Dog walking etiquette - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith3 View Post
If I am out on a walk with my dog - I usually try to get it to go before we start walking. We don't stop long enough for any marking to occur.

But, if we are walking on a sidewalk and she is on a 6' leash (of which she has little slack) and she goes, so be it. I'll pickup the poop and of course - ignore the pee. If she #1's or #2's on the 1'-2' space around a sidewalk - hey guess what IT HAPPENS.

"Rude" to allow it, please. That is crazy talk.
I don't believe anybody is saying that it's rude to allow your dog to potty on public property (the space between the sidewalk and the road).

Allowing your dog to go on someone else's personal property is rude. I suppose I'm just plain crazy that way. Maybe because I'm from down south where 'it happens' doesn't excuse rudeness.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I live in the country. We have a ditch. Motorists who live in residential areas, roll their windows down and shove their fast food wrappers and cans out their windows into my ditch. It sucks. Because I have to mow the ditch and clean up that crap. They would never do that in their villages.

I drive my dogs to the village to walk them. I pick up poop. But I don't feel any qualms about letting them pee anywhere they want. And if the poop in someone's yard, I pick it up, but I really don't worry too much about the fact that they did poop in the yard. There are a lot of things pooping that no one cleans up. The fact that a dog did, and its person picked it up, is not the end of the world.

I would have taken the comment as hostile. And I might have told the person to get a life. As for the dad who swore at the little girl, well, what a big hero he is. I wonder if he would have done the same if the pit bull owner was a young man, maybe a black man, I wonder if he would have been as quick off his couch and as free with his tongue.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The exact same situation that the OP went thru, happened to me. And I did avoid that house after that. I have always picked up after my dog and do potty him first in the backyard but sometimes it happens. I can understand how the OP feels as the lady also hollered even before my dog was done and I did have the bag in my hand. I did nicely tell that I was going to pick it up but she was on a rant. After I finished the cleanup, and she was still going on, I did quietly remind her that I was obeying the city ordinance. I don't mind if people's dogs go in my front yard (the back is fenced) as long as they pick it up. If I see someone who doesn't, like the other day I was driving by the park and a lady had let her lab poop and she was walking away. Well, I stopped and she came over ( it helped my dog was in the back seat) and handed her a mutt mitt - saying "oh, I see you need one" and told her are much better they work than plastic grocery bags. She thanked me and did go back and pick it up.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Knighted Member

op= just wondering if some else walked there dog there and didn't clean up, you may have been the one she saw and figured it was you that didn't clean up. just a possible scenario.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

don't walk him pass your neighbors house. make him heel
untill he's in an area where he go freely. let him go in your
yard then walk him.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #36 (permalink)

I walk dogs all day, every day, in LOTS of types of neighborhoods. Although most times these dogs are on a routine of eliminating in the beginning of each walk (of those who do go), that does not mean we don't have "accidents" along the way. I usually walk pretty fast & don't allow alot of sniffing. I always carry many bags & watch for "the signs". In all cases we try to make it to a "neutral" area. When I take a new dog out, I map out several good potty areas along the way. Eventually I have a potty place nearby if a dog gives me "the sign". There are accidents, however I try to keep most potty times where I prefer them to happen. All of this is done because I want the neighbors to feel I respect their property & show it by being responsible.
k9carrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Mary Beth - I also use the Mutt Mitt! I love them. Super sturdy and easy clean up.

Hunter green - there are several dog owners that walk their dogs and never clean up. I see dog poop everywhere when I walk Rocco. But my neighbor was upset with Rocco peeing on her palm trees. The other dog owners don't pass in front of her house. It is kind of out of the way for them. I live on the corner of a two busy streets and her house is right next to mine going into the neighborhood.

Doggie dad - I always try to make him go in our back yard first. But he likes to mark and sometimes he has to poop a second time. I just have to limit the marking I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina03 View Post
Mary Beth - I also use the Mutt Mitt! I love them. Super sturdy and easy clean up.

Hunter green - there are several dog owners that walk their dogs and never clean up. I see dog poop everywhere when I walk Rocco. But my neighbor was upset with Rocco peeing on her palm trees. The other dog owners don't pass in front of her house. It is kind of out of the way for them. I live on the corner of a two busy streets and her house is right next to mine going into the neighborhood.

Doggie dad - I always try to make him go in our back yard first. But he likes to mark and sometimes he has to poop a second time. I just have to limit the marking I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
well then, she is just a *****, i would just ignore her, and still wouldn't cross the street to avoid her.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

I personally don't feel comfortable with my dog peeing/pooping on anybody's property or even in dog park it maybe a bit extreme but I always let her out in backyard to do her business before I take her on a walk I just feel like its messed up when the front yard becomes a regular peeing spot for dogs even if its technically not their property. It's disgusting and I think it's also rude.My senior neighbor lives on fixed income and he just put new grass in his front yard it cost him over $1000.. after a few weeks he noticed yellow spots on his grass from dogs peeing on it. he has a dog himself but he is trained to pee kn designated area in backyard... the yellow dry grass is still there and its not even his fault.. so thats another reason i think people should control where their dogs pee...It's much harder when you have a male dog that's one of the reasons I chose a female dog. But that's just me... Other people don't care..

Last edited by julie87; 12-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #40 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
I personally don't feel comfortable with my dog peeing/pooping on anybody's property or even in dog park it maybe a bit extreme but I always let her out in backyard to do her business before I take her on a walk I just feel like its messed up when the front yard becomes a regular peeing spot for dogs even if its technically not their property. It's disgusting and I think it's also rude.My senior neighbor lives on fixed income and he just put new grass in his front yard it cost him over $1000.. after a few weeks he noticed yellow spots on his grass from dogs peeing on it. he has a dog himself but he is trained to pee kn designated area in backyard... the yellow dry grass is still there and its not even his fault.. so thats another reason i think people should control where their dogs pee...It's much harder when you have a male dog that's one of the reasons I chose a female dog. But that's just me... Other people don't care..

the op is not referring to the front of some ones lawn but but the far side of the sidewalk grass. belongs to the town not the homeowner and she does clean the dogs poop. some may even argue that is what this space is for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.