What to do in a dog fight? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

If the dogs are locked by biting there's really only one way to break them up and that's by grabbing the back legs and lifting the dog up - that changes the leverage the dog has and they "should" let go.
You then have to quick and keep those back legs up and move in a circle to avoid getting bitten. (and that still leaves the other dog to keep attacking if you're on your own) the other way is to actually choke them.
Really breaking up a dogfight is very dangerous and you really need to be shown how to do it properly. There's a massive chance you'll get bitten or worse.

BTW No one could say anything about you carrying a proper walking stick
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Are you kidding?

First, I guarantee that if I hit a dog with the stick I carry for that, he/she ain't getting up!

Then, when you grab a dog while they are in a fight, you stand almost a guarantee of getting bit yourself. Besides, which dog do you grab, yours or the stranger? Grab yours and distract him/her and tyhe other one gets great opportunity to really hurt your dog! At least you should grab (distract!) the other one, that way while you are getting yourself bit, at least your dog can get a good bite in on the other distracted dog!

And your dog will do a Down command while in a dog fight for it's life??

Got to be the most obedient dog in the world, and the stupidist!

Remember, however, I am talking about a strange dog attacking your dog in a serious fight! Not a minor squabble between two of your own dogs! Totally different, very obviously!

Like a disagreement between brothers and a street fight!

Hope you never see the latter!

First off, I said it was between my own two girls. Secondly, when bitches fight, its not just a minor squabble. Third, yes, she will go into a downstay once I broke her out of it. Doesn't mean she wouldn't go right back in if she had the chance.
At that point it is all about your own body language and posture.

That is the vital key in breaking up a fight. Frantic behavior, kicking throwing and screaming, yes that might get you bit but if you stay calm and cool and wait for that second, pulling the dog out and choking it off while propelling away there is not much of a chance to get bit.

Once that is done all I have to do is to give her one glance. That's it and she will automatically go into a down. At that point I cannot let my guard down because she would go right back in if I did.
But no, I am not kidding, she does go into a down once I broke her out of a fight, it is a conditioned down and basically muscle memory.
If she doesn't go into that down herself, I will put her into it myself and demand the obedience and for her to snap out of it. Of course she doesn't go into a down while in the middle of a fight, but once she is broken out of it, yes, she will.

Doesn't mean she snapped out of her grudge and Indra is one of those bitches that becomes extremely moody and holds onto a grudge forever and a day when she gets into heat, while in heat and getting out of it.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 12-27-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

My sister has reached into a couple of dog fights, always with bad results.

My method has been that if a garden hose is handy, hose them down with water. Or throw a bucket of water on them.

We also live in an area of loose dogs, many of whom aren't very nice. I don't walk our dogs here for that reason. My husband runs and even if he doesn't take one of the dogs on his run with him, he carries a combat style baton that can be used to scare them off. But yeah, a big stick at the least, a can of bear spray or something like that, might work.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #34 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Depending on how many dogs I have walking with me,I will carry a walking stick sometimes. This neighborhood is pretty good with keeping their dogs in their yards.There are a few houses that have friendly that dogs who will come up to the edge of their driveway,but won't come out unless invited.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dognite View Post
My sister has reached into a couple of dog fights, always with bad results.

My method has been that if a garden hose is handy, hose them down with water. Or throw a bucket of water on them.

We also live in an area of loose dogs, many of whom aren't very nice. I don't walk our dogs here for that reason. My husband runs and even if he doesn't take one of the dogs on his run with him, he carries a combat style baton that can be used to scare them off. But yeah, a big stick at the least, a can of bear spray or something like that, might work.

If it is a real dog fight, a bucket of water will do nothing. If it is a squabble, that's a difference.

Also, you don't reach for the heads or the collars to pull them out. You reach for the back, the soft parts at the hips or the back legs. I grab right into the skin and fur and pull her up because it's easier to get than the back legs and then pull them out.

If I would reach for a collar or into the head region, yeah I can totally see getting bit.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dognite View Post
If the water doesn't work, you now have water and possibly slippery dogs to try and grab.

Staying calm and not jumping in right away is the most important piece of advice and hard to follow when your dog is involved. Yelling will only heighten things.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

when we got attacked by a St Bernard I had to kick it in the face multiple times. finally it got the picture. also you can carry mace.... or even for an absolute worst case scenario a legal knife.

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
chicagojosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

oh, and i did change my jogging route so we no longer pass that dog....now it's new ones lol

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
chicagojosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.