What to do in a dog fight? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

The owner was right there the whole time trying to get him to let go. It was a horrific experience. I was just walking him at our apartment complex and I had just talked to the owner and her dog was barking aggressively at their sliding door at Chief. Almost like he would break through the glass or knock the door down, so I hurried away and I guess she tried to get into the house and he pushed past I heard her scream no come back and look back, but as Chief looked he latched on. She was trying to pull his mouth open picked his back legs up pulled his tail and tried pulling him back.

She was finally able to get him to let go. I figured if anyone was going to get him off it was his owner me trying may only made him more aggressive. I don't know. I hurried to get to my apartment and got into the hallway area with the four doors almost was at my door when he came waleing around the corner again. I was right there right next to my door, but didnt want to open it because my dog Smokey would surley try to help he is 17 and may have been killed if the dog diverted to him and probably killed him, but finally he let go and I shoved Chief in. He was fine only a cut in his ear and a few marks under his chin.

We moved from there, so I dont have to stress anymore. I went to theit house telling them where I would be walking Chief at so we could avoid each other, but she never listened never asked if he was okay or apolizided.

Find something to carry if not mace pepper spray some kind of deterrent spray. You say you cant drive , so you know where they live walk the other direction. After that Chief became even more attached to me at the hip. I was calm my heart was beating a million miles an hour. I was just telling her she needed to get her dog off NOW. I was surprised no one heard. I was almost frozen like my mind went blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Curious as to what you did to help your dog - while the other dog had a bite grip on him? While he was staring at you?

Punch or kick the %^%$ out of the other dog!!!! Pull your shoe off and whale the H&&& out of him - in the eyes if needed!!!!!

I would treat it the attack as if it were my son or wife.

ANYTHING GOES! LIFE OR DEATH!

Chief-GSD

Last edited by frillint1; 12-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy714 View Post
So I recently had to move from a very dog friendly safe community to a neighborhood where there is a lot of dogs but highly doubt trained and properly socialized, they all seem like they know nothing else than the backyard. I never see anyone walking their dogs so I'm highly concerned for my safety and my 5 month old pups safety because as I walk by dogs do their killer barks and jumps, yes I have considered driving to a better location but it would be nice to not have to do that. Some of you have mentioned mace....will that harm a dog? Of course if I were in the scenario I would spray the other dog to protect and take off with mine but deep down I would feel bad if I caused major harm....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I know its extra but please drive your dog somewhere safe. No one walks dogs where I live and there is a reason. We have feral dogs and coyotes. Some idiot just moved here and is walking her dog along my fence. (half the time no leash) My dogs do the killer bark and jumps. I always call them inside when I see her coming, but one of these days she is going to have problems and it is not from me. Neighbor shoots lose dogs. I know one crawled to my house to die. People in this neighborhood have no use for dog walkers and some will let their dogs loose just for fun.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i think avoidance in the context of the OP is the best strategy - put yr dogs in a vehicle and walk them somewhere safe.

if it is urban and there are the same dogs casuing a problem then enough complaints should get local authorities to do something even if a fight has not occurred. loose dogs are generally illegal?
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
beating the heck out of a dog, while they are in a fight, doesn't help. They don't feel it. They continue on with the fight.
There are places to strike a dog to take it out.
1) forelegs- you can break them with a stick or a bat.
2) Bridge of nose - you can break it off with a stick or bat.
3) the spine BEHIND the ribs - same with that,

Those are the only 3 places to hurt a dog if you only have a stick or bat. And if you hit the dog hard enough to injure it, especially on the muzzle, you may cause a life-threatening injury. Those three places can be used in a life-or-death type struggle.

I agree - AVOID it by driving elsewhere.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Honestly, in my experiencing, beating the heck out of a dog, while they are in a fight, doesn't help. They don't feel it. They continue on with the fight. Your best option, in my experience, is to wait for that split second where one of them let's go and that split second always exists. While we tend to completely freak out and start screaming, kicking, throwing things, beating them with shovels, chairs, whatever we can crab, it doesn't help.

It is hard to stay calm in situations like these but you have to calm yourself and to stay cool and just go for that split second, grab the dog by the back and pull them up.

It is said to grab the back legs, however, personally, I grab into the back, right into the fur and skin, pull the top-dog into the air and once I've got the top-dog off I grab the fursaver as well. If she is still in the "kill-first or die" mode and wants to dive right back in, I choke her off and then put her into a down. The down is my emergency tool for pretty much everything and I know my bitch and know how she reacts and what triggers her.

Throwing and beating is nowhere near as effective as keeping a cool head. If I had done that instead, the fight would have lasted a lot longer and caused serious injuries. But with a cool and calm head the fight didn't last any longer than maybe 30-50 seconds.

Anything goes, life or death, as if it was your wife.... KEEP A CALM HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDER! That always gets the job done faster. .........
Are you kidding?

First, I guarantee that if I hit a dog with the stick I carry for that, he/she ain't getting up!

Then, when you grab a dog while they are in a fight, you stand almost a guarantee of getting bit yourself. Besides, which dog do you grab, yours or the stranger? Grab yours and distract him/her and tyhe other one gets great opportunity to really hurt your dog! At least you should grab (distract!) the other one, that way while you are getting yourself bit, at least your dog can get a good bite in on the other distracted dog!

And your dog will do a Down command while in a dog fight for it's life??

Got to be the most obedient dog in the world, and the stupidist!

Remember, however, I am talking about a strange dog attacking your dog in a serious fight! Not a minor squabble between two of your own dogs! Totally different, very obviously!

Like a disagreement between brothers and a street fight!

Hope you never see the latter!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
x11
Banned

oh i have seen some nasty fights between brothers but i digress.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
oh i have seen some nasty fights between brothers but i digress.

So have I, but not usually to the death like a "street fight". And if it is one, then more serious means of breaking it up are called for.

But and here is a difference, if a relative is breaking the fight up, they will usually not want to hurt either participant too much; BUT if I am breaking up a fight between my dog and a dog that attacked him - all bets are off regarding hurting the other dog.

My only goal (and yours?) would be to save my dog (and me) from any harm and i don't really care too much about the other dog if he keeps attacking!

Would you?

Anyway, just a thought and we hope that no one evers gets in the middle of a real attack/dog fight - never fun!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
x11
Banned

seen and been in enough fights of my own to know that it is something i would be happy to never see again.

as far as dogs go not sure if any posts mentioned tethering one dog up first opens up a lot of tactics and increases the safety of both dogs and people. a break stick can be fashioned by a lot of available objects.

maybe i seen different dogs but i don't necesarily buy into the fact that dogs get that cloudy that you will automatically get bit by going near them. just not what i seen but best advice is to assume it is that way.

if you have owners around that have lost the plot and are screaming and hitting dogs/each other that just makes the whole thing get "dangerous-er" for sure. staying very calm and deliberate in yr actions i think would break up most dogs fights without having to maim a dog in the process.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
seen and been in enough fights of my own to know that it is something i would be happy to never see again.

as far as dogs go not sure if any posts mentioned tethering one dog up first opens up a lot of tactics and increases the safety of both dogs and people. a break stick can be fashioned by a lot of available objects.

maybe i seen different dogs but i don't necesarily buy into the fact that dogs get that cloudy that you will automatically get bit by going near them. just not what i seen but best advice is to assume it is that way.

if you have owners around that have lost the plot and are screaming and hitting dogs/each other that just makes the whole thing get "dangerous-er" for sure. staying very calm and deliberate in yr actions i think would break up most dogs fights without having to maim a dog in the process.
Good thoughts!

Guess that I come from a different scholl sort of, if someone jumps on me in a serious fight attack, all bets (and Marquis of Queensbury rules) are off and I am fighting for my life so anything goes to save myself with the least amount of harm/risk to me. (And of course same for my dog in a dog fight with a dog that attacked him!)

If the attacker gets maimed, too bad if it stops the fight w/o me or my dog being hurt - success!

BTW, if a person starts hitting my dog for no excusable reason then he/she is open season as well with all reasonable means ok to protect him (and me).
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
illegal to carry a "stick"? Move! (heh! Heh!) a whistle to call a bobby?
:d:d:d
OffgridAlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.