Wire crate hazard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Wire crate hazard

Nala made me aware of something today...
I have a steel wire crate I have used for a couple years now. I never had a problem with it.
I got robbed last night...they stole everything. I lost my car keys, my cell phone, my gps outta my car. Why they didnt just drive away in my car... no idea.
I had a locksmith coming over to change all my locks and rekey my car, so I crated the dogs. (and spent every dime I had saved for christmas )
a few minutes later I hear Nala screaming. Literally screaming. I go to see what is going on. She had managed to get upside down, with her head flat on the floor of the crate, and her lower jaw wedged in between the bars below the door. She's screaming and bleeding. After trying to free her by hand, I went to get a hammer to try to seperate the bars...didn't work. Went looking for some large pliers to maybe stick in and pry the bars apart. Didn't work either. (shes still laying there whimpering, upside down). I finally got a wood board, and managed to stomp on it enough to loosen the bars and free her. It never even occured to me something like this could happen... she is not hurt bad, just looks like she bit her tongue a bit, and maybe loosened some teeth... I don;t find any lacerations or injuries.
They do the darndest things..... guess I will get a plastic crate ASAP...wich may be a little while, now that a thief has cost me all my Christmas money, and then some. When it rains it pours I guess. I think Karma got it backwards on me.... I've been really good....WHY??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OMG! How horrible, poor doggie, poor you! I think these things happen to make us realize what is most important - money for x-mas is not so important, being home and able to free your doggie and that (specifically) happening when you were at home - that is Karma
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Poor dog! Glad you were able to act fast (or as fast as you could) and free her. I've heard of feet and toes getting stuck during loading or unloading but this is the first I've heard of the dog chewing the bars and getting stuck, though I can very easily picture it. Scary!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

A couple of years ago, there was the death of a dog in wire crate due to pushing the wire apart where the front hooks to the sides, the dog got its head stuck trying to push out and suffocated itself because it closed over its neck. I have known dogs that have done with the OP stated, only broke their jaws.
I won't use wire crates for that reason, I use the airline metal crates. Not much chance of them chewing out or pushing things open or getting jaws caught in the wires.
wyominggrandma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow I'm very sorry to hear the tough times you're having.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've seen jaws trapped in a dog run made with welded wire mesh. The truth is when it comes to hurt themselves, dogs are impressively imaginative.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes, I'm glad I was here... and I won't EVER put her in that crate again. It was really terrifying... I was afraid she was going to panic and hurt herself more while I was looking for tools to free her. I just couldn't get her out by hand... we have bonded enormously, and she seemed to really trust me when I told her it was going to be OK. She doesn't leave my side much, and had a fit when I went in the shower this morning and closed the door (cause last time she jumped in with me...LOL!)...which is where the seperation anxiety that led her to do this came in I'm sure. She has been crated regularly, I did a shut down on her when she came home, but she has been out more lately... and HATES when I leave, and just freaked when I put her in the crate today I guess. I left a couple days ago, with people here to watch her... company... and she still had a total meltdown when I left. I had to come back and crate her... She wouldn't stop trying to get out to me.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catu View Post
I've seen jaws trapped in a dog run made with welded wire mesh. The truth is when it comes to hurt themselves, dogs are impressively imaginative.
Yes they are... I never woulda thought it....
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If she is having serious SA, you may want to try melatonin or ashwandha
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
If she is having serious SA, you may want to try melatonin or ashwandha
Where can I get more info? I have melatonin here I use when I can't sleep... I would like to learn more to help her relax, I totally adore this dog. Her and Axel get along perfectly. I've also heard benadryl to relax them... guess I need to do more research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.