Photos of 48hr test on Rawhide Swelling? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Photos of 48hr test on Rawhide Swelling?

After a recent post about rawhides, I got to wondering just how bad do these things really swell up?

The photos are of the scrap piece of Rawhide Bone that I soaked for 48 hours.
(I know that some of you have other reasons that they're not pro rawhides...)

Before:

After:
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kinda hard to see without some reference point for sizing. Looks like it didn't really swell much, did it?

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree ... can you put a ruler there or something? I'm not an advocate for rawhides ... so if we want to show WHY not to use them ... we need "scientific" evidence (lol)
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

You're right and I thought of that later that I should have put down a coin or something.
It swelled about 2/10s maybe more than it was? Really minimal. Personally my biggest concern is choking.

Also some will argue that I was not able to duplicate the stomach acids and temps? But for what it is... I think the photos still show there is little change.
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17

Last edited by Maggies Dad; 12-11-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I don't know that it's the swelling that is the issue, but the size of the pieces that can be torn off and swallowed: ASPCA | Position Statement on Dog Chews/Treats this is odd, but states that.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It isn't so much the swelling, it is the blockages that rawhide can cause. It doesn't digest easily so may stay in the gut or digestive tract causing blockages. Though small bits aren't going to do that...it is if the dog ingests a large amount all at once.
The other risk about rawhide is how it is 'processed' if chemicals are used, that isn't something I'd want my dogs to eat.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
It isn't so much the swelling, it is the blockages that rawhide can cause. It doesn't digest easily so may stay in the gut or digestive tract causing blockages. Though small bits aren't going to do that...it is if the dog ingests a large amount all at once.
The other risk about rawhide is how it is 'processed' if chemicals are used, that isn't something I'd want my dogs to eat.
Agree
But I could only address the one concern of swelling that was brought up.
As far as digestion goes I'm not happy that Maggie can eat an entire bone in one sitting so we've started monitoring and controlling that. I would guess an entire Soup bone sitting in there stomach would not be the best thing for them either.

Chemicals I wouldn't know what to tell you other than anything and everything make in China should not be brought into the house with pets, children or seniors living in it?

Last edited by Maggies Dad; 12-11-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Of course nothing is safe but more info on rawhides: The Dangers of Rawhide Dog Chew Toys | The Bark
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it's a great test, BTW. I see written on these boards concern for swelling just as much as chocking/blockage. Awesome of you to test it out!

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Of course nothing is safe but more info on rawhides: The Dangers of Rawhide Dog Chew Toys | The Bark
True nothing is safe

Rawhide Dog Chews: Myths & Facts
"So many facts and so-called facts regarding rawhide are debated, that clients don’t know what to think. We thought it would be helpful to clear some of these up for you.

Is rawhide safe?
A major US medical school once conducted a laboratory test to answer this question. The results showed that in groups of test dogs, even in those fed rawhide three times a day, there were no ill effects.
Dogs will swallow pieces of rawhide, and these will pass easily through the digestive tract. Although choking or intestinal obstruction with rawhide is very rare, it could potentially occur and common-sense prevention measures should be taken...."

WebMD
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/rawhide-g...d-for-your-dog
3. Are there risks associated with rawhide dog treats?
Given the amount of rawhide consumed by dogs each year, the risks are relatively small. Still, risks can be serious, so don’t ignore them. Weigh the risks and benefits of giving rawhides based upon your dog's chewing needs and behaviors.

These are the most common rawhide risks:
  • Contamination. As with pet toys, rawhide chews can contain trace amounts of toxic chemicals. And, as with other pet (or human) foods, Salmonella or E. coli contamination is possible. Even humans can be at risk when coming into contact with these bacteria on rawhide treats.
  • Digestive irritation. Some dogs are simply sensitive or allergic to rawhide or other substances used in their manufacture. This can cause problems, including diarrhea.
  • Choking or blockages. Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk. In fact, this is a much bigger risk than contamination or digestive irritation. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, the rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract. Depending on its size and where it is located, a vet may be able to remove these pieces fairly easily through the throat. But sometimes, abdominal surgery is needed to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If it isn’t resolved, a blockage can lead to death.

Last edited by Maggies Dad; 12-11-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.