Poor old dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Poor old dog

I'm not sure where to post this, could go in "preparing to say goodbye" or "senior dogs" or "health issues".

My poor German Shepherd, technically my parents, Aries, is 8 or 9 years old. For some reason we have bonded very well, and even though I don't live with her anymore, that bond persists and is very strong. Unfortunately, she has joint issues, which have been getting progressively worse.

Recently, she tore her ACL, and now has a cast. The cast I personally don't think is working, her foot looks swollen and the cast is bending a little bit. She has always been a picky/poor eater, but lately she has been going on food strikes, not eating for several days at a time. But when I visit, her spirits are always high, and she still wants to run around.

She is the first GSD I've ever really known, and I've never been so close to any pet, and felt that connection, and is the reason why I got a GSD for myself, and just fallen in love with GSD's in general.

I don't really know where I'm going with this... I just dread the day......
CorShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awww I'm sorry about Aries Spends lots of time with her and go over there often, so she can eat!! My mom's first Rott was like that with me, so I know how you are feeling
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My Stella, was actually my son's dog first. He had her from 8 weeks old to 11 weeks old. He couldn't keep her so she has been mine since then. He is in college in another state and doesn't get to see Stella that often. But when he comes.....Stella is sooooooooooo happy. They really don't forget. I would say spend as much time with Aries as you can. Sounds like you have a special place in her heart and she has a special place in yours!
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thought I'd post an update... Unfortunately, a few weeks ago we had to put Aries down. She had gotten cancer, and by time any signs showed, it was already aggressively in her lungs. We had to put her down a week later.

It is genuinely the hardest emotional loss I've ever had to deal with. It's hard to imagine being so attached to a pet, and it's inexplicable. I'm not sure most people realize how much I miss Aries. I could say so much about her... but I think there is another board, and time, for that.

RIP Aries
CorShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

So sorry for your loss. Time has a way of healing and preserving the good memories.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your pretty baby is watching over you and jumping high above the weightless clouds...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.