What Keeps You From Getting More Dogs? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

More is hard to refuse... but, financially we just couldn't do one more fairly. I could afford another dog, but not at the same level I do with my current 3. We train a lot, get lots of different equipment, feed expensive kibble, go to the vets right away whenever it's needed, the best medical care etc. I couldn't give that to a 4th dog.

Also, to be honest..... having all 3 dogs happy, exercised, healthy, training and general upkeep keeps me plenty busy! I would need more hours in my day to work my busy schedule around another dog.

I'm most certainly done for a while here!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

growing up there was only 1 gsd at a time. when i married we added a second gsd so the first would't be lonely while we were at work. we are a 4 dog house now which for me takes away some of the attention they should all get. as i near my retirement age, i am thinking we will be a one dog household.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Right now Lulu is to young for me to add another dog to the house. When shes about 2 and I have decided on what I will do with her (sport wise) then I will probably get a rescue. I wouldnt mind a calmer senior once shes a bit older but honestly... my breeder picked the perfect puppy for me.... I dont know that I could get that lucky a second time.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have two dogs now. 12 year old yellow lab and 8 week gsd. My reason for not wanting more? That many more landmines to pick up!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Thors_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My brain and evidently reasonable impulse control.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well in our county four is the legal limit lol but honestly I am so worn out with my four plus everything else I have that even if I could have more I wouldn't want another.

And with my golden having resource guarding issues I probably won't get anymore dogs until he is gone, it's hard enough trying to get play time in with Ollie and his toys and then remembering to keep them all picked up. We've had a pack of four(though the dogs that made up that four have changed a little) for a long time and I think after this I only want to have one or two. We like to go trips and things and its hard to decide who goes and who gets boarded(not to mention boarding is expensive!), it'd be nice to not to have to worry about that anymore.

Plus at the ripe old age of 30, my arthritis is slowing me down quite a bit and I doubt that's going to get any better.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I haven't got a second dog yet because I have yet to figure out how people with unaltered pets avoid either A. unwanted breeding or B. same sex aggression.

Until I figure out how to resolve this with out altering them or allowing my dogs becoming kennel bound, my boy is going to stay a single "fur baby".
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

I have one 7 month old dog and she is plenty for me, I have bad knees and walking my dog is a challenge for me, it wouldn't be fair to have more dogs if they couldn't be exercised and cared for properly. But I wish I had another dog for my girl to play with, someday!
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Once I get an house in an unincorporated area(no pet limits), then I would like to add 1 or 2 more dogs. I almost got a female golden retriever puppy over the weekend, but I remained level headed and walked away(slowly)...people were proud of me
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

My last dog, Abby, was such an amazing dog that I decided I would get a second dog. She was 5 years old when I started searching for Kyleigh. (Yes, I already knew her name LOL).

On July 6 2012 I brought Abby in to the vet to get titred. My regular vet wasn't there. The "substitute vet" vaccinated her instead. She died 24 hours later.

On July 7, 2012 the breeder called to tell me that she had 8 puppies ... 4 males and 4 females. She wanted to know when I'd like to bring Abby over to meet with some of the puppies to help "pick" my puppy. (Contrary to most people on here with their breeders, I was allowed to "pick" the puppy that I wanted!)

I lost it ... bawled my eyes out for a good 10 minutes. My breeder was AMAZING. She stayed on the phone with me for over an hour, just talking. I told her I wasn't sure if I wanted the puppy right now. She assured me that I had at least a month to determine whether or not I wanted Kyleigh.

End result of course is that I went up on the long weekend in August and came home with Kyleigh ... at 9 weeks.

Abby was the ONLY dog that I've ever had that I would have had a second dog with. She was simply an amazing dog - leader of other dogs, calm, confident, never lost her cool, teacher to puppies, she was phenomenal to watch interact with all dogs.

She loved my parrots, the ferrets that I used to have, and has always loved all of my cats. I was hoping she would pass that love on to Kyleigh ... didn't happen, not even vicariously LOL

Kyleigh has so much energy, drive and stamina that I wouldn't be able to have two dogs. With two parrots and a cat ... another dog would simply be too much.

I do so much with Kyleigh one-on-one that I don't think I would be able to give the second dog as much time as I give to Kyleigh.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.