German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Doggie door suggestions? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/195985-doggie-door-suggestions.html)

robfromga 12-08-2012 11:36 PM

Doggie door suggestions?

Moving out to the country!!! 7 acres and a pond! :D

We are building a 26*30 garage. Part of which I'll section off for the dogs to be cool or warm and safe, but will have a outdoor area also. I need a dog door that fits into the wall. Any suggestions? Obviously it needs to be large, our biggest gsd Zane is pushing 100# and is TALL!

My wife found one on the Homedepot site for 250ish?

warpwr 12-09-2012 02:08 AM

We have one in the back door.
It's made by PetSafe Pet Doors Electronic, Patio & Extreme Weather Doors at ps.factoryoutletstore.com
It is a nice one (our large boy Kazar fit through it with ease) and they make one to fit a wall instead of a door.

Gilly1331 12-09-2012 08:00 AM

I would def look into the electronic dog doors that the dogs wear a recieved on their collar so that the door unlocks when they are within so many feet of it to go in/out. This will keep out any potential burglars. Our neighbors before they moved had just a regular flap door that didn't have any type of lock and on several occasions they had locked themselves out and would come over and ask me to crawl through (bc im much smaller then they were) to unlock their door.

Something to this idea would be good:
http://www.petco.com/product/120329/...-Pet-Door.aspx

doggiedad 12-09-2012 09:30 AM

do you leave your dogs in the garage? remember with a door
big enough to fit your 100 lb, tall dog other big animals and people
can fit through it also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfromga (Post 2650775)
Moving out to the country!!! 7 acres and a pond! :D

>>>> We are building a 26*30 garage. Part of which I'll section off for the dogs to be cool or warm and safe, but will have a outdoor area<<<

also. I need a dog door that fits into the wall. Any suggestions? Obviously it needs to be large, our biggest gsd Zane is pushing 100# and is TALL!

My wife found one on the Homedepot site for 250ish?

kiya 12-09-2012 10:32 AM

I got my doggie door from moore pet doors I am happy wit it I can am using tablet now I'm not sure how to post link on this thing.

robfromga 12-09-2012 03:50 PM

I've thought about the collar activation type, but I think the collars would quickly be eaten...the kids play rough sometimes. No ones going to come close to the property, Zane and Simone are extremely protective. If there coming past those two the doggie door is the least of my problems.

Momto2GSDs 12-09-2012 04:38 PM

I agree with Kiya, Moore is tops! here is the link: Dog Doors for Extra Large Dogs and Giant Breeds | Big Dog Doors | Giant Breed Dog Doors
We've had pet doors for many years from Petco and others but the "Max Seal is the best"! I've always be afraid of the electronic ones in case the battery wore out or the collar came off and they couldn't get in or out.
Hope this helps!:)

BlackthornGSD 12-09-2012 10:11 PM

This site has a broad array of dog doors that can help you compare:

Dog Doors, Cat Doors | Endura Flap, Replacement Flaps, Patio Pacific | America?s Finest Pet Doors

dogfaeries 12-09-2012 10:23 PM

This is the one I'm ordering as soon as I have the funds. I hate the dog door we have. It's WINDY in Oklahoma, and I need something that doesn't blow open at the slightest breeze...

Endura Flap

BMWHillbilly 12-10-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 2650902)
do you leave your dogs in the garage? remember with a door
big enough to fit your 100 lb, tall dog other big animals and people
can fit through it also.

I figure if someone sees a doggie door THAT large then there would be some pause before entering. :D