Does anyone here have a GSD that's not "acceptable" color wise? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Does anyone here have a GSD that's not "acceptable" color wise?

I was looking for breeders in my area and came across a breeder that dedicates their breeding to "brindle" and "blue" GSD's.
They only breed to produce brindle or blue or blue brindle pups, with the hopes of adding a "liver" colored bitch to their program soon.

I've heard of "liver" colored GSD's, and obviously white and "panda" shepherds, and assume "blue" shepherds are following along the same path?

I wasn't particularly impressed with the weak looking dogs on display on their website, and saw money signs coming before correctness of the dogs.... and to be willingly and knowingly breeding dogs that don't conform to the standard, just seems unethical to me.

I guess I think people who prefer the unacceptable colors or patterns, have their reasons. And to love a dog shouldn't be based solely on it's appearance. It's one thing to adopt an incorrect dog, have it altered so as it can't reproduce and love it for it's life, but to spend THAT kind of money on an incorrect dog, with full registration and breeding rights is beyond my comprehension.
mehpenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, first, there is no such thing as a "brindle" GSD. Brindle was bred out of the breed many decades ago.

There are some people on here with blue GSDs and they are beautiful. One in CA that was from a reputable breeder that threw blues on a first litter from a pair.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Well, first, there is no such thing as a "brindle" GSD. Brindle was bred out of the breed many decades ago.

There are some people on here with blue GSDs and they are beautiful. One in CA that was from a reputable breeder that threw blues on a first litter from a pair.
When I hear "brindle" I think Dutch Shepherds.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I have a liver GSD. I got her when she was 4 years old. I don't care if the AKC or any other organizations says her nose is the wrong color. She is a beautiful girl and I couldn't love her any more than I do. From what I understand it is a recessive gene. Rusti didn't come from a breeder who intentionally breeds livers and blues but I do have a friend that does that and that is her choice. She is definitely not in it for the money. Other breeders may be in it for the money but there are breeders who breed black and tans that are just in it for the money so I don't see any difference.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know the 'off' colors do appeal to many people - but those are not people who GENERALLY understand the breed and respect the fact that a standard defines a breed. LOL I think the solid blue dogs I have seen photos of are absolutely beautiful!!! But I would not breed one just because I think it is striking! A friend has a rescue blue Weim, came from an Amish puppy mill and had escaped onto a highway....gorgeous color, IMO much prettier than the taupe colored weims....but the dog is fraught with health and temperament problems because it was bred by a breeder for color without any other criteria or testing.....

So breeding for color against standard....???? Not done by responsible breeders - if it crops up, well a good home should/would be a goal for the pup just like it's littermates....but not a breeding home.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't know if this counts but I have a black/silver. Which I'm almost positive isn't "acceptable." I don't think mine was bred for thus particular. There were black/tan puppies in the litter too. He's not registered nor has a pedigree. He's a beautiful dog and I live him more than anything.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

GSDs don't hold the market for being bred for colors.
The AKC Dachshund people will tell you that you have to show reds or black/tans or you have little to no chance of winning any conformation shows.

But dapples are bred constantly and bred together to get that oh so lovely double dapple coloration.
I don't think there's a breed out there not being tainted by being bred for color alone, which is why poor temperaments are cropping up where none existed. If not for color (as in Golden retrievers for instance) just breeding "because we can" and to earn a bit of Christmas money murders the rest of the breeds.

As Lee said -
Quote:
those are not people who GENERALLY understand the breed and respect the fact that a standard defines a breed.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

if i found the right dog from a reputable breeder with an off color, i wouldn't let that be a deal breaker, but i have no plans to breed.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Man decided that the colors were not acceptable-not nature. Black and silver is often see among the American bloodlines-my boy although regristered as blk & silver varied between Gold or Cream depending on the season and those colors were very intense-certainly didn't affect his ability to work or provide companionship.
deldridge72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

My white (cream) GSD is not "acceptable". If I was blind I guarantee I wouldn't be able to determine the difference between her and an "acceptable" color. She works just as hard to please me and demonstrates her intelligence on a daily basis. So I still don't understand why certain colors are shunned.
runnershigh108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.