Dog walking etiquette - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Dog walking etiquette

I feel frustrated and upset. Rocco likes to pee and poop when I walk him. I always keep him off people's actual yard. I allow him to go on the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street. When he poops, I always pick up his poop (I carry doggy poop bags). But when he pees, usually more like "marking", there is nothing I can do (I can't pick it up). So, I thought I was doing everything right. This morning, my neighbor yelled at me because Rocco peed on the palm tree that is in the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street. Now, I feel like I have to cross the street everytime I walk him so that he won't go in front of her house. Am I doing something wrong by allowing him to pee? I can't stop him from peeing or pooping if he needs to...
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

No, you're not doing anything wrong by letting him pee. The only time I try to prevent my dogs from peeing is if it's on like a white fence or a statue or something--and even then, I think it's sort of expected by reasonable people that if you've got something on the edge of your yard, dogs might pee on it. Your neighbor might also have a point if you had your dog on a long leash or off leash and were letting him pee way up by the house, but a tree by the sidewalk is fair game.

I think your neighbor sounds like a nut. I might cross the street anyway just to not have to deal with drama, but I don't think you should feel guilty for your dog peeing on a tree.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is my personal opinion. My dogs relieves themselves in our yard so they don't need walks for that purpose. I don't allow the males to mark when they are on leash.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

in most places that i am aware of, that grass and tree belongs to the town, not the owner of the house. i wouldn't change a thing.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I actually agree with you WD, my dogs generally don't relieve themselves on walks unless we're out for a really long time, and I don't like marking when we're walking. But I also don't think it's wrong to let your dogs relieve themselves in people's yards (unless you don't pick up the poop!), and for some people that's really the only option--those without fences who prefer to walk their dogs, or people in apartments, etc. Having the occasional dog pee on your tree is just part of home ownership.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Personally, I don't like seeing male dogs mark every single post, etc. on a walk. There are a LOT of dogs in my neighbourhood, and there's about 15 telephone posts that freaking REEK in the summer time (when the humidity comes full force) ... and they reek of dog pee.

It's up to the owner of the dog as to where they are going to let their dog (NOT PUPPY) pee.

I've NEVER let Ky pee in the middle of the sidewalk. I think it's gross ... I wouldn't want to walk through, why should I expect a stranger to walk through it?

When she was a puppy we kept to parks, grassy areas or the backyard ... and yes, I always pick up her poop too.

To the OP ... your neighbour's not really being very "friendly" about it. I don't like it, but I certainly wouldn't walk up to someone and tell them that their dog shouldn't be peeing there. And I'm not a shy person, and WOULD walk up to someone if their dog pooped and they had no intention of picking it up!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

If every dog that walks by pees on a bush, which is not uncommon, it could kill it. I have seen it happen in my neighborhood, so I keep my dogs away from shrubs. Now trees, I think they are hardier, with one exception, Arborvitea. My own Arborvitea have suffered from the boys peeing on it. So I try to curtail "pee-mail" from my dogs during walks.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You absolutely can keep him from peeing/pooping. Should you have to - well, that could be an entirely different debate.

Personally speaking, I am NOT interested in lugging home bags of poop and I know my dogs routines, so I put them out in the backyard to poop if it's their normal poop time, then walk.

Technically, here, the grassy area between the sidewalk and streets does belong to the city. But people maintain it like it's their own, so I would respect it as their own property unless you want bad neighbor relations (which you don't). So in this case, I would give the dog a little pop on the leash to keep moving while in front of that house, and continue on to the next one.

I have two males and both would mark regularly if given the opportunity, but don't mark unless I let them stop and sniff. I definitely don't let them pee on nice flowers, bushes, mailboxes, etc. I wouldn't have worried about a tree either, as in your case, but clearly the homeowner is concerned about the tree for whatever reason. So make your life and hers less stress free, and don't let your dog pee on her property.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree with what you're doing, though maybe let him mark once or twice and then stop it. I allow Nikon to mark until he's had the chance to "go" but not just keep marking after that. My dogs walk on the sidewalk and if they have to potty, they go on the grass by the street. I don't let them walk on lawns.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

OK. I feel a bit better now. I have to walk Rocco. We have a yard but it is not enough outlet for him. It's not like a big piece of land. If I had that, I wouldn't walk him either. Now, I know that I am courteous. I don't allow him on others "actual" yard and I pick up his poop. I also don't allow him to mark cement or mailboxes. And, the area is public. But, like you said, Rerun, some people maintain it as their own. I'm fine with that. I understand if they wouldn't like it and I can respect that. I just got upset at "how" she expressed it. She's always been nice and friendly to me; and this morning she was a real b****. I guess I'll just cross the street from now on.
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.