Wire crate hazard - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I used to work in a vet hospital that also had boarding and we had quite a few dogs get their jaws stuck on the front door of their cages..it is definitely super scary. Glad your dog only experienced minor injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
That it is! I've been around dogs forever, and never saw anything like this. Dog upside down, bleeding, stuck... its like oh my god...how the...what to do... Axel just standing there staring, like "what were you thinking..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Many years ago there was a story going around about somebody's puppy who was killed by a Walmart crate. It had managed to wedge it's body in the same place your dog got stuck and suffocated to death. I don't see any information on it, but I wonder if you crate was made by the same people.

Happily, my dogs don't try to escape from their crates, they use them as their safe place. But I'm glad your dog is okay. If you weren't around, it might have been worse.

All my crates are Midwest brand. The ones in my car are heavy duty wire SUV crates. They are only 24" wide, but my dogs snuggle in the corner anyway.

Last edited by FlyAway; 12-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.
FlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
Many years ago there was a story going around about somebody's puppy who was killed by a Walmart crate. It had managed to wedge it's body in the same place your dog got stuck and suffocated to death. I don't see any information on it, but I wonder if you crate was made by the same people.

Happily, my dogs don't try to escape from their crates, they use them as their safe place. But I'm glad your dog is okay. If you weren't around, it might have been worse.

All my crates are Midwest brand. The ones in my car are heavy duty wire SUV crates. They are only 24" wide, but my dogs snuggle in the corner anyway.
The way this happened was not a situation a BODY could have got stuck. She had rolled on her back, and grabbed the bars apparently with her teeth, trying to pull them so she could get out. She didn't push a panel out, she was pulling with her mouth, and her lower jaw got stuck in between the bars. She was flat on her back, face stuck on the ground, screaming. She calmed when I started helping her... I bought this crate off my son, who was using it for a Chihuahua mix a couple years ago... I have no idea who made it or what brand it is. Axel has used it, I had an "airline" crate, but my dumbutt tossed it outta the pickup a while back and the corner shattered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.