How I came to name my dog....... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How I came to name my dog.......

How I came to name my dog (wifes dog).......a very long story to type, and I don't type fast, but here goes !!! Soon as I figure out where to start.......

Been married 22 years and in that time started out with a Great Dane for 9 1/2 years along with a Keeshond for 14, during the same time. They passed, we went 3 years dogless, then bought a Boxer, a PHENOMENAL Boxer !!! She had cancer and died at 6 years old. I said "no more dogs", it hurts too bad to bury a dog. The Boxer guarded our severely handicapped daughter, Micah, who was only given 2 days to live when she was born on 2000. We got the boxer when Micah was near 3 years old and again, she stayed by Micahs side. I think she sensed that Micah was handicapped, she couldn't walk or talk and more, but I'll stop there. Our precious Micah passed away at nearly 6 years old, tho' the Dr.'s only gave her 2 days to live when she was born. God gave her to us for nearly 6 years. After she passed, the boxer would go in her nursery at night and howl like a wolf, something she'd never done when Micah was alive, it was heartbreaking !!! So, when the boxer died of cancer 3 years ago I swore I would never have another dog. My wife wanted another dog right away, but I refused. So, the last 3 years we were without a dog. Then I silently, and to myself, started thinking about getting another boxer. But we both really liked GSD's, tho neither ever had 1. We are a fan of the new TV series "Person of Interest", and they have a Belgian Malinois on there.
Then, on November 7th, I stayed home from work and worked thru some issues. I decided I would go ahead and POSSIBLY look into getting the wife a dog, a Malinois. I prayed that morning and asked God to show me if I should get a Mal or not. What you are about to read is pure, 100 % truth, no fiction, no exaggeration ( ask my wife, I HATE people that exaggerate or stretch any part of a truth) it happened, it's Gods sense of humor and showing that He is ALWAYS in control.
After praying for guidance for a dog, I came downstairs and googled, "Belgian Malinois puppy buy" !
The very FIRST websight on the search was for a place named PSD Kennels in MS. I went to the "puppies for sale" page, clicked on the "Malinois puppies" for sale tab, and up came a litter of about 10 pups, all named, starting with the letter "D". There was 1 named David, my first name, how cute. Then I scrolled down to the next litter, a little younger bunch, and there was about 10 or so more, names starting with a "K", there was a Keith, which, you guessed it, that's my last name !!! WOW, that's pretty wild.
So I scrolled down to the next pic, which was a single pup, about 4 months old, all be her self and as I scrolled down to look at her name, I seriously yelled out loud, I don't remember what I yelled, I think it was, "Holy cow", a saying I use often, the little girls name was "MICAH" !!! Same as our only child that passed away !!!
She was almost thru with basic obedience training and after my wife and I talked about it thoroughly and prayed about it, we called and bought her 2 days later. We had her flown in on November30th and she took to my wife instantly, and I mean instantly !!!
Well, between the time we bought her and the time we got her, I told my wife, " You need to come up with another name, we can't call her by our daughters name, that would be too weird".
So, she wanted to name her Bat, the first thing she thought of the very first time she saw her pic on the internet that day. The pic I'll post below, which most have seen already probably. Days later, before "Bat" arrived, my wife was talking to an older couple in Ohio, where we're originally from, and they said to check the Hebrew meaning of the word Bat and make sure it's not going to be something bad or negative........well, my wife googled" Hebrew meaning of Bat" and as I'm sure some of you already know, but we didn't, the meaning of Bat in Hebrew is indeed, "daughter" !
Now, whether you believe in God or not doesn't matter 1 bit to me, you can call it all coincidence, but I know better. We saw so many miracles in Micahs short 6 years that we know for sure that the God we serve does perform miracles, and He has a sense of humor too !
Well, I teach high school at a very poor school and I didn't think "Bat" sounded very tough for a guard dog, so when my kids asked what we named her, I told them the story of her name, but that I think I'll call her Combat, which I do, 'till the wife tells me that's not her name, it's Bat !
Merry Christmas, and be blessed !
Attached Thumbnails
How I came to name my dog.......-micah910.jpg   How I came to name my dog.......-dscf1678.jpg  
theteacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What a nice story, very cool indeed.

although not as profound as your story, my dog and I both have a dog bite scar on the bridge of our noses just below the eye
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great testimony! I'm sending you a pm.
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

That's an amazing story! And your Bat is gorgeous.
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow... that is amazing! Thanks for sharing! Beautiful puppy you have there!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I believe! I totally believe.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious Micah. I have no doubt she had her lips to God's ear and played a part in sending Bat to you. Sounds like she has a sense of humor too.

Merry Christmas and God Bless!
Jan
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

teacher, i am very sorry to hear you lost your daughter. i hope "bat" brings you and your wife piece, comfort, joy and laughter for many years to come.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

God is great! I believe "bat" was god sent! I'm sorry about ur little angel....god works in mysterious ways....love the story. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Roxy714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

HOLY COW i have goosebumps right now... awesome story thank you so much for sharing. I wish my pups name had nearly that much meaning, I mean it means a lot to me but was really simple, i had the name before the dog, is that wrong?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.