What to do in a dog fight? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

If there are that many aggressive dogs I would avoid that area at all costs. Chief got attacked once and it was beyond horrible I didn't have anything and Chief just gave up fighting back and just stared at me while the mastiff/Pitt mix had a lock on him and wouldn't let go. I would carry mace or pepper spray just as a precautionary, but would avoid the area. After Chiefs attack he became aggressive towards any dog he saw even dogs he was best buddy's with and had met a bunch. Especially aggressive towards white dogs which is the color of the dog that attacked him. It took awhile to get him friend again and I'm lucky that he did, so I would risk you dogs safety, yours, or posibally changing your dog. Avoid the area avoid the problem.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

I Live in an area with a lot of stray dogs and dogs that are just locked up in the back yard with no training and sometimes escape. So, what I do is I drive to a better area. Usually I go to this place that is filled with wharehouses and It's lonely, or I might drive to downtown. Since downtown is filled with condos they require dogs to be trained so I feel confortable walking there. I try NOT to put my dog and I in a situation that can be dangerous.

But to answer your question well like a few said, you can walk with a stick. If you don't have one and a dog is approaching you then YOU protect your dog. Just be aware of your surroundings...

Last edited by lennoxbradley88; 12-26-2012 at 07:19 PM.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
Carrying a big stick, bear spray, or stun gun might be your best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frillint1
If there are that many aggressive dogs I would avoid that area at all costs.
I would carry mace or pepper spray just as a precautionary, but would avoid the area.
I agree with all these suggestions!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

So I recently had to move from a very dog friendly safe community to a neighborhood where there is a lot of dogs but highly doubt trained and properly socialized, they all seem like they know nothing else than the backyard. I never see anyone walking their dogs so I'm highly concerned for my safety and my 5 month old pups safety because as I walk by dogs do their killer barks and jumps, yes I have considered driving to a better location but it would be nice to not have to do that. Some of you have mentioned mace....will that harm a dog? Of course if I were in the scenario I would spray the other dog to protect and take off with mine but deep down I would feel bad if I caused major harm....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Roxy714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

I carry a .45 everywhere i go.
Switchblade906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks for everyone's input

To those who said carry mace or a stick ect. That's actually illegal in the uk. Mace can not be bought legally. And to the one no said carries a .45 haha I'd love to

Those saying drive somewhere and walk him. I'm 17, don't have a car. We do take Kai to parks that are safe but is not possible to take drive him 2 times a day to somewhere as me and my dad both work

Thanks for everyone's input though
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try something like this if pepper spray is illegal. It works just like it, but it's not going to burn the dogs eyes.

Amazon.com: SprayShield Animal Deterrent Spray with Belt Clip: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: SprayShield Animal Deterrent Spray with Belt Clip: Pet Supplies
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillint1 View Post
If there are that many aggressive dogs I would avoid that area at all costs. Chief got attacked once and it was beyond horrible I didn't have anything and Chief just gave up fighting back and just stared at me while the mastiff/Pitt mix had a lock on him and wouldn't let go. I would carry mace or pepper spray just as a precautionary, but would avoid the area. After Chiefs attack he became aggressive towards any dog he saw even dogs he was best buddy's with and had met a bunch. Especially aggressive towards white dogs which is the color of the dog that attacked him. It took awhile to get him friend again and I'm lucky that he did, so I would risk you dogs safety, yours, or posibally changing your dog. Avoid the area avoid the problem.
Curious as to what you did to help your dog - while the other dog had a bite grip on him? While he was staring at you?

Punch or kick the %^%$ out of the other dog!!!! Pull your shoe off and whale the H&&& out of him - in the eyes if needed!!!!!

I would treat it the attack as if it were my son or wife.

ANYTHING GOES! LIFE OR DEATH!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylano View Post
Thanks for everyone's input

To those who said carry mace or a stick ect. That's actually illegal in the uk. Mace can not be bought legally. And to the one no said carries a .45 haha I'd love to

Those saying drive somewhere and walk him. I'm 17, don't have a car. We do take Kai to parks that are safe but is not possible to take drive him 2 times a day to somewhere as me and my dad both work

Thanks for everyone's input though

Illegal to carry a "STICK"? Move! (Heh! Heh!) A whistle to call a Bobby?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Curious as to what you did to help your dog - while the other dog had a bite grip on him? While he was staring at you?

Punch or kick the %^%$ out of the other dog!!!! Pull your shoe off and whale the H&&& out of him - in the eyes if needed!!!!!

I would treat it the attack as if it were my son or wife.

ANYTHING GOES! LIFE OR DEATH!

Honestly, in my experiencing, beating the heck out of a dog, while they are in a fight, doesn't help. They don't feel it. They continue on with the fight. Your best option, in my experience, is to wait for that split second where one of them let's go and that split second always exists. While we tend to completely freak out and start screaming, kicking, throwing things, beating them with shovels, chairs, whatever we can crab, it doesn't help.

It is hard to stay calm in situations like these but you have to calm yourself and to stay cool and just go for that split second, grab the dog by the back and pull them up.

It is said to grab the back legs, however, personally, I grab into the back, right into the fur and skin, pull the top-dog into the air and once I've got the top-dog off I grab the fursaver as well. If she is still in the "kill-first or die" mode and wants to dive right back in, I choke her off and then put her into a down. The down is my emergency tool for pretty much everything and I know my bitch and know how she reacts and what triggers her.

She came out of heat and is very moody and over the top bitchy. Hubby let all the girls outside and she got into a fight with one of my other bitches. As long as I'm there supervising, everything is alright, but when hubby let's them out, poop will hit the fan because the dynamic is much different as if I am out there with them.
The key is to be calm, yet fast in your reaction and all I did was grab her at the behind, pulled her out, grabbed the fursaver and choked her off, then put her into a down, sent the other two girls inside and then lead Indra inside, examined her, went upstairs, crated her, put Nala on the table and examined her.

Throwing and beating is nowhere near as effective as keeping a cool head. If I had done that instead, the fight would have lasted a lot longer and caused serious injuries. But with a cool and calm head the fight didn't last any longer than maybe 30-50 seconds.

Anything goes, life or death, as if it was your wife.... KEEP A CALM HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDER! That always gets the job done faster.

THINK FIRST, THAN ACT!
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.