Tennis balls and teeth - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Tennis balls and teeth

How many people use tennis balls to play with your dogs?

With Abby, my last dog, tennis balls were part of our daily routine. She didn't chew on them, just caught them, brought them back, repeat x 1000000.

When she was about 4 years old, I noticed that her teeth were getting flat and looking really close I could see something "brown" in the middle of her teeth.

Off to the vet, and he told me yeah, tennis balls are the worst thing for a dog's teeth. I was shocked and ticked ... why hadn't I heard about this before? Millions of people play with their dogs with tennis balls ...

So tennis balls got replaced with orange plastic "hockey" balls ... and Abby never knew the difference.

I don't have any pics of Abby's teeth ... but the link below is someone else's story (and picture) of tennis balls and her dog's teeth.

I thought of posting this here because I see so many dogs playing with tennis balls, and I cringe when I think of the damage I let happen to my last dog's teeth.

Prevention, prevention, prevention!

Just a warning for those that use tennis balls ... find something else!!!

TENNIS BALLS ARE BAD FOR TEETH!
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

i don't use tennis balls because of the dye on the cover and i think they're to small. i like rubber toys and nothing made in China.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

kyra was the walking definition of "ball drive". she also loved to chase and retrieve x 100.............. x a day. we used yellow tennis balls daily. never an issue with her teeth.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

We use lacrosse balls with Joey. He can't swallow them, and can't seem to destroy them either.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ossie and Anna both loved tennis balls. Ossie loved Frisbee's even more.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
kyra was the walking definition of "ball drive". she also loved to chase and retrieve x 100.............. x a day. we used yellow tennis balls daily. never an issue with her teeth.
I had a Springer Spaniel years ago, same thing, obsessed with them, but never had bad teeth
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I also noticed my last shepherds had flattened canines. I didn't realize (in time) that it was from tennis balls. Grim isn't allowed to have them. I got him a harder plastic ball that squeaks. OK for a puppy mouth, but it's about time to lose that one for size reasons. I'll be looking for other balls of a more appropriate size to replace with. If anyone can share links to appropriately sized balls that he can have, I'd appreciate it!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i don't use tennis balls because of the dye on the cover and i think they're to small. i like rubber toys and nothing made in China.
interesting thought about the dye although i never found yellow in her mouth, i wonder if it did to some of her old age maladies. hope not.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll add to the pile of people who DID have problems with "tennis ball teeth." Pimg's teeth are pretty flat on account of many years of tennis ball play.

Kyleigh- in case you didn't know, look at the packaging on tennis balls made specifically as dog toys. The packaging will (or won't) say "safe for teeth" or something to that affect.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

We obviously use them for flyball but I don't let dogs just wander around with them at home, and if I play fetch I use something else. I believe it does wear their teeth down and I can't stand the sound/feeling of the dogs rubbing their teeth on the texture of the tennis ball. I don't know what my deal is but certain things like that really bother me similar to how most people feel about fingernails on a chalk board. Dogs chewing a tennis ball is one of those things (using sandpaper is another).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.