Repercussions For Feeding Feral Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Repercussions For Feeding Feral Dogs?

There's been some ongoing issues with feral dogs downtown,and while the pack never bothers anyone, there have been some issues with business owners feeding the dogs. There's varying opinions and while some think that the dogs should be helped in some way, others think that business owners who feed them should be fined. I just wanted some opinions.

I think people may mean well,but feeding these dogs can lead to other issues. Some local store owners are saying that they try to feed the dogs to gain their trust.

There used to be a red dog who was always pregnant,but kept a low profile during the day. When she got really hungry though,you would see her running through the neighborhoods the day. Then there was a black male dog who would hang around with her,and probably sired most of the litters.

Last year the red and black dogs were caught along with a few other ferals because they were seen killing a doe. They were taken to shelter and pts.

There was an article in the paper saying that all of the dogs were caught,but there have been some more pregnant females spotted recently.The issue is that these dogs won't come near people and aren't easily caught even with traps.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 12-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
There's been some ongoing issues with feral dogs downtown,and while the pack never bothers anyone, there have been some issues with business owners feeding the dogs. There's varying opinions and while some think that the dogs should be helped in some way, others think that business owners who feed them should be fined. I just wanted some opinions.

I think people may mean well,but feeding these dogs can lead to other issues. Some local store owners are saying that they try to feed the dogs to gain their trust.

There used to be a red dog who was always pregnant,but kept a low profile during the day. When she got really hungry though,you would see her running through the neighborhoods the day. Then there was a black male dog who would hang around with her,and probably sired most of the litters.

Last year the red and black dogs were caught along with a few other ferals because they were seen killing a doe. They were taken to shelter and pts.

There was an article in the paper saying that all of the dogs were caught,but there have been some more pregnant females spotted recently.The issue is that these dogs won't come near people and aren't easily caught even with traps.

These dogs have obviously been around for a while and shame on the people who don't feed them, give them water, and/or trap them. Its an ongoing problem and feeding or not feeding them is not the biggest problem here. They need to be taken off the street and either rehabbed or destroyed. I don't blame the dog or dogs for killing the deer, they are trying to survive in a cruel world...what did they do to deserve the life they have? Forget the traps and use tranquilizer guns if need be. This just saddens me, we do not live in a third world country and this kind of stuff shouldn't even be happening.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Packs of stray dogs can kill children and pets. They need to be stopped.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agree with robK

There is an interesting case going on here in my city. A woman turned a "stray" dog into the city animal control claiming it was a stray she had been feeding for a couple of years but could not catch. She said she finally caught it and realized it had an "eye injury" (it looked like cherry eye on the news clip) and an imbedded collar. Upon turning it in and telling them the story of how she came to acquire the dog, she was heavily fined because in our city (and I'm sure many others), if you are feeding an animal for x period of time (it was something like two weeks or a month......) then you are responsible for said animal and the assumed owner of it. She changed her story after the fact claiming the dog only came around now and again and she would feed it, but either way, the city considers her responsible for it and she neglected care of the animal by not calling them in regards to the dog at an earlier date and waiting until she could personally catch it.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Check out this video: LiveLeak.com - Russian Janitor Saves Girl From Pack Of Dogs!!

This is what CAN happen if dogs are left to roam and form packs.

For cats I agree with the TNR - trap, neuter/spay and release. Their population will eventually die off and they are NOT a threat to humans.

Unfortunately, dogs can be a threat to humans and should not be allowed to form feral packs.

Dogs in a feral pack can be unafraid of people. That makes them more bold and more dangerous.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with everyone who thinks the pack should be stopped.

There used to be a pack of feral dogs running around Bowie, MD, had killed small animals, etc. I'd heard about them but never ran into them UNTIL one day I was at a local park eating my lunch at a picnic table. A few of the ferals ran up, bristled, growling, snarling (some stayed back quite a distance) ... I threw my sandwich at them and got the heck out of there. The police and animal control finally eliminated the pack but it took years.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This has been my point for a while,but unfortunately it's not a popular one when the conversation is brought up by others. A few people in my rescue 'circle' have told me that they are 'shocked' by my thoughts of eliminating the pack (in as humane a way as possible). You can't save everything unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
I agree with everyone who thinks the pack should be stopped.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wow I didn't know this happened in the United States! It definitely needs taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

There have been packs of feral dogs in remote areas here that are quite aggressive towards humans. People have been attacked and killed/eaten.

Unfortunately I think destroying the animals is the only course of action that can be taken.

Last edited by Ziltoid; 12-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Sad article - feral dogs kill four people

This article is about feral dogs mauling four people to death in Mexico City. One of the victims was a 1 year old child, two were teenagers, and the 26 year old mother of the baby.
Mexico City feral dog killings open debate - CenturyLink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.