Question on my dogs size - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tug

Default Question on my dogs size

I took by 7 month old male to the vet today for a checkup and to discuss his recent change in eating habits. They weighed him at 85.6lbs (he is 26.5" tall) I understand that this is the top of the size chart for the breed standard. I mentioned that he doesnt want to eat much anymore even with trying different foods etc. She assured me more than once that he's done growing and wont get any bigger. I think her exact words were " he wont be a 100lb dog and probably wont see 90lbs. I may be wrong but wont he grow some more as hes only 7 months? Monster (my dog) is lean. She said shes always had shepherds and theyre very picky eaters and his decrease in appetite is normal for his age.?? Ive done alot of research about neutering and decided to wait till he's around a year and a half. She said 8-10 months as hes done growing. Is this correct? Input? thanks
Tug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Our dog's growth plates (which would determine his height) were closed by the time he was 9-10 mos., yes.
The growth plates are the things that don't close if neutered as a puppy. They close at "puberty" which, for a dog, is around 9-10 mos.
By the time he's a year they'll be closed for sure.

NOW. While they stop growing heightwise, they do tend to "fill out" more over the next year.
This has been my experience with our Shep pups anyway.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tug

Heres a fairly recent pic of Monster and 2 of my children while out getting a christmas tree.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Handsome!
Yes, he's probably about done growing "tall wise" but will continue to fill out over the next year or so.
You do not want a heavy dog anyway; it's hard on their joints! Lean is much better while they're growing as you know.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

what a great looking gsd. it has been my experience that dogss do not reach full height until aprox 1 year old and then fill out over the next year or so. i don't think a lean 90 to 100 lbs would not be out of the question for him, but all you can do wait and see. msvettetu and others would no more about the correct time to nuet/spay than i do.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

He's definitely got masculine features but a lot of that is hereditary and not necessarily due to testosterone - just as many young puppies display a "finer" or "stockier" build/head, it seems your guy has a naturally masculine head

His body looks puppy-like but only because he's young, that's not a bad thing.
He'll bulk up gradually, but again it has to be gradual, otherwise he could become fat.

Neutering - you'll hear a ton of different opinions - and honestly it's up to you and how confident you feel he won't be able to accidentally breed with any females.
Any time from here on out would be fine, I am sure, and that's my personal opinion on it as an owner and rescuer
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow he looks so much like my boy! Almost like a preview...very handsome dog you have there!
Attached Thumbnails
Question on my dogs size-barack4mth.jpg   Question on my dogs size-barack4longview.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tug

Thanks for the reply's. Ive done more research on the growth plates etc. and it does seem they close somewhere around 1 year give or take depending on genetics, neuterings etc. My male is 7 months and he definately needs to fill out more(as Im sure he will) He absolutely could use al least 10lbs and that is if he stopped growing now.I know its hard to tell from one picture as posted above. Did any of your male GSD just stop growing at 7 months in both size and weight?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

My 8 month GSD mix (Link) hasn't grown noticeably larger in the past month, but has gained a little weight. I don't anticipate him getting much larger, just to fill out as males do. His eating has slowed. I feed him Raw and he doesn't need as much as he use to, which I believe to be a sign of his being nearly full grown (or at least done with his rapid growth spurts).

Neutering is a very personal choice, but I wouldn't be concerned about the eating IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MattLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Raven grew until she was almost 1.5, maybe a little older. She's very tall for a female (26-27" I think but it's been a while since I checked) but only weights about 78lbs.

Kaiser and Holly were both done growing by a year but they are both small. Kaiser is only about 24" and 65-67lbs. Holly is smaller than that and struggles to be more than 55lbs but should be around 60lbs.

Your boy looks like he is a perfect weight. No need to add or lose any.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.