Hey LEOs-- Being pulled over with GSD in car - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
wrong ! in drivers ed class, both my daughters were flat out told, if you see flashing lights behind you at night, put on emergency flashers, only pull over when you find a well lit area, call 911 and ask if it is a legitimate police officer that pulled them over. only then do you roll the window down more than the inch needed to pass the paper work through.
Yeah...cause I see people all the time with sirens and flashing lights all over their vehicles. Good luck rolling the window down the inch "needed to pass paperwork through." That would probably just get the officer to ask you to step out of the vehicle in order to make sure YOU don't have a weapon on you that you might be trying to hide.

I'd get your daughters out of that driver's ed class ASAP...you sure they're not telling them that we drive on the left side of the road in the United States?
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
None of my dogs have ever gotten me out of a ticket, despite their best efforts (barking or ignoring)!
Mine might have once. I was getting a ride home from the hospital where I volunteered with my Golden Retriever doing animal assisted therapy, I got a ride from another volunteer, when she accidentally ran a red light (thought the yellow would be longer and didn't slow down) and we got pulled over.
The officer came up to the car, the driver started apologizing profusely and she gave him her license. The officer looked at both of us, looked a little longer into the back seat where there was a red Golden Retriever and Pomeranian sitting quietly both wearing seatbelt harnesses, and let us go on our way.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Yeah...cause I see people all the time with sirens and flashing lights all over their vehicles. Good luck rolling the window down the inch "needed to pass paperwork through." That would probably just get the officer to ask you to step out of the vehicle in order to make sure YOU don't have a weapon on you that you might be trying to hide.

I'd get your daughters out of that driver's ed class ASAP...you sure they're not telling them that we drive on the left side of the road in the United States?
actually, that was the chief of police who gave that class. laws different up here in nj ?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #44 (permalink)

Depending on your state laws, if you dont pull over and you call 911 you COULD get a ticket for driving and operating a cell phone. if the cop wants to take it there. but everything else is SPOT on!! hazards until you find not only a safe spot for you to pull over but for the cop to get out of their vehicle (they hate when you pull onto a half shoulder) interiour lights on hands in view and be honest. keeping the other windows up is a great idea so the dog can not get to the officer. and as stated above voicing that the dog IS restrained will be helpful.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

it gets put in the paper here every couple years. there are often reports of someone having a small flashing light in their car and pulling people over. The sheriff announces that, if you have doubts, to call 911 and drive to a well-lit public location. And yes, put on your hazards to let the (hopefully real!) officer know that you have seen him.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post

This is very true, especially for women in secluded areas. A woman was just attacked in a rural area not that long ago by a man pretending to be a police officer. It was all over the news that this is exactly what a person should do.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 12-18-2012 at 07:31 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Just read this statement out loud to my boyfriend and he said this is not true in any way at all
Maybe where you are from, but its real here. Its been all over the news a couple times, mainly for the safety of women.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
wrong ! in drivers ed class, both my daughters were flat out told, if you see flashing lights behind you at night, put on emergency flashers, only pull over when you find a well lit area, call 911 and ask if it is a legitimate police officer that pulled them over. only then do you roll the window down more than the inch needed to pass the paper work through.
In the state of Texas, we are instructed to do the same thing. The object is to SAFELY pull over. If you are being pulled over and are suspect to who is pulling you over, you are to call 911. However, you MUST follow the instructions that are dictated to you by the 911 operator.

No different than if you are at home and think you hear someone creeping around. You call 911.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #49 (permalink)

I was also told years and years ago in driver's training that when in doubt call 911 to find out if it is a legit stop. We weren't told to do that for every stop, but if you were unsure if it was really a cop you shouldn't just pull over and hope you don't get murdered.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master Member

I have one of these stickers on my rear windshield. (Malinois, not GSD)
German Shepherd Silhouette Sticker by menageriemayhem
I hope it stops the LEOs from pulling me over. If they do, then they know I'm a dog person. Of course, the 2 huge crates in the back of my minivan are also a clue.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.