Do You Control Vet Receptionists' Interactions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Do You Control Vet Receptionists' Interactions?

Do you normally control the interactions between your dogs and the receptionists at the office? I don't allow any of my dogs to jump or be obnoxious when greeting people,even if we are at the vets office. They don't have to be soldiers either,but greeting politely isn't an option for me.

I was at the vet today with my cat, and there were a ton of people coming in to drop off their dogs for the holidays. I noticed that most of them were being dragged in by their dogs and of course the receptionists went crazy over the dogs and that just made them more out of control. The owners seemed ok with it. As I was leaving a couple came in with two huge Rhodesian Ridgebacks who actually pulled the kennel tech down when he tried to walk both of them back for boarding. Of course though,everyone thought it was cute.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

When my dogs (there is no hope my cats will be happy) go to the vet, I let them build up as much happy, silly, pleasantness as they possibly can. I know that whatever will happen in the exam room will be invasive and uncomfortable almost every time. so anything that can counteract that, I am good with, as long as the receptionists are.

I also know that if anyone has to stay for a surgery or whatever, the receptionists might spend some extra time in the back with them if it is a dog that they have had upbeat interactions with.

If the vet office is the place where they can do "bad" things and have a good time doing it, then I am going to let them so that they can have some positive associations there. If I can even it out so that it's happy going in, so-so in the exam room, and happy going out, they win. I'm still IN CONTROL because I am allowing it.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, everything is under control.
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

While I try to make the vet's office a "happy place", I don't allow my dogs to act like idiots while there. I do allow them to place their front feet on the counter and get a cookie and some pets, but if the waiting room is full, I make them sit or lie quietly and not get too excited.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I control the interactions, and make sure the dogs are on their best behavior. They can absolutely greet the staff, but behave yourself and don't lose control.

I do not allow the vets (or any other staff) to take my dogs anywhere for any reason. If my dogs need something done, I take them back, I tell them what to do, or hold them, and the staff does what they need to do.

My vet knows that my dogs will listen to my every word, so they completely allow it. The only time I am not with my dog is for a routine spay/neuter, other than that I make it a requirement to be there. Thank god my vet and I have a great relationship!
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have to say that the staff at my vet is very professional. When the GSD stands on the counter, she is taller then me, so they are talking and she pops up They don't get overly excited and that keeps my dog calm. If its busy, we go sit down and watch the rest of the circus...I feel proud when my dog is sitting still, being quiet, and behaving.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chrono doesn't get excited over the vet receptionists because they don't really get excited when pets come in. They just stay behind their counter. The most they do is give him these really yucky treats that even HE won't eat. He spits them out. If Chrono won't even eat it, it's probably not edible.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I love my vet but the techs and receptionists are idiots. I don't let them touch him, just the vet. My vet will even clip the nails for me and not have his techs do it

I had to leave Delgado there for his neuter and he apparently did very well but if at all possible I stay with my animals at all times

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The vet is the same sort of experience as going to the pet store. We stay calm, polite, friendly, and nothing out of the ordinary. I don't make the vet seem like an incredible place where Hunter can go wild, nor is it a bad or scary place. The vet is just another place we go, nothing special about it.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depending on the insurance, the clinic can be sued by the owner of the pet for their own dog biting/hurting them when restraining for a procedure. I work in a clinic and can honestly say that 95% of the owners have no single clue about proper restraint techniques. And no owners that ever comes in knows how to restrain in order for us to properly draw blood from the various different places on a dog or cat that we use. So it bugs me when people say that I, as a trained technician, am not allowed to touch your pet. I am covered by the insurance if, god forbid, something goes wrong. I have been trained how to properly restrain any animal and clip nails and draw blood samples. its why i went to school. Most owners can't even control their dogs on leash, let alone hold off a vein for a blood draw. If you don't allow technicians to do their job, then don't come to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.