Please critique my Kennel Design - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

If they are not house/family dogs, likely the only thing they will protect is themselves!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
If they are not house/family dogs, likely the only thing they will protect is themselves!
I wonder where the term "junk-yard dog" originated.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Just because a dog lives in a kennel, doesn't mean it's not a family member. The kennel design of OP is pretty darn awesome, and anyone going through the trouble to not only design a kennel like that, but build it too, is definitely not somebody that doesn't care about his dogs. If I ever have the money left over to build kennels for the four of mine, I will do so because a kennel is much more comfortable than a crate!

So would some of you just back off and leave that guy alone? You are not helping!

To OP: please don't take offense by some of the comments and stay. I have a friend who just became kennelmaster for his unit undergoing lots of training with his soldiers before they deploy downrange. I truly appreciate what you guys are doing.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think having kennel is a good idea. We have a standard 10X10 kennel for Ruger that we use on occasion when the dog needs to be contained. He is never left in there at night or when we are not home. There are times however, that we need him to be out from underfoot. If we have a lot of commotion in the house and the doors are open and people are coming and going it is safer for all if he is confined. When we have other peoples children over, we may put him away. If my grandmother comes over who is scared of him, we will put him away. I would say that having a kennel is an excellent idea as long as the dog is not left in it during normal living.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I DO believe it is fair to express our concerns about using a GSD in this fashion and changes (from our perception that the dogs either be penned or at large on the property at night with little interaction*) that can make it more of a win win situation, but lets keep it nice, ok?

For the design, I don't think you would want any gap between the top of the chain link and the roof of the pen that the dogs could climb through. There will be no reason for them to want to stay in the pen. A lot of folks prefer a heavy welded wire to chain link.

The design does not do much to keep the dogs dry (yes a roof but blowing rain)

I don't think it is large enough for dog two dogs and have heard from several places that a square floor plan helps reduce the dog pacing back and forth all day.

*I think that is what we are reading into what you said because that is all you mentioned. Nothing about anyone actually spending any time with the dogs.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-06-2012 at 09:07 PM.
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Just because a dog lives in a kennel, doesn't mean it's not a family member. The kennel design of OP is pretty darn awesome, and anyone going through the trouble to not only design a kennel like that, but build it too, is definitely not somebody that doesn't care about his dogs. If I ever have the money left over to build kennels for the four of mine, I will do so because a kennel is much more comfortable than a crate!

So would some of you just back off and leave that guy alone? You are not helping!

To OP: please don't take offense by some of the comments and stay. I have a friend who just became kennelmaster for his unit undergoing lots of training with his soldiers before they deploy downrange. I truly appreciate what you guys are doing.
The dog is for his folks, who are building their retirement home in South America. Can't have any weapons, so the dogs are pretty much going to be purchased as a measure of security. And the son who does not own the dogs is going to build them a kennel for their dogs. Which is a little different. It does not mean the people won't care about the dogs, but it does come across like the dogs will be stabled during the day and let loose to protect the property at home.

Personally, I do not think it is correct that the dogs will not protect if they are not house dogs. I think dogs with limited socialization and human interaction may be a great deterrent, it is likely they will be territorial and bark at anything that approaches their fence, kind of like junk yard dogs.

There are some red flags here:

1. The OP has not owned the breed, but has seen them work in the service. That does not come close to knowing what it takes to raise, care for, train a GSD. They are not born fully trained.

2. The OP is buying the dogs for his folks. Are they on board? If they are, why aren't they figuring out how to house and care for the dogs? Late 50s is not aged. Nothing wrong with a son choosing to do something for his folks, but dogs are a lot more involved than buying them a membership to a country club.

3. The plan for the dogs is to be kenneled all day, and run loose at night to protect the property. It does sound like we are considering something that will eat and poop and shed, but not necessarily something that has a personality as intricate as a GSD.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

I am seriously sick and tired of this forum and people's assumptions without knowing anything about the OP and his family!
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I am seriously sick and tired of this forum and people's assumptions without knowing anything about the OP and his family!

All you know about him is that he claims to be military. This is the internet. He can be anyone and can say anything. I personally think that he is probably saying exactly who he is and what he intends to do and for what reasons. And people SHOULD state what they see as possible issues with that. These are opinions, and if you come to a GSD enthusiast site, and suggest something, expect people to give their opinions on that.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Mrs.K, people genuinely care here and if you are sick and tired of that, I am sorry but that is your own business. As long as folks are polite there is no reason they can't both answer the OPs questions and express their concerns about the plans.

There has only been a statement made that the dogs will be in the run during the day (or when sick) and running at large on the property at night. I don't think any assumptions are being made.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I wonder where the term "junk-yard dog" originated.

yours? if not, look it up on Google?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.