Training Cesar's way..... For 6K - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #101 (permalink)
Crowned Member

whewwww....you people sure do get all worked up over one little man. LOL

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #102 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Shelters and rescues were full a long time before Cesar ever set foot in the United States. Find somebody else to blame.

I watched probably the first four seasons and read one of his books and anyone who thinks he spends most of the time alpha rolling, slamming dogs around and using compulsion most of the time is simply wrong.

He is all about stability in the dogs and the owners. Calm assertiveness, lots of exercise and rules, boundaries and limitations. Almost like his own version of NILF.

Msevette, I think you give good advice at times but what you believe is just that. Everyone who doesn't believe the way you do is not "wrong" necessarily.

When it comes to training everybody is an authority but in truth it's all just a bunch of different opinions that we all get to pick from.

Just like food, health issue or almost anything else dog related.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #103 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Find somebody else to blame.
You misread my entire post.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post

He is all about stability in the dogs and the owners. Calm assertiveness, lots of exercise and rules, boundaries and limitations. Almost like his own version of NILF.
And this is the part that I like (though I think it's odd how he tends to get credit for these ideas and his little mantras). I like the parts where he's not touching the dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #105 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I like the parts where he's not touching the dog.

Kinda off topic...but IIRC he talks about bringing an "energy" to the situation, and I was watching a movie last night called Grizzly Man.
He spoke the exact same way about bringing an "energy" to situations, being a "presence".
The guy then got eaten by the Grizzlies he was studying
Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #106 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ok...then maybe my definition of alpha roll is different than yours. I've never seen him do one. I've seen him put dogs on their sides and make them lay there...make them accept the fact that if a human tells you to do something, you do it, and its much easier to get a dog to calm down in the down position than any other position. We also all do this to our dogs...I did this to my dog when he was a puppy...he had to accept handling and accept laying in the positions I needed him to (either for nail trimming or a vet). It wasn't an alpha roll...it was me training my dog that nothing bad will happen as long as you stay calm and trust me.

Cesar never tells anyone to "alpha roll" a strange dog. If you watch his show, decide you want to help a buddy out and then "alpha roll" his dog...that's your stupidity, and if you want to blame Cesar for that after the dog bites/attacks you, that's your higher level of stupidity lol.

BTW...picking out the one episode in which he gets bitten out of the hundreds that he has, doesn't make your assumption of everyone that uses his method will get bit any less rediculous. He gets bit once and you throw it out of proportion saying everyone that uses his method is going to get bit.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #107 (permalink)

To me an apha roll is using force to put the dog on the ground lying down to get it to submit. That's what I saw, he did it several times over for several minutes. The dog was not commanded to lie down and then corrected when he didn't obey, he was muzzled and then pushed down repeatedly until he stopped fighting. I don't know if it really helped, obviously the dog gave up eventually in that moment but I just read that those owners don't own the dog anymore. I don't think CM got bit during that episode, the dog was muzzled. I'm not saying it was the wrong thing to do but I call it what it is, if that's not an alpha roll then I don't know what is...
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #108 (permalink)
Banned

That's why I said...like e-collars, when you abuse a physical correction (and think you are using it correctly) you can do a lot of damage to the dog physically and mentally, and even yourself
Since CM is all about the alpha, perhaps people are taking it to the next level. Don't ever underestimate people's stupidity

What'd be awesome is if he got on there and espoused something entirely different other than the outdated alpha stuff
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #109 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
whewwww....you people sure do get all worked up over one little man. LOL
What does his size have to do with anything?

if anyone ever used the term "little woman" on this forum, can't you see the firestorm that would unleash?

Wouldn't be pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #110 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Ok...then maybe my definition of alpha roll is different than yours. I've never seen him do one. I've seen him put dogs on their sides and make them lay there...make them accept the fact that if a human tells you to do something, you do it, and its much easier to get a dog to calm down in the down position than any other position. We also all do this to our dogs...I did this to my dog when he was a puppy...he had to accept handling and accept laying in the positions I needed him to (either for nail trimming or a vet). It wasn't an alpha roll...it was me training my dog that nothing bad will happen as long as you stay calm and trust me.

Cesar never tells anyone to "alpha roll" a strange dog. If you watch his show, decide you want to help a buddy out and then "alpha roll" his dog...that's your stupidity, and if you want to blame Cesar for that after the dog bites/attacks you, that's your higher level of stupidity lol.

BTW...picking out the one episode in which he gets bitten out of the hundreds that he has, doesn't make your assumption of everyone that uses his method will get bit any less rediculous. He gets bit once and you throw it out of proportion saying everyone that uses his method is going to get bit.
Every single pro trainer that I have ever known has gotten bitten a number of times. I guess that must mean that I have only met bad trainers, according to some folks on tis forum. Or maybe it means that they are nasty to dogs and "abuse" them?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.