German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Tennis balls and teeth (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/196633-tennis-balls-teeth.html)

Kyleigh 12-19-2012 08:26 AM

Tennis balls and teeth

How many people use tennis balls to play with your dogs?

With Abby, my last dog, tennis balls were part of our daily routine. She didn't chew on them, just caught them, brought them back, repeat x 1000000.

When she was about 4 years old, I noticed that her teeth were getting flat and looking really close I could see something "brown" in the middle of her teeth.

Off to the vet, and he told me yeah, tennis balls are the worst thing for a dog's teeth. I was shocked and ticked ... why hadn't I heard about this before? Millions of people play with their dogs with tennis balls ...

So tennis balls got replaced with orange plastic "hockey" balls ... and Abby never knew the difference.

I don't have any pics of Abby's teeth ... but the link below is someone else's story (and picture) of tennis balls and her dog's teeth.

I thought of posting this here because I see so many dogs playing with tennis balls, and I cringe when I think of the damage I let happen to my last dog's teeth.

Prevention, prevention, prevention!

Just a warning for those that use tennis balls ... find something else!!!

TENNIS BALLS ARE BAD FOR TEETH!

doggiedad 12-19-2012 10:16 AM

i don't use tennis balls because of the dye on the cover and i think they're to small. i like rubber toys and nothing made in China.

huntergreen 12-19-2012 10:21 AM

kyra was the walking definition of "ball drive". she also loved to chase and retrieve x 100.............. x a day. we used yellow tennis balls daily. never an issue with her teeth.

Cheerful1 12-19-2012 10:22 AM

We use lacrosse balls with Joey. He can't swallow them, and can't seem to destroy them either.

MichaelE 12-19-2012 03:41 PM

Ossie and Anna both loved tennis balls. Ossie loved Frisbee's even more.

msvette2u 12-19-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 2659113)
kyra was the walking definition of "ball drive". she also loved to chase and retrieve x 100.............. x a day. we used yellow tennis balls daily. never an issue with her teeth.

I had a Springer Spaniel years ago, same thing, obsessed with them, but never had bad teeth :shrug:

Jag 12-19-2012 03:54 PM

I also noticed my last shepherds had flattened canines. I didn't realize (in time) that it was from tennis balls. Grim isn't allowed to have them. I got him a harder plastic ball that squeaks. OK for a puppy mouth, but it's about time to lose that one for size reasons. I'll be looking for other balls of a more appropriate size to replace with. If anyone can share links to appropriately sized balls that he can have, I'd appreciate it! :)

huntergreen 12-19-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 2659108)
i don't use tennis balls because of the dye on the cover and i think they're to small. i like rubber toys and nothing made in China.

interesting thought about the dye although i never found yellow in her mouth, i wonder if it did to some of her old age maladies. hope not.

wildo 12-19-2012 03:57 PM

I'll add to the pile of people who DID have problems with "tennis ball teeth." Pimg's teeth are pretty flat on account of many years of tennis ball play.

Kyleigh- in case you didn't know, look at the packaging on tennis balls made specifically as dog toys. The packaging will (or won't) say "safe for teeth" or something to that affect.

Liesje 12-19-2012 04:00 PM

We obviously use them for flyball but I don't let dogs just wander around with them at home, and if I play fetch I use something else. I believe it does wear their teeth down and I can't stand the sound/feeling of the dogs rubbing their teeth on the texture of the tennis ball. I don't know what my deal is but certain things like that really bother me similar to how most people feel about fingernails on a chalk board. Dogs chewing a tennis ball is one of those things (using sandpaper is another).