stats: bad kids = bad dogs, by nation?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Default stats: bad kids = bad dogs, by nation??

was looking at some you tube vids and stumbled across a trainer called either roger johnson or john rogerson or something completely different?

his lecture stated that national statistics show that dog/dog agression and dog/human aggression is increasing at a rapid rate.

he also links the fact that countries with the most out of control kids is highly correlated to incidence of these types of dog aggression.

a coincidence??

a lot of euro countries, belgium and italy was singled out have had static "stats" (that doesn't work) ie no increase in dog attacks on other dogs or humans in 20 years!!!

i thought it was interesting correlation and that with all the advances in training the general standard of dogs is getting worse, more out of control and dangerous!!!

i have shortened things and have only posted my condensed recollection of the lecture, i have no doubt made errors on what the guy was saying.

as i cant remember the guys name i can't find the link. it is a seven minte YT clip.

i thought this was interesting anyways.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

He has probably got a point. I bet dog behavior and child behavior in a household is closely correlated.

I spend time playing with my children, I listen to them, talk to them, set them reasonable boundaries, I read to them, love them I am consistent with what I expect from them and the penalties they receive if they misbehave. I spent time researching pre-schools and take an interest in the learning they do there. I know that my children are my responsibility 100% Generally we have a happy, calm, loving household where everyone is shown respect and exercises self discipline.

As a result we have happy, healthy, well behaved (most of the time) kids.

We now have a dog and he is coming into a happy calm household. I will take time to play with him, train him, exercise him, I will be consistent with expectations and corrections/rewards. I have enrolled him in puppy training classes that we will all go to together and am reading and researching on here and elsewhere. He has been vaccinated has a good diet, fully insured and given all the vet care he needs.

I'm no expert but I think we stand a good chance of raising a nice dog.

Compare that to households where kids are shut in rooms all day in front of the TV to take care of themselves, they are ignored most of the time then shouted at sworn at and beaten inconsistently for misbehavior. etc etc - that will be the same household that chains a dog in the yard, riddled with worms and fleas, poorly fed, not trained, no time spent socializing the only form of disapline, shouting and physical violence.

You can guess what the kids and the dog will be like.
OffgridAlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
x11
Banned

yes that is the vid, i liked his two bucket comment, anyone know anything about the guys credentials?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Wow... what a leap! The increase in aggressive dogs is caused by people breeding dogs that are unqualified to breed. They're breeding for all the wrong reasons, and creating hoards of dogs with behavioral and health issues. This is the price of 'capitalism'. Kids being rude, etc. is bad parenting. Maybe they shouldn't be breeding, either. I totally fail to see the connection between the two. I can make unfounded connections between unrelated things, too... doesn't mean they're actually linked.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
x11
Banned

well the mayan calender ends soon and if the world ends at the same time would the two be related or coincidence....??

yep a big leap for sure, thats why i posted it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Wow... what a leap! The increase in aggressive dogs is caused by people breeding dogs that are unqualified to breed. They're breeding for all the wrong reasons, and creating hoards of dogs with behavioral and health issues. This is the price of 'capitalism'. Kids being rude, etc. is bad parenting. Maybe they shouldn't be breeding, either. I totally fail to see the connection between the two. I can make unfounded connections between unrelated things, too... doesn't mean they're actually linked.
You don't see any connection?

Dog behaviour is 100% genetic and Child behaviour is 100% conditioning then?

I think almost every dog has the potential to be good and almost every dog has the potential to be bad. The biggest influence has got to be training, socialization, care, attention and exercise.

I don't think it is any type of jump to say that people who take time to do the above properly are less likely to end up with an aggressive dog than people who do none of the above.
OffgridAlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
yes that is the vid, i liked his two bucket comment, anyone know anything about the guys credentials?
He has a good reputation in the UK

John Rogerson - World's Leading Dog Trainer/Behaviourist
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

There could definitely be a connection. If you raise a kid who doesn't respect you or other people, I'm sure your dog raising skills would be much the same. It makes sense. Very interesting to think about.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffgridAlex View Post
He has probably got a point. I bet dog behavior and child behavior in a household is closely correlated.

I spend time playing with my children, I listen to them, talk to them, set them reasonable boundaries, I read to them, love them I am consistent with what I expect from them and the penalties they receive if they misbehave. I spent time researching pre-schools and take an interest in the learning they do there. I know that my children are my responsibility 100% Generally we have a happy, calm, loving household where everyone is shown respect and exercises self discipline.

As a result we have happy, healthy, well behaved (most of the time) kids.

We now have a dog and he is coming into a happy calm household. I will take time to play with him, train him, exercise him, I will be consistent with expectations and corrections/rewards. I have enrolled him in puppy training classes that we will all go to together and am reading and researching on here and elsewhere. He has been vaccinated has a good diet, fully insured and given all the vet care he needs.

I'm no expert but I think we stand a good chance of raising a nice dog.

Compare that to households where kids are shut in rooms all day in front of the TV to take care of themselves, they are ignored most of the time then shouted at sworn at and beaten inconsistently for misbehavior. etc etc - that will be the same household that chains a dog in the yard, riddled with worms and fleas, poorly fed, not trained, no time spent socializing the only form of disapline, shouting and physical violence.

You can guess what the kids and the dog will be like.
Agree. We always had a calm, loving, communicative household and well behaved dogs. I expected and worked on (!!!) good behavior from the kids and dogs, species specific of course. But it takes work and commitment. The kids are grown, well adjusted adults and many sweet dogs have since passed to the Rainbow Bridge.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.