Dog walking etiquette - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member

So having nothing to do on my second last day of work ... I googled dogs peeing on trees and found this article

It's a bit long, but quite interesting!!!!
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I normally take the dogs the same route every day so I definately don't want to piss anyone off. Even though they go potty in the yard for some reason Lakota likes to poop on our ride, I always pick up. As far as pee Apache & Lakota aren't as bad as Kiya. Kiya likes to sniff every where. While we are passing peoples property I keep her moving, I only let them sniff & pee in certain areas mostly wooded places, telephone poles or fire hydrants, not in front of peoples houses. Lots of people walk thier dogs around so I guess the smells are irrestistable at times.
Just avoid letting your dog stop by this persons house.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In established cities...that little area is usually "public" and so LEGALLY you can let your dog do whatever it wants there. But should we really choose our interactions with other people based on how the law would perceive it? In some less established suburbs, or brand new subdivisions that area is sometimes part of the person's property. When the city builds a curb or a sidewalk on that land they actually charge the property owner and its usually worth it because it increases the value of the house by increasing the value of the neighborhood. In some of those places the city will then also be in charge of fixing the sidewalk and the curb along the property, they will also charge the homeowner for those services (if they are done) and that is tax deductible as part of property tax.

So depending on where you live it actually might be that person's property. I wouldn't like it if someone was allowing their dog to do that on my property...like it was mentioned, some dogs kill the grass and there is nothing you can do about it except catch it in the act and then dump a whole bunch of water on that spot to dilute it. Keep your neighbor happy and don't allow your dog to do anything in that area, its not worth pissing him off over your dog being able to urinate on a tree 20 feet away from that one.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The strip of grass and the tree between the sidewalk and the street are part of our property, so ownership can vary from city to city and maybe even neighborhood to neighborhood.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got about half way through the article on dog urine, and was kind of offended by the use of slang in it.

Without any training, Cujo never pottied on walks. He always went in his area in the back yard. It was just his thing.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bird crap is pretty destructive to the paint jobs on cars. But I don't suppose birds poo and squirrel poo damages trees.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
The strip of grass and the tree between the sidewalk and the street are part of our property, so ownership can vary from city to city and maybe even neighborhood to neighborhood.
Sheilah
never heard of this, nor have been to idaho. in some places in jersey, towns put up street signs to remind people to clean up after their dog in these "sidewalk grass areas".
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
never heard of this, nor have been to idaho. in some places in jersey, towns put up street signs to remind people to clean up after their dog in these "sidewalk grass areas".
It happens when you buy a plot of land, in a subdivision, and that plot usually runs right up to the street. So before the subdivision is developed you own all that land, once its developed the city may decide that its important to build sidewalks there because people walk through the area to get other places. So the sidewalk ends up being on your property, and the grassy area on the other side of it is also yours.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
In the state of Texas, in Brazoria county...I own the property all the way to the street. I pay taxes on said property. However, I have to allow the state access to a specific amount of feet from the street onto my property. They are allowed to do what ever they deem necessary on said property to perform specific duties; i.e. road improvements, drainage improvements, place signage etc.

Because of drainage concerns, the county will come and mow / clear the ditches, like twice a year. If those ditches weren't cleaned and maintained by the home owner, it would look like a jungle / dump before the county came to mow.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The area I live in doesn't have sidewalks, techically I do not own the first 15 or 20 feet off the road. So if for some reason they decided to widen the road & put sidewalks in I loose that property.
Dog urine definately kills trees. When I had my Dobbie, he killed a tree in my x-mother-in-laws backyard, we lived in her basement and every day he pee'd on that tree, it died.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.