Hey LEOs-- Being pulled over with GSD in car - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
I don't think this would be a good idea. It is a crime to call 911 for something that is not an emergency, and this is not one. They also are not a message service and are not going to "relay your message" to the officer. We need to keep 911 lines free for true emergencies.
I was going to say this. It's not an emergency and those dispatchers need to be available for real emergencies.

I know we all like our dogs to be a bit protective, and no one is going to fault you for having a GSD that barks at approaching people, but at some point you should think more about training the dog to be quiet rather than thinking about what to do in case your dog is barking at a police officer.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

My dad got pulled over along time ago when I was little with Smokey in car unrestrained he was barking growling although his bark is not as vicious, but his growl and appearance is. The officer had my dad get out and sit in the back of his car with his gsd, told my dad not to make any sudden movements and just answer the questions. My dad was so scared when he came back to the car.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I was going to say this. It's not an emergency and those dispatchers need to be available for real emergencies.

I know we all like our dogs to be a bit protective, and no one is going to fault you for having a GSD that barks at approaching people, but at some point you should think more about training the dog to be quiet rather than thinking about what to do in case your dog is barking at a police officer.
Actually not a bad idea. Teach the dog ENOUGH!

Once upon a time, a couple of yayhoos, dropped a car in my neighbor's ditch. They took off the license plates, and walked on up the road. A car saw them and took them to the hospital. I found that all out the next day from my neighbor, who talked to the Amish neighbor who saw them picked up.

Anyhow, the State Boys, come along and saw the car in the ditch and stopped. My neighbors were not home. They went all around their house checking windows and doors. They came to my house. I answered the door and a chorus of barks greeted him from the majority of my dogs who were inside at the time.

He peered in, I did not invite him in. I let the dogs bark. I told him that no one would have gone through my back yard as the dogs weren't barking. He asked me if the neighbors were home, and I told them I didn't know. He seemed to hesitate. I don't know whether he thought I was hiding them in my house or not. But finally the dogs got on my nerves and I said, "ENOUGH!" My Lord, you could have heard a pin drop. The guy looked at me with like I was some sort of evil dog whisperer (can you say, R E S P E C T?). I did not let him know that I was shocked that it actually worked and was still working. He didn't need to know that.

He left and checked out the doors and windows of my other neighbor's place. He didn't check mine. I guess he figured I had enough protection.

But, if you have just one dog, you should be able to train them to cut out that racket when you say a word like ENOUGH! I mean, yes, they are guard dogs, and you do want them to alert. But a guard dog is worthless if it alerts all the time, and about anything and nothing. You tune that crap out. Rather, you listen for a business bark, or at least I do. A dog should not bark without ceasing, I will tell mine THANK YOU, when they let me know someone is at the door. If they continue, I will tell them ENOUGH. That lets them know that I know who it is, and it is ok.

Oh, heck, I don't know what the heck they understand about it, but they seem to realize by the tone of my voice that whatever they were doing has to stop, NOW.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillint1 View Post
My dad got pulled over along time ago when I was little with Smokey in car unrestrained he was barking growling although his bark is not as vicious, but his growl and appearance is. The officer had my dad get out and sit in the back of his car with his gsd, told my dad not to make any sudden movements and just answer the questions. My dad was so scared when he came back to the car.
Oh my gosh!! That was just plain mean! LOL.
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite Member

Mine rides in the back in a crate , one less distraction to worry about while driving.

Mark.o
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree with what most have said. I would suggest pulling over immediatly to avoid any sort of confusion. When the officer approaches you can ask him if its ok for you to step out of the car. If its restrained he should be alright because the officer shouldnt be reaching in the window for your items he should have you hand them out the window to him
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would roll up the window where the dog is, put my hands on the steering wheel and wait for instructions. I have never heard my GSD bark while she is in the car. I take her to drive thru's and to get gas all the time. I have also had her meet several police officers in different places and she always has a good reaction(although they might think I'm a little weird). The reasoning behind this wasn't so much getting pulled over, but in case police have to enter my home. The uniform and radio did not phase her, which I'm very happy with. I'm confident that she would remain calm. Now my other two are a little different
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
I don't think this would be a good idea. It is a crime to call 911 for something that is not an emergency, and this is not one. They also are not a message service and are not going to "relay your message" to the officer. We need to keep 911 lines free for true emergencies.
wrong ! in drivers ed class, both my daughters were flat out told, if you see flashing lights behind you at night, put on emergency flashers, only pull over when you find a well lit area, call 911 and ask if it is a legitimate police officer that pulled them over. only then do you roll the window down more than the inch needed to pass the paper work through.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If there are people impersonating cops and you are afraid for your life, maybe that would be sufficient reason to call 9-1-1. Thinking a cop might shoot your dog in the back seat really isn't something you should call 9-1-1 about. But if you need to call 9-1-1 due to some type of emergency, I would definitely let them know you have a dog in the car that is restrained. And if possible/necessary tell them who to contact to take charge of the animal.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
wrong ! in drivers ed class, both my daughters were flat out told, if you see flashing lights behind you at night, put on emergency flashers, only pull over when you find a well lit area, call 911 and ask if it is a legitimate police officer that pulled them over. only then do you roll the window down more than the inch needed to pass the paper work through.

Just read this statement out loud to my boyfriend and he said this is not true in any way at all
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.