Training Cesar's way..... For 6K - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 AM   #111 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
And this is the part that I like (though I think it's odd how he tends to get credit for these ideas and his little mantras). I like the parts where he's not touching the dog.
I don't because in those parts he's still on about alpha and wolf packs and keeps misinterpreting dog body language. Not that he doesn't have some good points such as that dogs need exercise and rules, and that type of thing, his basic ideas like that can be good, but of course none of that is new info, I would hope any trainer would tell people those basics but if he gets people to exercise their dogs who were before then that is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #112 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
I don't because in those parts he's still on about alpha and wolf packs and keeps misinterpreting dog body language. Not that he doesn't have some good points such as that dogs need exercise and rules, and that type of thing, his basic ideas like that can be good, but of course none of that is new info, I would hope any trainer would tell people those basics but if he gets people to exercise their dogs who were before then that is good.

How much about dog training or behavior is new?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #113 (permalink)
Elite Member

note to self: do not bring up cm, ever.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
I'll take it 1 step further & ask how many of you would've kept this dog we have?
I'll admit, I'm not familiar with your story, only know from the comments you make but never saw your original threads asking for help. But the answer to your questions above is... Me.

My youngest dog, Holly, is a biter. She'd biten several people by the age of 6 months including 2 so called "professional trainers". She was hung on a prong and bounced off every surface of a car by a SchH trainer at 5 months old when she bit him. And then I was called and asked to foster this dog that no one could touch. I did. She's never bitten me but she sure did test me.

Over a year later, she's good with most people, still dog reactive but it's all fear and she gets along with my two (which took over a month to do while living in the same house) and I choose not to push her with other dogs. We still foster and board dogs regularly and keep her managed.

Our next challenge is she HATES kids and we have a baby on the way but we will work through that too. We're already working with her on it at home. All done without the help of celebrity trainers. I do read and study trainers I align with, study canine cognition and training theory on my own. I don't use force or corrective collars. In fact, putting one on Holly would not go well.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #115 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
You, unlike so many folks on this forum, do seem to "get" Mr. Milan's approach. HE IS NOT A DOG TRAINER! He says that on his show.
Everybody "gets" his approach.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #116 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
What does his size have to do with anything?

if anyone ever used the term "little woman" on this forum, can't you see the firestorm that would unleash?

Wouldn't be pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are defensive and argumentative over everything, aren't you? Jane makes a joke about "virginia" so you attack her. I make a joke so you attack me. I wasn't thinking about his size when I said that. I was just thinking "it's only one man" and everyone is in an uproar. So attack away. I think these threads are ridiculous. Nobody attacked CM originally...they just said they wouldn't pay that much to go to his seminar and listed others that they would see for less money. And then the CM groupies come along carrying their torches and pitchforks, screaming "Burn the Witch!" and then it all fell apart from the insults being thrown at the other members of the board. You all really need to take a break, come back in two weeks without the attitude and read this thread again. It's utterly ridiculous.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 12-31-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #117 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
You are defensive and argumentative over everything, aren't you? Jane makes a joke about "virginia" so you attack her. I make a joke so you attack me. I wasn't thinking about his size when I said that. I was just thinking "it's only one man" and everyone is in an uproar. So attack away. I think these threads are ridiculous. Nobody attacked CM originally...they just said they wouldn't pay that much to go to his seminar and listed others that they would see for less money. And then the CM groupies come along carrying their torches and pitchforks, screaming "Burn the Witch!" and then it all fell apart from the insults being thrown at the other members of the board. You all really need to take a break, come back in two weeks without the attitude and read this thread again. It's utterly ridiculous.
That's what I see...people get worked up if you even just said "Oh I wouldn't waste the money".
And you're a "hater" if you simply say "no use for him"...amazing.

It's a style of training I can never ever get behind, it's a philosophy I cannot get behind.
It's old-style training and things have progressed, thank God.

And for those stuck in alphadom and wolf-pack theories, that's fine. I know I'm not a wolf, nor a dog, and I refuse to behave like one, or try to, because dogs know we walk on 2 legs while they walk on 4.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #118 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Man if I could...I'd "psht" poke all of you!!!!
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #119 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
whewwww....you people sure do get all worked up over one little man. LOL

I used to enjoy watching his show on natgeo, I must admit. I had to put a stop to it because my fiance' would watch with me and started to sound like a leaky tire. Everytime I turned around he was 'psst pssting' the dogs who bounced around thinking 'psst' was the new command for more pandemonium.

This is why I train using German commands and he can 'psst psst' all he wants, it's funny watching him.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #120 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Shelters and rescues were full a long time before Cesar ever set foot in the United States. Find somebody else to blame.

I watched probably the first four seasons and read one of his books and anyone who thinks he spends most of the time alpha rolling, slamming dogs around and using compulsion most of the time is simply wrong.

He is all about stability in the dogs and the owners. Calm assertiveness, lots of exercise and rules, boundaries and limitations. Almost like his own version of NILF.
d.
Agree with this. I also think he has done a lot to help Pit Bulls and encourage rescue. I don't use all his methods, but have never had a dog that needed them. I don't understand why he polarizes people so much. I wouldn't spend 6000 even if I had it to go to a seminar with him, but if people want to it is their business. I prefer Michael Ellis and would love to attend one of his seminars one day and his partner Lisa Maze, really helped me with my dog but to each his own.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.