Cedar dog house question - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My neighbors had a husky bitch on a chain. She was pretty much unprotected and not fixed. It was January when she had her puppies, 0 degrees - -5 or -10 degrees at night. They never brought that bitch in. She had some straw and an igloo dog house.

Strong winds caused the top part of the house to blow over the edge of the ravine in February. I banged on the door, they weren't home. I climbed down in the ravine to go after the dog house. The mud started to slide and I hung onto a tree so I wouldn't go into the river. I was there for over an hour, calling and making dogs bark. I heard the Amish fellow in his Timber, but my calls were not getting to him. But I kept getting the dogs to bark, and he came to the edge of the ravine, then went and got a rope. I was able to climb out. He retrieved the igloo dog house, and I put it over the puppies again.

All those puppies survived. Well, at about 4-6 months all but the one I took, vetted, and dropped at the shelter were killed in the road. One day two of them at once. I was so ticked. But no one cares when you live out in the boonies. Who ya going to call?

I use the PetMate pet barn large size. They are cheaper than igloos and not as warm I think. At this point, I haven't even gotten straw yet. Had I, they would have dragged it out of their houses. They are pretty warm critters. But puppies do not have the same insulation that adults have. All my puppies come in at night, or have indoor/outdoor runs. And, of course whelping and raising litters is done inside. I am still shocked that those pups survived. Straw is warm, and wolves and huskies do have their pups outside and are able to keep them warm, if they have a suitable den. That husky bitch used to lay on top of the igloo, probably to keep away from the warm puppies as they got bigger and greedier.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

demofficer i have the extra large indigo, plenty heavy, mine have never been moved around by the wind. they are insulated, but for me it is more too keep the dogs cool in the summer if i need them out of the house for awhile. i am sure they would be fine in the north jersey winters, but i keep dogs inside. i chose these about ten years ago, and they have held up well, as they are easy to keep clean and pest free.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help picked up a xl indigo at my petsmart these things are so much thicker and heavier than the other ones they had
demofficer1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.