Question on my dogs size - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beautiful dog, and for 7 months, he's a big boy all right! Don't worry about his eating habits--he'll eat when he needs to. Don't spoil him by mixing stuff into his food to get him to eat. I've never known a healthy dog to starve himself when food is available!

Just be careful not to let him get fat. He looks good now, but remember that dogs need less food as adults than as growing pups--apparently, his growth spurt has already happened, so he shouldn't have too much more growing to do. That's probably why he's eating less.

I'll repeat: Don't let him get fat! It sounds like you want him to be a big dog and to bulk up. But make sure that bulk is strong bone, lean muscle, and very little fat. People sometimes get hung up on the weight of a dog; they want the dog to be as large as possible, so they can brag that their dog weighs 100+ pounds... but they don't realize that most of the weight is extra fat that is wearing down the dog's joints.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tug

Heres 2 more pics that show his little waist etc. I do understand about extra weight on his joints etc. and I will keep him lean. My last GSD male was 110lbs and lean but I got him when he was already 1.5 years. I just dont believe a 7 month old male GSD could be done growing.

Last edited by Tug; 12-23-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Tug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Monster is very handsome! My male grew til about 8 months then finally plateau'd. I weighed him every Tuesday just for my own stat records. When he was younger he gained about 3# per week(rawfed)
At 8 mos he was 82# and 27"...he didn't gain anymore height but now at 3.5 yrs is 90# and intact.
Here is is this Summer, you can see how lean he is:

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tug

Sounds just like me. I weighed the dog every thursday for my own records. So I guess he may be done growing. Your dog is also very nice looking! By the way nice shorts! We where laughing because I have the same ones
Tug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, the knee pads show do off the shorts nice!
Here is a link to more pics of Karlo at Greg's seminar.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Hey guys, sorry im new at this and have no idea how to post anything x), and i saw the title.. My girl is 5 months and weighs 15 kg. people find her quite small.. I know she stil has a lot to grow, but is her size normal? help? and how do i post anything lol
Lalaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

33# at 5 months is ok for a female...I'd rather have a smaller structured female~ as long as she's healthy and growing!
If you want to start a thread, go to the forum that relates to the subject and upper left side of the screen will have a box with the words new thread, click that and go!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Maya stopped growing in height at about age 2. She is filling out now and I was told GSDs are done growing at about age 3. She is now 2years 4 mo. And weighs about 70 lbs.
gotahaveaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland View Post
Hey guys, sorry im new at this and have no idea how to post anything x), and i saw the title.. My girl is 5 months and weighs 15 kg. people find her quite small.. I know she stil has a lot to grow, but is her size normal? help? and how do i post anything lol
If you go to Development & Socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums and check out the stickies up top, there's a ton of info and updates with growth charts.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.