German Shepherds Forum banner

Adult Crate Size?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
Our puppy is about 16 weeks now and she is outgrowing the crate we first got her so it's time to buy one that will be her permanent 'home'.

Her mom and dad are about 70 and 90 lbs, respectively.

Can anyone suggest a safe size to buy but isn't too big? Any are there any popular brands/types?

#2 · (Edited)
I have 42" wire crates for the house, they have two locks for more security. I have a plastic varikennel for the vehicle. Those have worked fine for my adult dogs...the large varikennel was too small for my adult male, but some dogs fit in them just fine.

#4 ·
I've always used the Great Dane sized crates for home use and the VariKennel 400 for small GSDs and the 500 for the larger guys in the van and on vacation.

#6 ·
My wire crate is 36"Lx20"Wx30"H and I'm shopping for a larger one. My puppy is a long and lean 80 lbs. and can just turn around in this crate. I prefer the folding ones, because they're alot more secure than the ones that just clip into place. Mine also has 2 locks on the door.

#7 ·
I've always used the wire crates (folding, two locks) that I think were 40" or 42". With Grim I switched to the Verikennel because he was flown to me in one and he loves it! I got the 42" in that, and I can't fit it into my truck. I plan to get a van for various reasons, though...so that should work. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.