Training Cesar's way..... For 6K - Page 15 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #141 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
"Seek out"? Um, it's right here in my "active threads". I didn't have to go far...!
I don't get why he's so sacred nobody can have a differing opinion in JUST threads pertaining to him.

Or, perhaps we need to make a section just for non-CM fans to talk about how he's washed up and needs to join this century?
Except the fans would be there, then, talking about how he's the best thing since sliced bread...!

Certainly since McDonald's biscuits anyway!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #142 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
harmony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 2,353
Default

Cesar is a good people person and dog trainer, to what I have seen
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #143 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
harmony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 2,353
Default

My goodness have you ever thought about putting up with the kind of people he does, not a lot will do that anymore.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #144 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Gwenhwyfair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,085
Default

Huh? All trainers put up with the same kind of human beans CM does.

It's all one big fluffy strawman.

No matter which trainer a person goes to if they are not going to invest the time, energy, practice and consistency they will not have good results.

Micheal Ellis, Victoria Stillwell, Ceasar.....cannot change attitudes.

I was going to a weekly OB class that was based on Michael Ellis, I and a few other people were really commited and showed up every week, practiced during the week and got good results. Other people showed up, saw our dogs but didn't want to put in the practice, the work, to get results. The tendancy was to blame the trainer or the 'method' when in fact the problem was they wanted results but didn't want to do the work.

You know that's not something any trainer can 'fix' with his clients, even if they have $6k to spend on training. I've come to the conclusion that many people just like to talk about training....they just aren't really that invested in getting real results through practice and work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
My goodness have you ever thought about putting up with the kind of people he does, not a lot will do that anymore.
__________________
Smitty (rescue) Ilda WGSL 4/28/10 Autumn Australian Shepherd 10/9/11
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #145 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 18,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Personally, until someone, esp. another trainer, has handled and fixed the type of dogs that CM has evidently done, perhaps they could shut up and "DO" something instead of just talking?
The trainer I used to train under (for about three years, she is no longer doing classes because of family health reasons) has worked with tons of these dogs, I can't even count. *Most* of the dogs she works with are messed up in some way (skittish, aggressive, out of control, have weird obsessions or neurotic tendencies). I worked with her because I used to have such a dog (she is now at the bridge). She's a great trainer and only $35/hr! She doesn't need to be on TV to get clients, plenty of people locally took her classes or worked with her privately and she also used to give really cheap classes at a community center since so many pet owners won't do any training because of cost. How do you know there aren't brilliant trainers out there just because they ARE doing something and aren't just talking about it on TV?
__________________
Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #146 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
The trainer I used to train under (for about three years, she is no longer doing classes because of family health reasons) has worked with tons of these dogs, I can't even count. *Most* of the dogs she works with are messed up in some way (skittish, aggressive, out of control, have weird obsessions or neurotic tendencies). I worked with her because I used to have such a dog (she is now at the bridge). She's a great trainer and only $35/hr! She doesn't need to be on TV to get clients, plenty of people locally took her classes or worked with her privately and she also used to give really cheap classes at a community center since so many pet owners won't do any training because of cost. How do you know there aren't brilliant trainers out there just because they ARE doing something and aren't just talking about it on TV?
Heh I missed that (what cod said) as I tend to ignore most his posts, especially the BOLDED/huge font/blaring colored posts

But - of all the things to say!!

The outright disses to me when I claim that I am "not a trainer" (I'm not) yet I've rehabbed some very nasty dogs, when they come here and are so reactive they want to bite immediately, it's their first response to everything.

I've donned leather gloves and petted dogs so they realize not every hand coming towards them is going to hit them. They realize it eventually!
Slowly built their trust back up to the point where they can be handled safely by others. The ones that never did become able to be handled by others, we made the tough call to put to sleep. I've probably put to sleep more dogs than many people have owned their entire lives, always a tough call when it's behavior related but then again, some dogs are broken beyond being fixable, even with extensive rehab.

How many here can even say that much, or has it been it all two dogs you've owned from puppyhood that you've been working with??

I'm not a trainer, and don't claim to be one but I've fixed more situations with rescues and assisted other dogs still in their homes that their owners wanted to give them up, and wound up keeping, when they realized how easily workable situations with their dogs are!

So to sit around saying we just sit around "just talking" is BS. In "downtime" between here in the rescue and assisting others (to keep their pets), I find time to talk about what I've found that works and for that I am dissed. And then lectured because I ought to realize that CM "knows so much" about dogs, and walks on water in his downtime.
Lovely
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #147 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Central Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,424
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Anthony8858,

I notice none of you have "volunteered" your wondrous expertise - either for free or for $200/hr. I rest my case.
Huh?? What kinda problems are you having???
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #148 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 29,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
Huh?? What kinda problems are you having???
I found these previous threads about Ziva, and actually several people posting here DID offer suggestions:

Hello from Crazy California

Rescue adoptee marking in house

Constant Jumping Up

Since she won't stop eating her poop...

I did a quick scan and don't see anything about a problem with biting in any of the previous threads, and I don't recall ever reading about biting issues either, until recently.

Most of us here are NOT dog trainers though, and even those that are, aren't going to advise someone about a serious biting problem over the internet beyond suggesting they find a good trainer or behaviorist.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #149 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 29,128
Default

Our first real trainer, with Cassidy in 2000, specializes in aggression: About Lisa Clifton-Bumpass : About A Step Beyond, LLC

Also - fear, phobias, and anxiety, which is often the root cause of the "aggression" Cesar deals with on his show, including the infamous Holly. When we met her she was doing group classes at various places, but now has her own private training business. One of her dogs at the time was a pit bull that had been surrendered for biting a child in the face. Lisa rehabilitated and adopted him.

Quote:
Additionally, Pawsitive Steps has been employed as consultant for various local shelters, rescue groups, and humane organizations who call on her to review particularly difficult behavior cases. Lisa works with pet owners as well as specialists in confirmation, flyball, obedience, and search and rescue handlers, schutzhund, and tracking competitors to solve training and problem behavior issues.

In her private practice, Lisa focuses exclusively on dogs with aggression, fear, phobia, and anxiety issues. Additionally, A Step Beyond consults with professional trainers, rescue groups, shelters and animal management and behavior consultants. She is also considered an expert in the evaluation and treatment of animal behavior problems and testified as an expert witness in a court case involving dog aggression, canine behavior and training methodology.
Lisa is a Certified member of the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants and the International Institute for Applied Companion Animal Behavior, a Certified Dog Behavior Counselor (CDBC), International Association of Animal Behavior Counselors, and the 2005 APDT Dog Trainer of the Year.

So yeah, there are other trainers who do what Cesar does, with the same kind of dogs that he works with.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #150 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Debbieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calif
Posts: 1,441
Default

Cesar is a bargain! This guy, called "the dogfather" charges "50,000!

The Perfect Dog
__________________
Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD


http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com