Please critique my Kennel Design - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #31 (permalink)

I'm the OP. I appreciate the useful comments related to the kennel. That's why the original design is flexible; for example I know now I need to make it bigger or build 2 separate kennels if I actually buy 2 GSD's. I'll make sure the chain link fence (or welded fence) covers from top to bottom.

I know that a fully trained military GSDs in a combat zone is different that an untrained civilian GSD. Like comparing a Navy Seal in with a regular citizen. But a GSD with the right pedigree has a very good guard foundation, better than most dogs. I plan to spend money on basic obedience training and protection up to the dogs' ability.

I think some clarification is due to avoid misunderstandings. The location of this property is in Colombia. The construction is still happening so I want to leverage the workers and materials already in place. If I choose to do it later it will be more expensive and complicated.

Colombia is a poor country and the kennel I've designed is kind of an eccentricity. Only the very high-end breeders have something like this. Dogs are perceived as workers and need to earn their upkeep down there, especially in rural areas.

This country is not for the faint of heart, and both human and canines have a 6th sense and very developed situational awareness. When I moved to the U.S. I was surprised to see how friendly most dogs were.
Even Light-weigth mutts in Colombia are fearsome guard dogs and won't hesitate to attack an intruder. I'm not too excited about my parents moving back to Colombia...but it's what they want at this time.

The property will have full time live-in help; the husband will take care of the landscape, repairs, etc. The wife will clean and cook. They will live in a small house that is being constructed by the front gate.

My idea of the kennel is for the dogs to have a clean, comfortable place to eat and relax, or to be secured while workers or guests are on the property. Normally they'll spend a lot of time with my parents, remember...they'll be retired before hitting 60 (I'm envious...I'm a Gen X'er).

Thank you for all your help. I will definetely post the pictures of the finished kennel. Choosing the dogs will be a another chapter in this story and will definetely ask for your opinions.
kfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Thank you for the extra information - it is very helpful. As GSD lovers, we just bristle at the thought of these smart, sensitive dogs living their lives in a kennel - I didn't get the impression from your initial post that the dogs would be only kennel dogs, but you never know without the extra info!

It sounds that from your military involvement with the breed that you have a good understanding of working dogs bred for work, and the importance of training and human bonding with the the dogs.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Will the dogs be friendly to the hired help or only released after they are not around?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
This country is not for the faint of heart, and both human and canines have a 6th sense and very developed situational awareness. When I moved to the U.S. I was surprised to see how friendly most dogs were.
Even Light-weigth mutts in Colombia are fearsome guard dogs and won't hesitate to attack an intruder. I'm not too excited about my parents moving back to Colombia...but it's what they want at this time.
If there's going to be intruders, won't they have guns to shoot the dogs with?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #35 (permalink)
Elite Member

Perhaps they may even have an thermobaric weapons delivery system to destroy the fortified bunker he is setting up next to the kennel...
These dogs were originally bred to work, thats what he wants them for. Im sure they will offer a good first line of defense if he picks pups from solid bloodlines. The right dogs have the inate genetic ability to protect their persons and property.
9 tenths of prevention is proactive intimidation.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Blitz. I understand that.
I also understand quite well that guns are superior to dogs any day, and dogs are little deterrent to determined intruders.

Friends of ours home was broken into routinely, and they got a dog for protection. The thieves broke in and killed the dog and stole stuff anyway. The friends moved.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"don't think it is large enough for dog two dogs and have heard from several places that a square floor plan helps reduce the dog pacing back and forth all day."

I agree with this --- a square plan 10 x 10 (mine are 12 X 12 for each dog) does reduce fence running , more restfull. Puting them into a rectangle is like a chute and they will run and make sharp turns - too much repetitive on the turn turning elbow.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #38 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The extra info is very helpful to folks, thank you for not taking offense.

My husband grew up for several years in Venezuala because his dad had an oversees job. A lot of crime, mainly theft, and very strict gun laws and this was years ago when Americans were considered "friends". They were able to live like kings on a middle management income with servants, great food, etc.

He said his dad smuggled in a rifle, but probably bribed the right people. Who knows what would have happened if he discharged it. Of course, that is a very risky thing to do. His older (but underage) brother got caught with a small amount of marijuana and the father was able, with a lot of bribing and negotiating, to get him deported instead of thrown in prison. They don't mess around down there.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Blitz. I understand that.
I also understand quite well that guns are superior to dogs any day, and dogs are little deterrent to determined intruders.

Friends of ours home was broken into routinely, and they got a dog for protection. The thieves broke in and killed the dog and stole stuff anyway. The friends moved.
Unfortunately, nothing is effective against a determined threat.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nothing is effective against a determined threat, except an armed home owner; BUT that does NOT mean dogs can not still deter people.

Even barking dogs, in a kennel, will deter MOST people. At the very least, it is an alert to the homeowners that something is up and to be alert.

I, personally, would make the kennel bigger, but if they are truely not spending much time in it, the size sounds adequate.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.