so many people learn from him and use his methods to great effect. I can only go by what I have seen, and I have seen more dogs harmed by Cesar's methods, than dogs helped.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
This exactly!

He's an idiot, it is that simple. I don't care if he's a rich or poor (financially) idiot, but he's an idiot.
If he was a dingbat living down the road and "giving" his services away, I'd say the same thing.
And I'm not a trainer!

Maybe it would help you understand if you were?

"Idiot" - kind of harsh??????????????????
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #59 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Anthony8858,

OK - I'm sure this thread has turned out exactly as you wanted - another CM bashing thread. Job well-done.

Now that everyone has given their thoughts - AGAIN - on the man, can we move on?

Those that don't like CM will forEVER chase these threads in an effort to say how bad he is. Those that are like the guy will do the same. No news there.

Put aside your jealousy that he can get 6K for training so-called dog trainers. Maybe you can only get $100/hr. Whatever. Get OVER it!!

We've paid anywhere from $65 - 200 / hr for assinine trainers. I'd GLADLY pay the $$ - if I had it - for training. As often as I've complained about our Rrescue dog or her trainers - I notice none of you have "volunteered" your wondrous expertise - either for free or for $200/hr. I rest my case.

People either like CM or hate him. But how often do we have to go over the same crap? Put your money where your mouth is. If you don't like the man - then ignore the threads about him. Geez...

Not sure if I should laugh at this ^^^

I have NEVER bashed CM, and don't start flame wars. I've watched his show, and picked up various tidbits myself.

I was merely curious what everyone's thoughts would be about CM charging 6K for a "few hours" of group training.

It is NOT geared towards trainers (as others have mentioned). I think most knowledgeable trainers wouldn't need his psychology center to learn how to handle a dog.

My REAL concern is how many people will walk out of there, shh'in, and kickin' their dogs, thinking their 6K made them dog experts in a week.

I'm sorry, I don't dislike CM. I think he's awesome. ..sometimes.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #60 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
And the Cesar fans will come on and defend him tooth and nail, calling those who do not bow down and worship the ground he walks on, jealous, and now we have never offered assistance or help to people, who have issues. Whatever.

The guy isn't God's gift to dogs or dog trainers. Out of one side of the mouthes of those who worship him, they say "it says don't try this at home." On the other side, they say that so many people learn from him and use his methods to great effect. I can only go by what I have seen, and I have seen more dogs harmed by Cesar's methods, than dogs helped.

You have actually seen and been in contact with some of the dogs that Cesar trained?

Were these dogs any that were shown on his TV show or did you have contact with some of his private work with clients and their dogs?

It must have been very interesting to you to actually meet and interact with some of the dogs that were rehabilitated by Cesar.

What did their owners have to say about having Cesar himself actually work with them and their dogs?

Did you have a chance to meet many of these dogs and owners or just a few?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.