Do You Control Vet Receptionists' Interactions? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

I typically enforce the same rules we always have- a sit before we open the doors and go in and sitting for petting as opposed to jumping up on the counter. But I am fine with the receptionists being as happy and friendly with him as possible and showering him with treats because I want him to think 'this is a happy place'.
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Depending on the insurance, the clinic can be sued by the owner of the pet for their own dog biting/hurting them when restraining for a procedure. I work in a clinic and can honestly say that 95% of the owners have no single clue about proper restraint techniques. And no owners that ever comes in knows how to restrain in order for us to properly draw blood from the various different places on a dog or cat that we use. So it bugs me when people say that I, as a trained technician, am not allowed to touch your pet. I am covered by the insurance if, god forbid, something goes wrong. I have been trained how to properly restrain any animal and clip nails and draw blood samples. its why i went to school. Most owners can't even control their dogs on leash, let alone hold off a vein for a blood draw. If you don't allow technicians to do their job, then don't come to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

I absolutely get this, if the owner has shown that they do not have control of their dog, it will be way safer for you to do the handling.

However, I do really believe, that if the owner has absolute control over their dog, that letting them do the handling will decrease stress in the dog, its not about taking over your job.

I have had my dogs hips, elbows, heart and thyroid health clearances done, all with no sedation, all with my handling. My dogs have had needles in their jugular veins, been flipped on their sides, backs and expected to lay absolutely still for 15 minutes while heart tests were done. Everything was done quickly and stress free, xrays only needing one shot taken, all because my dogs were not stressed about being handled by people they do not know.

Now, if someone comes in with a dog who is already stressed, you can pretty much say that the dog is lacking trust in the handler, so whether they are stressed with you or the handler makes no difference, just that it is safer for you to handle than the owner.

Either way, I hear what you are saying, and I agree that for the majority of dogs coming through, you have the right idea. But I used to be with a different clinic, when I told them I would restrain my dog for a blood draw, they said no, they wouldn't even let me try, so I walked out and got on with the new clinic. I LOVE my vet, and I love the staff. They told me right off the bat, that I could be in the room and restrain for the blood draw, but if my dog freaked and in any way resisted, they would ask me to leave and they would do the heavy lifting. I thought that was fair. That was 3 years ago, and I have never once been asked to leave my dog with them. IN FACT, the dog training school I work with has been asked to come and teach a course, at the clinic, on teaching your dog proper manners at the vet, and how to be safely handled.
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well, I control any interaction with my dog anywhere, the vet office is no different. Normally our vet techs don't go gaga over every dog though, so I've never had to stop Nikon from getting overly friendly. I tend to keep him on a short leash at the vet because of all the sick dogs. Last week when we were there, there was a dog in the waiting room that was hacking up a lung and then took a huge dump on the floor. There was a lady behind me in line and I let her pet Nikon and give him a hug but he just stands there wagging his tail, he doesn't really get worked up and try to jump on people (Coke will though).

As for restraining my dogs, the place where I go the actual vet does everything so I've never had to hand off a dog to a vet tech. All they do is show us into a room. Usually I just help the vet restrain my dog when needed. For example last week I was giving Nikon treats to keep him in the center of the room so the vet had access to where he needed to give the vaccine. He also collected Nikon to check his sperm count and Nikon was OK with that, lol. Nikon's also had blood draws for annual heartworm tests and it's never really been an issue, even if there's an occasional growl at the vet. I guess I don't really think about it much since so far all my dogs have been OK with handling, or if they give the vet a stern look or short growl it's nothing that a stern command from me and a treat from the vet can't overcome.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well what I saw today was nothing but a three ring circus. The staff does take excellent care of the animals,and that's important. However, I don't think racing up to dogs with squeaky voices and encouraging them to get overly excited is that smart,especially when you have multiple dogs in the lobby,some on fully extended flexi leads,etc.I couldn't believe they were laughing when those two Rhodesian Ridgebacks pulled the tech down. I guess I'm 'out of the club' a little bit though because I don't allow my dogs to go wild in the lobby.

I do love the doctor that sees my animals though,so I guess that's all that matters. I have only stepped a couple of times to assist the vet,but that was only when they ask me to. He's always been really good with making the dogs comfortable,oh and my cats too.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 12-24-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Depending on the insurance, the clinic can be sued by the owner of the pet for their own dog biting/hurting them when restraining for a procedure. I work in a clinic and can honestly say that 95% of the owners have no single clue about proper restraint techniques. And no owners that ever comes in knows how to restrain in order for us to properly draw blood from the various different places on a dog or cat that we use. So it bugs me when people say that I, as a trained technician, am not allowed to touch your pet. I am covered by the insurance if, god forbid, something goes wrong. I have been trained how to properly restrain any animal and clip nails and draw blood samples. its why i went to school. Most owners can't even control their dogs on leash, let alone hold off a vein for a blood draw. If you don't allow technicians to do their job, then don't come to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I agree that most vets no longer allow the owner to handle the dog while in the room. When mine got sick a couple months ago, I was allowed to hold her at one of the vets, but I have worked as a vet tech and I do know how to restrain a dog. The second vet, which is a very good vet takes the dog out of the room to draw blood, clip nails, etc...I tend to think that dogs handle situations and are better behaved when the owner is not there. When she goes to get her shots at another place I'm not allowed to handle her at all.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The receptionists at my vet used to never approach Bianca, they mostly just stayed behind the counter or at a distance until I told them she loved attention and I asked if they wanted to give her treats because I wanted to associate vet visits with positive things. After that they would come up and pet/treat her a bit. They didn't act overly excited though or rile the dogs up.
I think they assumed she was not friendly or didn't like strangers until I told them that, since she wasn't the overly demonstrative type of dog and would not approach people without permission...
At my vet most people seem to be good with keeping their pets restrained and everything, although if the place is otherwise empty they will sometimes let a client's dogs play with the vet's dogs which can get rowdy, but they only do that if the dogs already are friends and they are the only ones there (or for example if I'm there they ask me if I mind, I also work for my vet at times so they know me and my pets well.)
As far as the dog I expect the same manners at the vet as elsewhere, but if I was working on not jumping up or polite greetings, I would probably tell the receptionists and techs that and ask if they can help me with this (show them how to approach or explain how I am training so they can know what to do).

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 12-27-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I control the interactions of my dogs with everything. I refuse to allow them to be put into situations that would make them fail. Sure it still happens, I am not god and I cannot control everything. But this is my dog, my pack, my rules. It absolutely does not matter who it is. Receptionist, Vet, my mother, my best friend. No one touches my dog in a manner that I do not like.

Ask anyone around me, if there is anything they will say is absolute with me, it is do not mess with my dogs.
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs are not allowed to behave like maniacs anywhere. We don't take Banshee inside until they call us. Jax has to sit and behave and not get up and wander around like she likes to do. And the techs are not allowed to take them in the back. Especially after I watched some guy manhandle Jax in a way that she most certainly does not need to be. I can handle my dogs and they are better for me than most people. DH is NOT allowed to handle the dogs. He babies them and lets them growl and carry on.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I always make sure my dogs are well behaved where ever we are. When we go to my vets office they are greeted with hello's and such but no one comes running over all goo goo and ga ga. I go to a very small private practice and my vet allows me to handle my dogs and advise of the best way to do what ever it is they have to do.
The tech is very nice, very young, quiet girl. I had Apache in for blood work and since his nails are so thick I wanted the vet to clip them. Well as my vet gets ready to take blood the tech proceeds to bear hug Apache's neck to hold him, he's 120lbs and she's probably not even close to that. I said to her "there's no need to do that, he'll be fine". So she backed off and he let the vet draw blood from his leg. When it was time for his nails, the tech again proceeds to bear hug him. Once again I told her there was no need to do that and he laid there and let the vet clip his nails.
Seriously why on earth would you want to bear hug a 120lb dog and have his face next to yours. I had to tell her that I really didn't think it was a good idea to restrain dogs like that. Maybe it's me but I am glad it won't be my dog to bite her in the face.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my dogs go NOWHERE without me present. Riley had to go to the vet one time for a pretty bad spot he'd chewed up on himself and immediately when we got called back, the tech snatched the leash out of my hand and DRAGGED him back through the exam room to the back without saying anything. You could hear him screaming and the techs were screaming. A different tech came back to get me to "muzzle my aggressive dog". Before that, we'd never had any issues at the vets office. My dogs are expected to behave themselves and they know that. After that, I will walk out of a vets office if they refuse to keep my dog in my sight. Surgery fine but absolutely everything else, I will be in the room with my dog or they will lose my business. My dogs know how they are supposed to behave but will act like fools if they think they can get away with it.

I dont need my dogs having another experience like Riley had. He used to love the vets office but after that incident, he has to be muzzled. Even after the saint bernard tore him up really badly, he still loved the vet. (just not saint bernards anymore lol).
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.